Join Early Retirement Today

How do you cheer yourself up after mistake purchase?
Old 07-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How do you cheer yourself up after mistake purchase?

Long story short, I got a couple of recliners last month and well I can't stand them. Very firm, hurt my back. Can't return so need to start over. Put a deposit down on some others but they may not come for months.

But the gist of it is I wasted a fair amount of money on this so far and need a little cheering up. I keep telling myself I am allowed to make mistakes and that having a chair or even 2 that does not cause pain is not actually extravagant but nevertheless. . .

It is still stressful, especially when the new chair(s) are not here so IDK really if they will work. (I held 2 but could go for just 1 in the end). I certainly wish I had just got one of this one to try. . . But honestly I got overexcited at the idea of having matching furniture for once. And really these are not $$ its just well . . .

I figured you guys would totally understand this because we all look so hard for those turbo tax sales. . .
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 05:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Look to sell them, get back some of what you paid, buy new ones, and move on.

Beating yourself up about it won't change things, so no sense in doing that. Certainly this cannot be the biggest mistake financially in your entire life. Don't let it consume you.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:42 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post

Beating yourself up about it won't change things, so no sense in doing that. Certainly this cannot be the biggest mistake financially in your entire life. Don't let it consume you.
+1

I hate it when buying something that turns out to be a waste. But then, I have lost a lot more than that with bad financial decisions, so just have to cut myself some slack.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #4

Maybe family members like them and can use them.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #5

Try to sell on Craigslist

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #6

Yep I know you guys are right and heck I have lost way more in the stock market than these cost. Normally I keep even bad purchases for awhile and try to make them work so this cutting my loses early is kind of new thing I need to practice at. I always try to make due.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Man, I hate that when that happens!! I guess for me I just move on, but it hurts for a while.

I than tell myself I'm very lucky person to be able to buy another product because I can and so can everyone here. It still hurts because of our frugal life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a fanatic about try before you buy on furniture and mattresses. In fact, we just purchased 2 recliners. Tried the product in the store and was pleased, so we ordered 2 in the fabric/leather that we wanted. When they arrived, they felt great and we were happy, until we reclined on one...and it would not open/close on carpet...the leg thing got caught.
Very long story short, called the store, they sent repairman out, and now they are going to replace not only the bad one, but the good one as well because they have a slightly different cushion material now. I am very impressed with the store, and will do business with them in the future.
(other than getting 2 recliners replaced, this has nothing to do with the OP's question/concern...but I thought I would share anyway)
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:17 PM   #9

Let you cat or dog sit on it.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:28 PM   #10

Yep, could happen. I need to get a new pet but I have not been ready since I lost the last one.

I know I will feel better when I get the new stuff too.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post

+2
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Long story short, I got a couple of recliners last month and well I can't stand them. Very firm, hurt my back. Can't return so need to start over. Put a deposit down on some others but they may not come for months.

But the gist of it is I wasted a fair amount of money on this so far and need a little cheering up. I keep telling myself I am allowed to make mistakes and that having a chair or even 2 that does not cause pain is not actually extravagant but nevertheless. . .

It is still stressful, especially when the new chair(s) are not here so IDK really if they will work. (I held 2 but could go for just 1 in the end). I certainly wish I had just got one of this one to try. . . But honestly I got overexcited at the idea of having matching furniture for once. And really these are not $$ its just well . . .I figured you guys would totally understand this because we all look so hard for those turbo tax sales. . .
I used to get all torqued up. Now, I just say. "Boy, I'm glad I got money!" Financially mistakes don't even register anymore and even "the principle of the thing" is meaningless. What "principle"? I see no principle involved. I buy so few things anyway.

Then, if it's something I really don't want to keep/can't use, I give it to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or the local shelter. Just get rid of that POS. Everybody's a winner.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There’s an old decision making principle that says sunk costs don’t count.
Go buy some new ones and be happy.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Why can’t you return them? It seems like the store might want a shot at selling you 2 more recliners if they offer some trade in value or take them on consignment.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:21 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

This is one of the reasons that I prefer buying a lot my furniture second hand. I spend less and if it doesn't work out, I don't feel that attached to holding on it since the investment was minimal. The other reason is that I have young kids who will likely damage anything new anyway
pacman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Lots of good advice so far.

Just remind yourself it won't matter in 50 years.

Find someone to give the old one(s) to who will be happy with ANYTHING because they have nothing. You'll feel so good that you'll forget your mistake.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Why can’t you return them? It seems like the store might want a shot at selling you 2 more recliners if they offer some trade in value or take them on consignment.
They are not interested, they offered a 25% discount on a new chair but they have nothing of the right size and features in stock and won't discount something that has to be ordered.

Thanks for cheering me up everyone. Once I get the replacements I can donate these.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel your pain. When I do that, I donate the stuff.
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #19

This isn't anything that can't be fixed. I also bought theater seats for DW and I and they were not just uncomfortable, but the lumbar adjustment was way too high. I contacted an upholsterer who came to the house and replaced the foam/padding with the right stuff as well as form fitted to our body shapes. It cost me $300 for each seat, but now it's like laying in a cloud. I would have otherwise walked away from over $2200. The extra $600 saved the day.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
This isn't anything that can't be fixed. I also bought theater seats for DW and I and they were not just uncomfortable, but the lumbar adjustment was way too high. I contacted an upholsterer who came to the house and replaced the foam/padding with the right stuff as well as form fitted to our body shapes. It cost me $300 for each seat, but now it's like laying in a cloud. I would have otherwise walked away from over $2200. The extra $600 saved the day.
Well now that is a clever idea!