Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Donate them (preferable) or Facebook Marketplace. I don't participate on Facebook for anything other than selling this sort of mistake. Skipro's solution is a darn good one, if applicable.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act2 View Post
I feel your pain. When I do that, I donate the stuff.

This is what I would do.
It makes me feel better to give to someone who wouldnít be able to afford it otherwise.
And then I also donít feel bad about spending more money on myself.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0669.JPG (406.4 KB, 36 views)
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:13 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^^^^

Ahhhhhhh! I feel better already. Aloha

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

So if I stopped doing stupid things and cheering myself with ice cream maybe I'd get thinner instead of fatter.

Good news is my new chairs are in already so should be delivered later this week which will take away the remaining doubt but not the guilt. Once here I will see how to donate. Not too many places will pick up furniture these days.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
So if I stopped doing stupid things and cheering myself with ice cream maybe I'd get thinner instead of fatter.

Good news is my new chairs are in already so should be delivered later this week which will take away the remaining doubt but not the guilt. Once here I will see how to donate. Not too many places will pick up furniture these days.

Ice cream fixes everything!

Do you have a habitat for humanity in your area? Ours has a resell store that takes donations specifically for helping people moving into homes.
If you have any organization for homeless services they might have an executive director that you could talk to.
Other than that it is really difficult to donate furniture these days. Goodwill in my area doesnít accept any.

I hope you like your new chairs.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #47

Quote:

We sold some stuff at a consignment store that specializes in "nearly new" furniture. They picked it up (for a fee) and mailed a check. Easy peasy
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I research purchases more thoroughly than anyone I know, to minimize mistakes, so I donít often regret purchases.
Yep, same here. I suffer from analysis paralysis so I rarely regret anything I buy. Most of the time I invest way too much research into things that aren't really that important. But that's the way I'm wired.

That said, we have shopped for chairs, mattresses, etc. that feel wonderful in the store. They've had hundreds of butts sitting in them, breaking them in to make them comfortable. When the new chair arrives at home it hasn't been broken in and can often feel very stiff and uncomfortable. Give it some time to wear a little before you toss it out. Once the cushions adjust to your shape you may find you love it again.

If not, stick them out at the road with a free sign and I'm sure a college kid will grab them in a hurry.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Purchase something to cheer myself up.
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Let you cat or dog sit on it.
Boudreaux, our Basset, is currently looking at me from our old leather couch. I'm on a new sectional. We've told him that when the other new couch comes this month he's out of luck, no more couches. Check back with me in September and we'll see who won.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Check back with me in September and we'll see who won.
You don't stand a chance.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I research purchases more thoroughly than anyone I know, to minimize mistakes, so I donít often regret purchases. And I never buy on impulse for anything significant. But I get fooled from time to time like anyone. I learn from the mistake, but I donít beat myself up about it. If I can sell it and recover some expense, or give it to a friend who might like it, Iíll do that. Sometimes Iíll throw it away so I donít have it there reminding me I messed up.

When I do get fooled I hold a grudge forever - e.g. I got screwed on a 1997 Volvo so Iíll never buy another Volvo as long as I live (even though theyíve changed owners since then). I guess thatís how I get even with merchants who fool me - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on meÖ
I tend to do the same on large purchases. But in some cases Iíve loosened up. In my early years I researched and obsessed and finally made a decision and inevitably with that much sunk into the purchase, it wonít meet your high expectations. So now I do some basic research make a quick decision and move on. Looking for good enough, not perfection.

A few years ago we did a major remodel and part of that was a couch. actually a sectional - but it is well made with good lines and looks good (for a sectional). However it was god awfully expensive. Finally I relented. In retrospect it has been functional but the upholstery which looks good isnít terribly comfortable. Iíd have rather done something different and cheaper, but I donít know what that would be. Nonetheless I made the decision with a deliberate and rational process so Iím not obsessing over it.
JBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Boudreaux, our Basset, is currently looking at me from our old leather couch. I'm on a new sectional. We've told him that when the other new couch comes this month he's out of luck, no more couches. Check back with me in September and we'll see who won.
I bet I know who will win.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #54

How did I not know humane society had a thrift store? Now I feel good if they can sell this dumb thing. I didn't know could donate furniture there.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Long story short, I got a couple of recliners last month and well I can't stand them. Very firm, hurt my back. Can't return so need to start over. Put a deposit down on some others but they may not come for months.

But the gist of it is I wasted a fair amount of money on this so far and need a little cheering up. I keep telling myself I am allowed to make mistakes and that having a chair or even 2 that does not cause pain is not actually extravagant but nevertheless. . .

It is still stressful, especially when the new chair(s) are not here so IDK really if they will work. (I held 2 but could go for just 1 in the end). I certainly wish I had just got one of this one to try. . . But honestly I got overexcited at the idea of having matching furniture for once. And really these are not $$ its just well . . .

I figured you guys would totally understand this because we all look so hard for those turbo tax sales. . .
This is why I often purchase from Costco. Furniture, mattresses, and other somewhat expensive 'preference' items can be returned without question if you don't like them.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Me too
Old 08-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

Me too

Last fall I sat on a very comfy chair with an ottoman at an AirBNB and took a photo of the label so I could buy one like it. I spent over $4,000 including taxes on my version with custom quirky fabric. Hubby and I were dismayed when it finally arrived and it dominated the living room. We hadnít realized how large was and on top of that, it was too soft for a chair that I read in and do hand crafts in. It was good for napping and not much else. We moved it around to different rooms but didnít love it anywhere.

Then a daughter out of state come in to visit and parked herself in the chair every chance she had all week and pronounced it the best chair she had ever sat it. It went home with her when she leftÖfortunately she was driving a big pickup truck so it was easy for her to take.

I regret spending $4K on the darned chair but Iíd rather be the kind of person who just owns my mistakes and moves on. Life is too short to spend it with your butt in an uncomfortable chair. 😉
GlitterGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:18 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
This is why I often purchase from Costco. Furniture, mattresses, and other somewhat expensive 'preference' items can be returned without question if you don't like them.
I like Costco's return policy, but I rarely find any furniture there that I like. Typically, they have examples available and I'll try them out while DW shops.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:46 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

We went LZBoy and bought their top of the line recliner. After a few months, it just wasn't what I was looking for. Bit the bullet and sold it on CL for about 50%. We now have a set of Valencia theatre recliners that I bought strictly off the internet reviews. They are good, but not awesome. I hate buying new mattresses, too. You really need some time in one to know for sure.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone on earth has made mistakes if buying something. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You may find that you can donate the chairs to a charity that will really appreciate them. We donated my mother's recliner to a refugee group and they were thrilled. They had a client who was getting ready for shoulder surgery and would need to sleep upright for a few weeks and that chair was exactly what he needed.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote