How do you cheer yourself up after mistake purchase?

I research purchases more thoroughly than anyone I know, to minimize mistakes, so I don’t often regret purchases. And I never buy on impulse for anything significant. But I get fooled from time to time like anyone. I learn from the mistake, but I don’t beat myself up about it. If I can sell it and recover some expense, or give it to a friend who might like it, I’ll do that. Sometimes I’ll throw it away so I don’t have it there reminding me I messed up.

When I do get fooled I hold a grudge forever - e.g. I got screwed on a 1997 Volvo so I’ll never buy another Volvo as long as I live (even though they’ve changed owners since then). I guess that’s how I get even with merchants who fool me - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me:LOL:

I tend to do the same on large purchases. But in some cases I’ve loosened up. In my early years I researched and obsessed and finally made a decision and inevitably with that much sunk into the purchase, it won’t meet your high expectations. So now I do some basic research make a quick decision and move on. Looking for good enough, not perfection.

A few years ago we did a major remodel and part of that was a couch. actually a sectional - but it is well made with good lines and looks good (for a sectional). However it was god awfully expensive. Finally I relented. In retrospect it has been functional but the upholstery which looks good isn’t terribly comfortable. I’d have rather done something different and cheaper, but I don’t know what that would be. Nonetheless I made the decision with a deliberate and rational process so I’m not obsessing over it.

Boudreaux, our Basset, is currently looking at me from our old leather couch. I'm on a new sectional. We've told him that when the other new couch comes this month he's out of luck, no more couches. Check back with me in September and we'll see who won.

I bet I know who will win.

How did I not know humane society had a thrift store? Now I feel good if they can sell this dumb thing. I didn't know could donate furniture there.

Last edited:
Long story short, I got a couple of recliners last month and well I can't stand them. Very firm, hurt my back. Can't return so need to start over. Put a deposit down on some others but they may not come for months.

But the gist of it is I wasted a fair amount of money on this so far and need a little cheering up. I keep telling myself I am allowed to make mistakes and that having a chair or even 2 that does not cause pain is not actually extravagant but nevertheless. . .

It is still stressful, especially when the new chair(s) are not here so IDK really if they will work. (I held 2 but could go for just 1 in the end). I certainly wish I had just got one of this one to try. . . But honestly I got overexcited at the idea of having matching furniture for once. And really these are not $$ its just well . . .

I figured you guys would totally understand this because we all look so hard for those turbo tax sales. . .

This is why I often purchase from Costco. Furniture, mattresses, and other somewhat expensive 'preference' items can be returned without question if you don't like them.

Me too

Last fall I sat on a very comfy chair with an ottoman at an AirBNB and took a photo of the label so I could buy one like it. I spent over $4,000 including taxes on my version with custom quirky fabric. Hubby and I were dismayed when it finally arrived and it dominated the living room. We hadn’t realized how large was and on top of that, it was too soft for a chair that I read in and do hand crafts in. It was good for napping and not much else. We moved it around to different rooms but didn’t love it anywhere.

Then a daughter out of state come in to visit and parked herself in the chair every chance she had all week and pronounced it the best chair she had ever sat it. It went home with her when she left…fortunately she was driving a big pickup truck so it was easy for her to take.

I regret spending $4K on the darned chair but I’d rather be the kind of person who just owns my mistakes and moves on. Life is too short to spend it with your butt in an uncomfortable chair. 😉

This is why I often purchase from Costco. Furniture, mattresses, and other somewhat expensive 'preference' items can be returned without question if you don't like them.

I like Costco's return policy, but I rarely find any furniture there that I like. Typically, they have examples available and I'll try them out while DW shops.

We went LZBoy and bought their top of the line recliner. After a few months, it just wasn't what I was looking for. Bit the bullet and sold it on CL for about 50%. We now have a set of Valencia theatre recliners that I bought strictly off the internet reviews. They are good, but not awesome. I hate buying new mattresses, too. You really need some time in one to know for sure.

Everyone on earth has made mistakes if buying something. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You may find that you can donate the chairs to a charity that will really appreciate them. We donated my mother's recliner to a refugee group and they were thrilled. They had a client who was getting ready for shoulder surgery and would need to sleep upright for a few weeks and that chair was exactly what he needed.

Back
Top Bottom