How has your portfolio done in 2011?

2.19% on government Thrift Savings Plan (L Income fund that is very conservatively invested).

If you are going to throw us under the bus when we're 'wrong' don't forget to give us due credit when we're 'right'... :)

But you guys weren't wrong! And that's why I had to yield! Anything else is a woulda, coulda, shoulda!

When it comes to investing, I don't care about RIGHT or WRONG! I just want more MONEY!

Wow, BMY up 33% this year. I own ABT and although it had a nice return, not that good. Oh well..........
Almost sold BMY this year, because its prospects were not really that good, according to some research reports that I read. I was about to pull trigger on it mid-year, but then got side-tracked by other larger positions that were spiraling down.

Ended up not selling nor buying much, other than a bitty bit of a gold-short fund (GLL) that got me 30%+. Of course, did not have enough of that also.

Last edited:
Final number: -6.5%.

Not making any withdraws. Almost all of the loss is non-us investments which were -14.6%.

Down 6.9% for the year. For the same reason - half the portfolio is in international investments which had double digit losses in 2011. And my US investments were weighted to sectors that for the most part underperformed the S&P 500. 100% equities as well, so relative outperformance of bonds didn't help me a bit!

Of course these negative results aren't so bad after coming off of 2 years of great results in 2009 and 2010 (37% and 19% respectively). With my portfolio set up the way it is, frequent non-correlation to broad US markets is to be expected.

Wow, BMY up 33% this year. I own ABT and although it had a nice return, not that good.
Here's another dividend paying stock I have that did well: CAG (ConAgra) with 3.6% yield. Its chart for 2011 overlays that of ABT (3.4% div) very nicely.

See what I said about 2011 being the year of the dividend stocks? For those who care, what's your bet that this trend will continue?

After a tough year in international funds I have to throw another 50K at it this week, wish me luck.

Good Luck!

I need it too!

Here's another dividend paying stock I have that did well: CAG (ConAgra) with 3.6% yield. Its chart for 2011 overlays that of ABT (3.4% div) very nicely.

See what I said about 2011 being the year of the dividend stocks? For those who care, what's your bet that this trend will continue?

Me? I have no clue. I'm planning to hold on to what dividend stocks I have as I need the income. Plus as my cd's mature, I'm earning less and less with those.

While I place little value in annual returns, since it is the subject of this thread and I just updated my spreadsheets (DW/me) for our VG holdings, which have been buy/hold over decades, here's the results:

Me - +10.62
DW - +3.46

That shows the "gender difference" in investing/risk between DW and the "fairer sex" (me, of course :D ).

While I'm willing to take a bit of a gamble since I know I have more than enough for retirement, DW is still in her conserative ways (that's why she is still wor*ing, even though she planned to retire when I did, a bit over 4.5 years ago).

Top two (for both of us) was VGHCX (Health Care) at +11.45 YTD. We've had this fund for decades, and although it's a sector fund, it is one of our base holdings.

That's followed up by (what else?) Pssst - Wellsley, at +9.74.

For us, it's not what happened in the short term of 12 months, but rather over a significant amount of time.

While we've both been with VG since 1982, I've only been tracking using Excel since 1990 (me), and 1991 (DW).

Our respecive XIRR returns for that 21/22 year measurement come out to +8.98 for me, and +7.84 for DW. That shows that for some years, my DW's conserative outlook and way of investing did not impact long term returns in a significant manner - at least in our case.

What does it all mean? I have no idea. But since the question was asked...

Also, note that this is just based upon a small portion of our retirement investment portfolio, held at VG for our respective TIRA, Roth, and non-deductable IRA's (from 1987 through 1997, which we will receive a future tax credit). The greater amount is in FIDO (for both DW/me, consisting of 401(k) and rollover IRA's), but since there was so much "flux" over many years and I use my FIDO rollover IRA to fund my retirement expenses (e.g. no pension, nor SS) it would be harder to calculate XIRR over time).

Let's just say that our current total retirement holding value slightly exceed the amount we had on my retirement date in early 2007 (and that's with me drawing my total retirement income from my investments for close to five years). That's the only metric that I truly measure.

I guess the plan is working...

