How do you use a Fidelity Investment Center?

Kelor

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a large percentage of my passive assets sitting at Fidelity, and I want to make sure I'm taking advantage of everything they have to offer. I have no desire to use their advisory services.

I am already well positioned with all insurance products, and have a clear understanding of how I'm going to withdraw funds during retirement.

Is there any reason to go into a Fidelity Investment Center other than for a free cup of coffee?

If you need a signature guarantee to transfer money, or a notary, they will do that for free for their customers.

The location near me also offers bottled water and hard candy. : )

Now we are talking. Hard candy!! ;)

"Hello Sir, would you like to meet with one of our advisors?"

"No thank you, I'm just here for a Werthers and a water!"

The office nearest to me seems to be remodeled every time I go in (once every 2-3-4 years). They move the free coffee machine around.

The last time I went in was because someone from Denver (I think) was making the rounds of the offices and it was suggested that I meet with him (I forget why). Otherwise no, there's no reason to just drop in with random questions (for which the local reps will probably pick up the phone and call the 800 number just like you can).

I've seldom been in my local office. Once to transfer some assets from another firm to Fidelity. Once within the last couple of months to make a deposit in person for a 12 month rolling 60 day HSA rollover to my husband's new Fidelity HSA. (It was slightly amusing when the Fidelity guy asked about the check being drawn on our Charles Schwab checking account.)

I gave up on the regional brokerage that sold me some muni bonds and wanted to transfer in kind to Fido. Super easy for me to call Fido and they filled out all the forms for me so I just stop into the Investment Center to sign.

That used to offer live seminars w/ a free box lunch frequently but those are long gone. I like the option of speaking face to face.

I've been to my office at least 3 times to change accounts around, nice place, nice people. And right in the same strip mall with a killer pizza place where I have lunch before or after.

It's very close to my local REI store, which I frequent regularly, and I can vouch for the FIDO office having pretty good coffee available!

Well, not to brag, but for the pleasure of paying my FA (not FIDO) a percent of AUM, they provide not only coffee and water, but all sorts of beverages including sodas and juices. Along with candy, there are various snacks like granola bars and pretzels. I’m pretty sure they’d call for a pizza if I wanted one.

But, back to the OP. I mainly used the FIDO office when I was doing my planning and it was helpful to speak to an advisor directly. When it became more of a sales pitch, I stopped going. I do appreciate having an office close by though. You can do most everything on the phone, but sometimes it’s better to talk to someone in person. I preferred to handle any deposits directly with the branch versus mailing it in.

Notary
Deposits
Seminars
Free pens
Talk to someone when you're lonely

I recently moved everything over to FIDO. DW and I met with a consultant to set up a CMA and get to know each other. I did all of the IRA's online - which took all of 3 days. I went to the office to facilitate a 529 plan rollover (used front desk). Also, went into the office (front desk) to transfer money from my CMA to my kids FIDO accounts. I've had 3 soft drinks and several mini candy bars. No coffee, yet.

At some point in the next year or so I'm going to visit to discuss SS claiming options and might go in to go over FIDO's retirement planner. I will probably have to charge them for the knowledge that I provide them.

My only complaint so far is my FIDO consultant is too busy to return calls and emails. On the positive side, I don't have to worry about him cold calling me with some great investment.

I've deposited a few large checks at the local Fidelity center. And one actual stock certificate. They're my backup now that I don't have a local bank account.

We transferred inherited IRA accounts at my DM's local center. She has someone there she can call, or visit if she needs to. She won't do much online.

Nice to have it available if necessary. No need to go regularly.

Now we are talking. Hard candy!! ;)

"Hello Sir, would you like to meet with one of our advisors?"

"No thank you, I'm just here for a Werthers and a water!"

Our center has the Dove chocolates (probably higher fees too) :cool:

I meet with my (no fee) Account Executive at the local Fido office every 12-18 months. It's about a 15-minute drive from where I live. It is also near several other places I frequent midday on weekdays, so I can usually combine my visit there with something else I have to do in the area.

A few years ago, when I lost online access to Fido for a few months, I made a fund purchase there. And when I first ERed in 2008, I met with my AE so we could handle the processing of 2 large checks, each between $200k and $300k, and distribute one of those checks within the Rollover IRA.

I don't drink coffee.

Oh boy, all my Fido rep wants to do is sell me annuities :( Very nice guy, but I get the 3 month call like clockwork. One would think he’d get the hint. Last month I flat out informed him, nicely, that we were not interested and if we ever were to be we’ll let him know. Bet he calls again though!!

Oh boy, all my Fido rep wants to do is sell me annuities :( Very nice guy, but I get the 3 month call like clockwork. One would think he’d get the hint. Last month I flat out informed him, nicely, that we were not interested and if we ever were to be we’ll let him know. Bet he calls again though!!

10 years with Fido and no one has tried to sell me an annuity.

I've never been in a Fidelity store despite having accounts with them since the mid-1980s, but I did tell my kid who had a part-time job across the street from it to "Go over to Fidelity and tell them you want to open a Roth IRA and get it done." Even so, they screwed up some things.

Notary
Deposits
Seminars
Free pens
Talk to someone when you're lonely
Those would be my reasons, pretty much in order. Especially for their own forms. VG can be a pain with their forms, the ones that need a notary or medallion guarantee.

I have been with them for several years now, I’m thinking around 20 years. I’ve visited office a handful of times. First was to transfer IRAs from another advisor and they did all the keying on a computer there. There were couple other times I needed a face to face. About 5 Years ago I decided to meet with an advisor to get another take on my plan for retirement. We got an advisor assigned and she is great. Not selling anything, advises to make a change when I’m missing something or just wrong, and gets along with DW great. I wanted an advisor to 1) validate my plan or show where I need to adjust 2) work with DW If I go before her, and 3) be there if we live long enough that we aren’t able to manage funds like I can today.

Last year she got a job in a new location and we were assigned a new advisor. Didn’t click with me or DW so now back with the original Fido advisor. If you don’t need or want an advisor just say no. If you want one get one you click with.

In 5 years we visited 3 times with good advisor (sometimes I want to sit face to face.) and once with advisor we didn’t like.

No need to visit unless there is something needing face time. I dropped off a copy of mom’s death certificate so they could overnight to appropriate office. Other times needed to file paperwork which I can just drop with front desk staff, when needed to be signed or notarized. Oh, and took sister and brother to local office when mom passed to get paperwork filled out and submitted for split of mom’s account.

YMMV, but I use office when needed.

Pretty soon all the ROMEO groups will be meeting at Fidelity instead of McDonald's when they quit giving coffee refills.
Once upon a time brokerage offices had stock market boards/tickers in the lobby so you could see what was going on. Maybe they should test that out again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom