How has your portfolio done in 2011?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we should all subtract 3.5% from our portfolio performance, as that is about the inflation rate for 2011.

And thank you all for posting! Come on, people with international equity exposure, come clean and 'fess up.

And by the way, as I posted on another thread, S&P forward P/E is now at 12, compared to its average of 15. Of course, it is anybody's guess as to whether S&P earnings will be revised downward or upward in the days ahead.

Additionally, I read somewhere that MSCI emerging stock index has an even lower P/E of 11.

Meanwhile, the 10-year T-Note yield is slowly inching up to 2%. Yes, 2%/yr for the next 10 years, while the inflation is already almost twice that. What do you do? Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
I am pleased to report that after the market rally on 1/3/12 that my 2012 YTD annualized return is 156.39%!!!

:dance:

Is that all?

My return on Jan 3, extrapolated and compounded to the year end, is 3,355% on an annualized basis.

I used 251 trading days. What did you use?

And they say you can't withdraw more than 4%/year?

Last edited:
Is that all?

My return on Jan 3, extrapolated and compounded to the year end, is 3,355% on an annualized basis.

I used 251 trading days. What did you use?

And they say you can't withdraw more than 4%/year?

I used what was on the Quicken YTD investment performance report that I ran.

I used what was on the Quicken YTD investment performance report that I ran.

Fine. I also have Quicken. I still beat you at 481%. :dance:
It appears Quicken uses calendar days rather than trading days, and since there was only 1 trading day between 1/1/2012 and 1/3/2012, it miscounts the number of trading days in a year, and "underestimates" my superior portfolio return. :D

I tried to recalc the return and even with calendar days I got close, but not the same result. I suspect over a longer period of time it works out but I am curious as to the calculation in the report.

Well it is still early - way too early to declare ourselves investing geniuses. Slow and steady wins the race.

Of course I knew you were joking. ;-)

As I own individual stocks (around 100), price movements of each position, up as well as down of course, as high as 5% or even 10% a day are common. I reported earlier that some of my mining stocks, large caps at that, popped 7% on Jan 3.

That's one main reason I like to own individual stocks. If one owns an index or even a mutual fund (except sector MFs or ETFs), he will not see the individual price movements of the components. I find that interesting, to see large institutional investors moving in/out of certain stocks, how they behave according to the news. Little investors would not be able to move prices like that. I do not day trade, by the way.

Even when the stock daily movements are averaged out over my entire portfolio which includes sleepy stuff, I often experience twice the fluctuations of the S&P, due to high-beta stocks. That comes with the turf I play in.

Last edited:
OK...I'll play...

2007 - 18.5
2008 - (34.3)
2009 - 36.5
2010 - 16.9
2011 - (2.4)

That looks like a wild ride to me :)

Update...2011 actually ended up 1.8%, so there was some upward action in December. I have no idea what 2012 will bring, but I'll just keep my allocations where they are supposed to be.

Essentially flat!

So the value of the portfolio is down by the amount we spent last year.

-2% for 2011. TIPS and Wellesley high performers. VFWIX (Intl Index) the low performer.

Strike my previous answer; numbers is hard...

2008 - (21.7%)
2009 - 26.4%
2010 - 11.5%
2011 - 1.2%

Final results in for 2011, includes reinvested money:

2008 -18.8%
2009 18%
2010 11.2%
2011 3.8%

Retired in 08, Wellesley/Star has been working well in DWs IRA, better than the 2/3 of my IRA in index funds which did better than the 1/3 of my IRA I manage myself.

Final 2011 results
IRA 1.76% (no withdrawals)
Non retirement accounts 4.01% Plus living in a Hawaii for a year without working:dance::dance:

I guess in 2012 I should finally track living expenses.

I can almost tell which of you had substantial foreign investments and which didn't:
if your return >2%, you at little international exposure
if your return <2%, you had over 25% international exposure
and then there is those in between...
TJ

At -4.5% return, I have not just foreign stocks, but also cyclical stocks, like basic materials and natural resources. At some point, the world economy will pick up again, right?

Annualized returns. Top line is DOW index closing values. Other lines are percentages.

Attachments

• Pflo1112.jpg
    Pflo1112.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
At -4.5% return, I have not just foreign stocks, but also cyclical stocks, like basic materials and natural resources. At some point, the world economy will pick up again, right?

I'm pretty sure that either it will pick up, or stay the same.... or it will get WORSE. >:D

:D

We will meet together in a thread like this next year to compare notes.

Revenge will be mine! And that's a promise.

I guess I may keep working part-time a bit longer. In case W2R gets her wishes (thought she's a Wh** person?), stocks will get cheaper, and I will be accumulating more, while full retirees will be shaking in their boots or tennis shoes, or whatever... See my signature line.

Back
Top Bottom