Last edited:
Top two (for both of us) was VGHCX (Health Care) at +11.45 YTD. We've had this fund for decades, and although it's a sector fund, it is one of our base holdings.
My best MF is Schwab HealthCare SWHFX, up 11.53%, matching yours very closely!

While I place little value in annual returns...
What does it all mean? I have no idea. But since the question was asked...
All what we report here may change drastically tomorrow when the market opens (in my favor, I hope :D).

Yes, what counts is the return in the long run...

But then, someone has said that only one thing is certain in the long run. We will be all :dead:.

I've only been tracking using Excel since 1990 (me), and 1991 (DW).

Let's just say that our current total retirement holding value slightly exceed the amount we had on my retirement date in early 2007 (and that's with me drawing my total retirement income from my investments for close to five years). That's the only metric that I truly measure.

I guess the plan is working...

I also measure the annual Burn rate (2.45% in 2011), it helps us with long term planning and DW sleeps better.

In Excel, do you adjust for additions in your wife's portfolio (since she is w*rking)?

In Excel, do you adjust for additions in your wife's portfolio (since she is w*rking)?
No, since she/we no longer contribute to our VG IRA's.

The last contribution was done in 2008, when she contributed to her Roth, and I also did the same - as a "spousal" contribution, based upon her still being employed.

After some analysis, we found that further contributions were no longer necessary on the IRA side. However, she continues to contribute via her company's 401(k) to pick up the "free money" via matching.

I'll admit that our plan has worked out "better than expected", due to her 401(k) contributions (which is very little overall, when compared to our total retirement assets); however, the fact that she has not withdrawn anthing (as planned) over the last +4.5 years has certainly helped out our total planning.

Her "efforts", along with changes in "harvesting gains" on a shorter time period (I sold off a lot of gains in April, based upon the increased asset valuation), along with converting a portion of our holdings (10%) to an SPIA upon my retiremet made a big difference a few years down the road.

Hello
First time poster, lurking for a while. My return, I hate to talk about it, but! I invested with a financial advisor friend $425k in April, it is now $375K. he put it into FTJ, his advisior fee was 1%. I just transfered it to vanguard Wellesley and Vanguard Wellington. I did not pay attention to it after he took over, I rolled over a 401k. I went to the FTJ web site and 42% was in Vanguard money market and 20% was in vanguard short term bond fund. The rest was scattered around. Hopefully I will do better.

Mike

Careful, careful... Don't sell low...

For example, my performance was hurt by some natural resource foreign (or US with world-wide operations) stocks, like VALE, FCX, RIO, BHP, POT... (HFWR probably would like that last one!).

Today, they jumped 7% to 9%. Will see what happens next.

Last edited:
Careful, careful... Don't sell low...

For example, my performance was hurt by some natural resource foreign (or US with world-wide operations) stocks, like VALE, FCX, RIO, BHP, POT... (HFWR probably would like that last one!).

Today, they jumped 7% to 9%. Will see what happens next.

I have been trying not to sell low for a few years now. Hope I can hang on a few more months.

A few years? Uh Oh...

I guess I have been luckier with the above stocks. It all depends on when you bought.

These stocks tanked in the 2nd half of 2011, when the entire world economy slowed down. So, I "lost" money on them last year, but over all, I am actually in the green with all of them, except for BHP.

With FCX and VALE, despite their recent slump, I still have around 40% gain. I have held these for a little more than 2 years, so still consider them a good trade even on an annualized basis.

Last edited:
As stated by Vanguard.

Personal rate of return 12/31/2011 (my account)
1 year 0.9%
3 years 16.3%
5 years 8.0%

Personal rate of return 12/31/2011 (DW)
1 year 6.3%
3 years 11.6%
5 years 6.8%

Wife is 9 years older than me so I focus her account in dividend etfs.

Last edited:
After withdrawals to fund the 66% of our annual expenses not covered by SS, our portfolio ended up 1.5% for the year.
After withdrawals to fund 75% of expenses not covered by our pension, our portfolio remained the same. No loss....no gain. Could have been worse I reckon.....:blink:

I'm happy enough. Despite withdrawals covering everything but my teeny tiny pension, my portfolio is still more than 1% bigger this year than one year ago. So, like you two, I am not headed out to the street corner with a tin cup full of pencils, quite yet. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom