6 things early retirees do differently:
  1. Have happy marriages
  2. Appreciate what they have
  3. Follow their parents' example
  4. Teach their kids about money
  5. Keep calm and carry on
  6. Worry about an early death
FIREdToBeExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
gone traveling

Read it too. Agree with it completely.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How ridiculous is this statistic...

-Teach their kids about money. Only 14 percent of people planning to retire early taught their children about money and finances, but that was well above the 6 percent of people not planning to retire who did so.

Seriously? No wonder consumerism is so freaking rampant in our country.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

If I followed my parents' example, I would be dead broke, with no savings or retirement, after filing for my second bankruptcy. My parents taught me everything NOT to do with money, TBH.
OctopusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I love number 6, more people were worried about dying early then running out of money before death, so that means they were "worried" about dying.

Doesn't that really mean they saved and planned for a great retirement and aren't "worried" about money?

Who writes these articles?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Well, having enough money lets you worry about other things, like possible early death.

"Success is having to worry about every damn thing in the world, except money." - Johnny Cash

“Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.” - Spike Milligan

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Instead of calling it worrying about dying young, I'd say the realization that life can be short. Enjoy it while you can.

We have had a number of friends pass away these last few years before or shortly after they retired.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctopusPrime View Post
If I followed my parents' example, I would be dead broke, with no savings or retirement, after filing for my second bankruptcy. My parents taught me everything NOT to do with money, TBH.
Maybe they were following the school of thinking that if you can't be a good example then at least be a horrible warning?
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Misses the Point
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Misses the Point

This article is largely worthless, as it misses what is the primary factor in early retirement: LBYM.

The "behaviors" discussed in the article seem mostly derivative versus causative. And, even those that are partly causative (Happy Marriage [read "no divorce"], and Financial Hardship) don't indicate what I would call large differences in early retiree/non-early retiree behavior stats.

The closest the article comes to listing a useful "behavior" is at the beginning when it says that early retirees 'make it a priority' and 'make a plan.'
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
This article is largely worthless, as it misses what is the primary factor in early retirement: LBYM.
That seemed to be the #1 finding in the more research oriented book The Millionaire Next Door - LBYMs.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
That seemed to be the #1 finding in the more research oriented book The Millionaire Next Door - LBYMs.
I loved that book! Along with "Your Money or Your Life", it was one of the seminal financial books early in my career.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
How ridiculous is this statistic...

-Teach their kids about money. Only 14 percent of people planning to retire early taught their children about money and finances, but that was well above the 6 percent of people not planning to retire who did so.

Seriously? No wonder consumerism is so freaking rampant in our country.
That one struck me too. US is fast on our way to becoming the next financial basket case unless things turn around. It's WAY beyond not LBYM, but consistently LAYM. Too many truly EXPECT to reap an unending $$$ harvest from others (Gov't, 'rich' relatives, etc.) without planting their own seeds (saving) & nurturing the crops (investing).
As old saying goes- Money Don't Grow on Trees.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
As old saying goes- Money Don't Grow on Trees.
US paper currency is made from cotton, which comes from cotton bushes or trees, so money doesn't grow on trees, it grows in them.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Our currency is made from plastic!

This week I had coffee with two former colleagues in their early sixties. Both had retired early..with incentives.

The topic of life insurance came up. I said that I no longer had any. One person he still kept his life insurance in order to cover his debts. The other said he had debts but did not bother with life insurance.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Paper or plastic? Too old fashioned!

Money nowadays is "in the cloud". It's just bits and bytes on banks' computers, and can be created, trillions of it, just by a few keystrokes. That saves trees and petroleum, hence is "greener".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Instead of calling it worrying about dying young, I'd say the realization that life can be short.
Or....are people who RE already predisposed to worry about dying young, hence, retiring early as a result, and not the other way around? The result vs the cause.

A bit like the old "trailer parks attract tornadoes" axiom
Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctopusPrime View Post
So...they taught you something...
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Agreed, but that's almost by definition. If you LBYM, you save money and may be able to retire early. If you don't, you don't and you can't.

We have control over some of the things that help us LBYM (spend carefully, learn about investing, stay in school and work hard so you get a job that pays well).

But there's also a lot of luck involved in LBYM. Having the opportunity to get a good education, avoiding layoffs, avoiding serious illness, etc.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early, early retirement