Join Early Retirement Today

How have your expenses changed with the Corona Virus?
Old 03-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How have your expenses changed with the Corona Virus?

I am just about to sit down and do my accounting for the past two months and budget for the next two. I expect that my spending in most areas will be way down.

Wondering if others are saving money during this period and if any of these changes might become permanent?

Having cancelled a trip in March and another one coming up in June, there have been lots of refunds and the travel budget will be maybe 1/3 of what it was. Dinner or lunches out a least 3x a week plus coffee etc are out, gym memberships is out but walking and working out at home are in, could get some more stuff and give up the gym, movies are out but there is a ton on the big screen at home. Cost of going to the movies one time for 2 (dinner and a movie) will pay for a year of a streaming service .

We do less laundry since wear less and the same things more, and zero dry cleaning. Would be saving on the house keeper once a week but are paying her regardless, but realizing we don’t really need her.. groceries are up but buying in bulk and making larger meals for storage may balance it out. Liquor consumption hasn’t increased surprisingly.

So how have your expenses changed? Lots of food delivery? Online shopping from boredom? Purchased a 10 year supply of Toilet paper and hand sanitizer? Higher Walter and electric bills?

So what are you all seeing, what changes to your lives might become permanent?
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Waiting for 16 day cruise to be cancelled, and probably August cruise too, so that will be big reduction in expense for travel. Entertainment down. Gas/Fuel down. Groceries may go up. Guess will be in holding pattern regarding health.

Most other expenses basically recurring costs such as water (won't change much, largest cost there is irrigation), electric, real estate taxes, car payment, insurance, cable, cell phone, landscape maintenance, etc.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our expenses are down since we aren’t leaving the house.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Travel expenses way down.

Food budget is down...we don't eat out much normally but now we don't eat out at all.

Starting to build a house though so overall expenses are way up. Just getting a few trees removed safely is $$$.

Some things don't seem to get cheaper. My car insurance and boat insurance seem to still want their payment on time, as well as the marina seems to still want full payment on our boat slip.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

I noticed that the last time (two days ago) that I went to the grocery store I ignored prices altogether. they had it, I wanted it, and BOOM! into the cart. At check out I didn't wait for the check out lady to hand me the receipt, or tell me how much I saved, I just grabbed it myself, eliminating one pair of hands on the receipt (although she touched all of my groceries so I guess that was stupid), and looked at the receipt when I got home, and then after I resumed consciousness and got up off the floor I entered it into my Quicken register.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Way down. 2 trips cancelled. One was for this week actually and another in July. Our “entertainment” budget item is significantly down as we’re not going out to eat and socialize. Food will probably be same as I still am buying same items. I stocked up last week but am not planning on overbuying. Gas down. And if this keeps up my hairdresser bill will be down too (making my DH happy until he sees how I look without a cut and touch up)😉
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #7

Down.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sure has, three breakfeasts, and multiple coffe shop visits are cancelled each week, as are the corresponding tips. Am stuck with eight skating passes ($5 ea) until September, on the up side, 180 miles not driven weekly to skating rink.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #9

Aside from groceries there is not much we can spend money on right now. No travel, no theater, no restaurants. We are even trying to cut back on toilet paper and paper towels since we can’t find any to buy right now.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #10

Gas expenses are down due to volunteer tax work suspended. Not much change otherwise.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My spending is down a lot in some categories, and I love it!

I hardly spend anything on gas. I drive my Venza for a couple of miles once a week to keep it in good working order, but otherwise I just stay home since I am old, diabetic, overweight, and generally super vulnerable in the statistical sense.

My food expenses have gone down too, since I have not been grocery shopping for 25 days. But they did not go down as much as I expected, because I got suckered into some wildly overpriced things online due to scarcity. Also, even though we don't eat lunch out any more, we have ordered take-out or delivery from our favorite restaurant five times since we stopped eating out. And when we do that, we tip pretty lavishly because we truly empathize with the plight of the employees and restaurant owner.

No gym fees at all this month since the gyms are all shut down tight by order of the state.

No need for new clothes since I have been spending my time at home wearing my nightclothes all day half the time. Nobody but F sees what I wear any more. I should probably get dressed just to raise my own spirits, though.

I need a haircut but can't get one and my hair keeps growing and growing. That's OK; I feel like I have adopted the 1960's "long haired hippy look", so to speak. All I need are love beads. And so no spending on haircuts.

And finally, little to no discretionary spending on Amazon. I am so glad to see signs that Amazon is recovering from the avalanche of orders they were experiencing earlier. When they do get completely back to normal, I'll be prowling through their site more often once again looking for doo-dads or whatever.

I love the fact that I am spending less without even trying.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Carol, I was scheduled to get my haircut and colored and then the shutdown. I had waited 3 months so things are looking pretty bad. The dogs can’t get groomed either. Of course these are all minor issues in the big scheme of things.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Travel expenses down, but will end up paying for non-refundable expense of about $1,000.

Grocery expenses are up, as price is not as important as availability and certainly not going to go around to 5 different grocery stores looking for things.

I've stopped drinking except to have 1 glass of wine/night on weekends, as it would be too easy to guzzle booze out of boredom. So at the current rate, I have about a year's supply.

Auto usage is down incredibly, as nowhere to drive, even reducing visits to older relatives as don't want to kill them by accident.

Am currently trying takeout from some restaurants to keep them in business, but have to admit the ambience of the food experience is largely reduced.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Definitely down. I'm still waiting on some refunds from a cancelled tour and some cancelled flights (once cancelled by Delta so they are required to refund, an alternative on UA I booked and purchased cancellation insurance- claim still pending). In the meantime, of course, charges are hitting my credit card anyway so there will be a short-term cash outflow.

Unlikely to make a planned visit to Europe this fall- fortunately I hadn't booked anything.

Most other expenses about the same except that gas is down; didn't eat much in restaurants, anyway. Gym membership suspended but it was only $11/month anyway. The books I download from the library to pass the time are free- my tax dollars at work!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Less money on gas and definitely travel plus the refunds in travel count as contra expenses in our budget.
Yeah it is good overall as a side benefit, but not long term.
Got a really short haircut and now those places are closed.
DGF might have her hair person come next month to the house for her stuff, but not sure yet.

ETA - Actually our food costs are about the same, since we still order in or pick up the same 3 days a week instead of eating out 2-3 days a week.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Our expenses are down. No gym fees , no dinners out ,no meeting friends for drinks . We ordered take out twice and it was just not that good . I also need my hair done .I could stand the length but I need a color touch up.No trips planned even if they lift the bans we are staying close to home .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Spending Down.

(less gasoline, no eating out, frivolously buying crap we don't need, etc)

With DW handicapped, and on O2 100% of the time, I am not "escaping" enough to spend money on frivolous stuff and have some personal time off. So I am in the house about 22 hours per day.

This feels like cave dwelling.

But it's OK.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #18

Ours our about the same. Because the delivery services are so slow now, we are ordering June supplies now in hopes of getting the stuff in late April. Eventually they will decrease though.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My grocery costs are higher since I can't get a lot of the sale items I usually get. Instead I am limited to 1-3 items depending on item and store so no stocking up. Instead I am buying things I don't usually buy and paying full price which I hate. Gas costs are down some but I don't dive much normally so it's not much savings. Everything else should be unchanged so probably slightly more spending due to the food issue.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Travel way down.,not only local trips but future booked tours. Food is up slightly as we eat in and order in from higher-priced grocery stores that deliver. But offset by the costs of eating out especially with a bottle of wine.