Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #41
gone traveling

I spent $400 yesterday on a gift card at our favorite "local" — https://www.hopsandpie.com

We plan to increase our spending in the local area (within 1 mile of our house).
I am scheduling an extra $1K/mo for the next few months.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't track spending close enough to have any meaningful data, and we don't go out and spend much this time of year. So I would guess we are even, though DW is currently making at least one on line purchase a day, so maybe we are not even.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually I expect my water bill to go up.......
Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We have three bidets in our house and have been using them for many years. I can assure you that you still need to use toilet paper, or preferably flushable wipes. Bidets are great, but they do not always clean you up 100% of the time. I won’t go into further details, but you get the idea.
Yeah, sometimes you see a little brown on the blot paper and another squirt is needed. But that's 2 tissue wads at most. Unless you really have a problem...

Bidets Rock!

Yeah, expenses way down, no more $50 lunches.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Past two months have been way - way up in spending.

February was airfare and rental cars to see family and friends on short notice in PA and AZ, flying from Florida.

When I got back (DW stayed longer with her parents), started stocking up on food and supplies. Told myself that it was just early hurricane preps (not really) and I went for anything that could stock for a month or longer.

After that, it was a survey of the house and multiple, multiple trips to Lowes for project supplies that I could tackle in the coming months.

Missed a few things, but when the wife in chief returned mid March we filled in what I had missed. Amazon is great.

From here on out - spending will be way down. No more travel plans for this year.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

However, my grocery bill will be going up as my youngest son was in Vietnam teaching English and came home yesterday. So relieved he got out because he left early the morning of the 27th and that evening they shutdown Vietnam. Now you need a blood test to leave showing that you are virus free. He said that they left all the middle seats empty and neither plane had a bunch of people.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Like most people, our expenses are down as well.
April trip was cancelled, no entertainment, no eat outs, no movies and theaters. But grocery bill is up. Overall the expense is down.
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #48

We have to reschedule a trip to Phoenix in April due to the Eagles rescheduling their concert to October. So those $ are just being moved. DH had to cancel his annual May golf trip, so saving $ there. My trip to the Dolomites (Italy) in September is in limbo. So, overall will be saving some vacation $. My gym has provided virtual classes via Les Mills and let us borrow some equipment, so I am willingly paying monthly dues to support them (local gym). Hiking and scrambling in the mountains have been cancelled, so much less driving and ferry costs. I will be updating spreadsheet next week and thinking expenses will be down. No eating out, less driving and adhoc buying while out and about.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #49

Less for me also. Not eating out, driving less, not buying other stuff. But have spent money for yard related projects, although that's normal spring expenses. Nice to have less expenses overall. Change is not drastic reduction, more like just cutting some of the discretionary part of the total.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

More for me: DH bought a new computer and a large monitor so that he could work comfortably from home.

Also, groceries....my frugal brain kicks into lizard-mode in the grocery store: I need 5 items to get the discount, so I walk down extra aisles to find the 5 items. Need to send other family members on future grocery runs.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #51

Food expenses way UP despite eating at home. Groceries are expensive. I need new shoes. Wore them out hiking, usually I stick to paths but so does everyone else so I'm hiking. Also shopping a lit on etsy and things are more expensive there (but worth it to support independent people).
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #52

BIL and his wife aren't showing up from California this week (trip canceled by my DW), so we're saving on the expense of that visit. Part of this visit required us to get a new queen mattress set, frame, and bedding (our kid's old bed won't fit two adults). That has also been put on hold. We're suppose to have our front and back yard beds re-planted, but the landscaper is having difficulties picking up the shrubs we want. So, the expense of that is on hold.

Other than that, the rest of our expenses are mostly unchanged.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #53

A lot less - no gas for my truck, I've been driving my Prius locally. Saves $150+/mo. No eating out, no golf, no travel (was supposed to be in P.R.), no ammo, doing my own prep work in the backyard to save $$ on my upcoming deck. I estimate about $750-$1K this month.

(OTOH, I just bought myself a new $600 telescope for my birthday! I'm that bored!)
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Last recession, I picked up a gorgeous British green XJ8, jewelry and other splurges at bargain prices.

I'm not excited about the likely fire sales this time because I see a lot of illness and exponentially more human suffering than the last recession.
The situation is very different than last. I plan to donate more, volunteer more, and buy more locally. Be well everyone.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

So far we are very down. Most of our expenses are discretionary where DW likes to pick up stuff for the kids, student activities, and eating out. She can't shop, kids activities are shut down, gas tank is full. I think it's the first time we've spent less than $500/week on our cc in a long time. It's just groceries and utilities atm.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #56

Cancelled $5K of travel through April, not counting an air ticket credit. A $15K Danube river cruise with business class air to be postponed to 2022, with a 25% bonus credit coming. Oct travel still on the books. An ongoing and a planned remodel project are on hold, with about $10.5K paid and $11.5 not. Two other projects were completed already YTD, and two trips as well. Fortunately, we raised the $ for all this in Dec. with the market near record highs. Our anticipated spending for the year ex travel and projects is about half of the total.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation with travel. Much of my future travel (when that becomes an option again) will be funded by credits and savings from planned travel this year that I cancelled or never booked.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

3+ million new people on the unemployment line are proof that spending is down on the average. Other than buying groceries and a few OTC meds, there is not much I can spend money on. Even the state parks are closed, so I can't burn up some gasoline going there for my daily walk. Instead I walk in my neighborhood, which is free for practical purposes.

Let's not forget those unemployed and under-employed people as we save money. They are buying us time with their financial lives. I hope and trust that the medical institutions make good use of that time.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #59

Total expenses way down, essentials the same:
-Netflix, Prime, ESPN (they've gotten creative ) Cable, internet
-Food, going to premium grocery store since we're spending 0 on social events
-No more movies at theater
-No restaurants, bars
-0 travel, except for drives to the forest preserves

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We have three bidets in our house and have been using them for many years. I can assure you that you still need to use toilet paper, or preferably flushable wipes. Bidets are great, but they do not always clean you up 100% of the time. I wonít go into further details, but you get the idea.
Just as an fyi - Are Flushable Wipes Really Safe to Flush?

In case it's tl;dr, the answer is not really.