How far from your all-time high are you?

For those not familiar with my holdings....I was and still am a bank stock guy....inherited it....so with that in mind....

My all time high is HERE $$$$$.....and my current postion is.....

it's coming.......

I know it's here somewhere....... :angel:

still way down HERE $ .....so no where near my all time high....although MUCH better than the March 2009 lows :greetings10:

Pre-crash peak: 5/2008. Crisis low (well, so far at least): March 9, 2009, down about 37% from peak. Currently at an all time high, including new funds, but still down from peak about 3% after adjusting for new funds. Decided to take the plunge and FIRE in March 2009 (retired May 2009), which was a bit scary to do given the market at the time. [One of these days I will get around to filling out a "Hi I am" entry. ]

I track my holdings daily (mixture of tax deferred mutual funds and non tax deferred equities accounts, TIPS, CDs, etc.)

Oh, by the way....is the existence of this thread an indicator that the market top is near?

I'm down 5.5% from my Oct of 07 high. Retired Dec of 06 but went back to work PT last May and have been letting the port grow and replacing some of my losses.
I feel a lot better now than I did last year at this time. As of this month I'm 1 year from SS at 62 which will also help out a bit. Almost ready to hang up my spurs again, I'm much better at doing nothing.

Sorry I'm getting to this thread late, but I suggest including info about whether the poster is retired and draining their net worth, or working and adding to it. Makes it easier to do apples to apples comparisons. Even over a couple of years that can make a 10+% balance difference.
Agreed, which is why I qualified my remarks by stating that I *am* a bit higher now thanks to new contributions in the last 2.5 years, but if you ignored new contributions since October 2007 I suspect I'm still about 15% below that high watermark.

I suggest including info about whether the poster is retired
Yes I'm retired.
and draining their net worth
Yes, I'm draining. (just ask my DH :rolleyes:)
or adding to it.
Stopped adding to it in February of last year.

My funds are at an all time high now. I have no debt and own my mortgage free home.

IRA down 23% from peak, but that is after withdrawing maybe 5-6% over the past 2 years to get through an extended period of unemployment.

Recovery continues.

From a financial perspective:

• Retired since 2007
  • Investments peaked in Jun08
  • Investments dropped 40% by Dec. 08
  • Investments have recovered to ~80% of peak

From a non-financial perspective, I think my best all time high was sometime during the summer of 1968, if you were referring to that?:D

Speaking of retirement assets, I am at my peak of $178K (would have been $183K, but I took a withdrawal of my Roth for $5K.) I've had pretty good luck doing international arbitraging in my 401K, and then asset allocation between large cap and small cap. I'm actually up 35% relative to the market since 2007. I had an even better run in 2002-2004 when I doubled my money relative to the market, making about 200 trades in my 401K (up until the damn brokerage scandal severley limited the number of trades I could do.)

Not bad for only having $42K when I quit my last full time job at the beginning of 1997.

Of course, I went into the hole big time on my non-retirement account, and am currently going through a Chapter 7 in major part because of it.

How much did your net worth drop during this recession and where are you now? Thought it’d be interesting to compare notes. Here’s mine:
High – November 2007
Lowest point since then – Feb 2009 (down 30% from Nov 2007 high)
Now – Mar 2010 – down 6.5 from Nov 2007 high
Note: I’m still working, so my net worth includes my savings from my paycheck.

Still working/accumulating as fast as we can so that certainly skews the numbers...rice and beans, rice and beans...

High - June 2008
Low - March 2009 (down 28% from June 2008 high)
Now - at new high - 17% above June 2008 high

I fully retired Oct. 2007, which was also my net worth peak. Wife is still working part time. We are down around 5% from then. I try not to think about the 2009 low's.

at our last meeting our portfolio was basically net zero--we have technically made up losses since high point in 2008
but that did not take into account fees that we are paying with our current advisor

my husband will not handle our accounts on his own now that they have grown significantly and he values the tax advice/planning since our financial advisor is CPA in firm that does personal/business tax...

Maybe 5-10 degrees, depending on circumstances.

Ha

My graphs look like everybody else's. Over the past few years I have been leveraging into investment properties, leading to a divergence between NW and total assets (TA). NW fell 15% during the crash and is now at an all time high. TA fell only 8% and are also at an all time high (which happens to be a nice number). As the properties pay their own mortgages, the NW line will gradually approach the TA line over time.

Diversification is good!

I'm in the current all-time high camp, probably mainly due to in aggressive accumulation phase. The last few years have worked out great if you're employed and stashing money away every month.

my stocks, mutual funds, iras, annuities, & 401k are right about back at the top of where they were (although i sunk about $100k into them during the last year, so mabey it does not count).
my real estate holdings equity is still down about $500-$600k though.
i am 84% of the way to making my goal, but would be more comfy with about $800k -$1m more net worth. then i walk away from my crap job & california & move to our property in oregon.

I peaked in May of 08, dropped by about 30% by Mar-09, and recovered fully in January of this year, net of new contributions.

I'm at a new all time high now.

Portfolio peaked 15 OCT 07 :D
w/o new contributions, down 18% from peak. :(
w/ new contributions, now at 96% of peak. :)

( Real Estate holdings..another story altogether.)

Where's my bailout? :whistle:

Doing ok here - probably at a high, though most of our stash is in rental property. We put a value on the property about three years ago and never adjusted it, so don't have any ephemeral losses to bemoan. As a for instance, at the end of 2009 we finally sold a little rental house after a year of trying and it went for about $5k more than we figured it's worth as being - and that's after putting on a new roof, paying a realtor who brought a buyer, and doing all the little gimmees the buyer wanted. Good deal, makes me feel our old guesstimate of property value is pretty close. Some value in not counting chickens too closely or often?
Private money loans we've made have mostly worked out well, our small stock holdings are up, but we sold a bunch of losers - over all our stock investing time we are up a couple points, but earnings are not anywhere near rental or loan income.

We are still in the heavy accumulation phase with only 2-4 years before we pull the plug. In terms of retirement investment dollars we are ahead of our previous highs in October of 2007 by about 5%. In regards to our paper losses:

High: October, 2007
Low: March, 2009 -39.5%
April 1, 2020: -4.8%

I'm just about at my all time high. But that was from a few years ago, and I've been DCAing the whole time.

401K's

March 2009 down 20 % From July 2008

March 2010 up 60% from March 2009

Sold 90% of all equities/index funds in September 2008 :whistle:. Started to DCA back into Equities/Index Funds from December 2009 - December 2010
Asset Allocation 65 / 35

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom