Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanston View Post
Not one, or any reply that addresses my question! what kind of forum is this anyway? junkcar.com!
Was there a question? Sounded like a Rich Dad Poor Dad sales pitch to me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not one, or any reply that addresses my question! what kind of forum is this anyway? junkcar.com!
If you don't get what you feel is a prompt answer, then do you think it'll get spit out faster if you yell at the other posters and insult them? How's that workin' for ya?

You got at least one direct answer from W2R. I don't that all of us understand your question. I'm not sure what "asset deflation" means, especially in terms of the highest CPI jump in over a decade. And several people have commented on your question, which would seem to be an opportunity to further explain yourself.

But frankly the rest of your post sounds very similar to another board real-estate fanatic who's on many "Ignore Poster" lists.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Blanston, well done on your asset "protection". Seems like positives all around, how's the rental market where you are? what are the out goings apart form the mortgage payments?

I think you'll find most people on this forum invest for the long term and are reasonably well diversified which has made the losses less than they could have been. Many retiree's have cash buckets, CD ladders or other fixed income sources to help them through such a downturn and those of us with a few years to go until retirement should be keeping to our asset allocation plan. Finally low levels of debt and LBYM are qualities of many on this forum which will help them to cope with the current situation.

So that's how I'm protecting my assets, and my peace of mind.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why yes, it is. We also have forums for bacon flavored whatchamacallits, pancakes on animals heads, and Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict...

As for asset deflation, mine are deflating just fine, thank you. Well, except for bonds and cash, which are deflating much slower, and need to pick up the pace, lest they fall hopelessly behind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Blanston, I saw at least three thoughtfully prepared serious responses to your question about what others are doing to protect their assets. Didn't you see them?

What do you want people to say?
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What are others doing to combat their asset deflation?
I've been gradually shifting from an approximately 2/3rds position in equities as of about mid 07 to eventually 100% equity. I'm at about 88% now, but if this drop continues a bit more, I'll move to a full 100% equity position.

I'm so excited about these unique opportunities to essentially get 2 for 1 deal on shares. If the ride up was just linear, I wouldn't have these opportunities to enhance return.
slazenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yes, we have a collective bad habit of using humor to get through the recent tough times. i will confess to being a major instigator thereof.

everyone is experiencing asset ruination. what can we do about it? not a darn thing except stick to our individual plans and bounce ideas off each other.

there are some very smart people here. relax and go with the flow.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

I was thinking of having my assets lifted this year but with the market decline plastic surgery is out . I think I can still afford Botox .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was thinking of having my assets lifted this year but with the market decline plastic surgery is out . I think I can still afford Botox .
try rubber bands. it always w*rked with knee socks.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

They have Botox for the buttocks?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
I apoligize-Sorry.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I apoligize-Sorry.

You are right Nords and I am sorry. I was not clear about my question.

If your assets were say, 2 million a year or so back- they are probably anywhere from 10 to 50% lower due to the deflating markets. (real estate and equities).

I have been buying real estate at discount to keep my assets up or close to where they were. I was wondering what others were doing?

I appreciate the responses and i do have a sense of humor too. And a junk car! And, I am not rich dad! I am not selling anything, only buying!
blanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You mentioned you bought all your RE properties with nothing down, it made you sound like a Carlton Sheets commercial.......

What happens to your plan if the RE market doesn;t recover for a couple years, and you can't get tenants?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

So the only reason why your assets haven't dropped is because you are buying deflating assets at a discount? It will prop up your balance sheet for a while but it kinda sound like a short term patch... If real estate prices keep coming down, won't that affect your total asset value at some point? Unless of course you can continue buying assets at discounted prices until the market turns around. And of course, as you build up your RE portfolio, you will need to accelerate your discounted purchases to prevent your ever larger asset base from dropping. How long before you max out your borrowing power and the banks shut you down?

Plus I am always weary of people who claim they can buy assets below market price... Whatever you end up paying for a property IS the market price as far as I am concerned.

But if it works, it will have been a very bold move on your part. Personally I can think of 3 simpler ways to stop my assets from dropping or at least slow down the decline: 1) go all cash. 2) save more. 3) invest in a reverse index fund. I have been doing 2) and 3), still not enough to completely offset the losses though. Quite a few people on this board are doing 1).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
They have Botox for the buttocks?
Ya eat a couple quarts of ice cream a day
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #35

First rule I am following is to not take on any more debt.
Second rule is to pay off any debt I currently have (besides my primary mortgage).
Third is to continue to invest a small amount of cash in dividend paying equities. My dividend income continues to rise, so I have no immediate stressors.
Forth, stockpile more cash, so when things get a little more stable I can buy more heavily in the market.
I don't care if I invest at the very bottom or not, I just want to be a little more confident.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
So the only reason why your assets haven't dropped is because you are buying deflating assets at a discount? It will prop up your balance sheet for a while but it kinda sound like a short term patch... If real estate prices keep coming down, won't that affect your total asset value at some point? Unless of course you can continue buying assets at discounted prices until the market turns around. And of course, as you build up your RE portfolio, you will need to accelerate your discounted purchases to prevent your ever larger asset base from dropping. How long before you max out your borrowing power and the banks shut you down?

Plus I am always weary of people who claim they can buy assets below market price... Whatever you end up paying for a property IS the market price as far as I am concerned.

But if it works, it will have been a very bold move on your part. Personally I can think of 3 simpler ways to stop my assets from dropping or at least slow down the decline: 1) go all cash. 2) save more. 3) invest in a reverse index fund. I have been doing 2) and 3), still not enough to completely offset the losses though. Quite a few people on this board are doing 1).
If Blanston can buy places for 1/3 of their last sale price in 2006 and rent them for a rent/month that is 1.4% of the purchase price he will do just great. Work will be involved handling the rentals and upkeep, but there is plenty of slack to do maintenance, deal with vacancy, and even >shock< make principal payments. Were i filled with a desire to work harder and presented with similiar deals close to where we live i would jump all over them.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
If Blanston can buy places for 1/3 of their last sale price in 2006 and rent them for a rent/month that is 1.4% of the purchase price he will do just great. Work will be involved handling the rentals and upkeep, but there is plenty of slack to do maintenance, deal with vacancy, and even >shock< make principle payments. Were i filled with a desire to work harder and presented with a similiar deals close to where we live i would jump all over them.
The master has spoken! I should have stuck with the Botox discussion... Can Botox really LIFT assets?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The master has spoken! I should have stuck with the Botox discussion... Can Botox really LIFT assets?
Assets, Botox, rubber bands and ice cream....a new thread, anyone?
DDD!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh dang! anything i say should be taken as being my opinion only, subject to being riddled with error and omission, and not necessarily being fact based. That being said, i'm guessing that Botox doesn't really lift assets so much as it smooths out variations - maybe more an anti-cellulite effect. Which makes me wonder if hemorrhoid creme wouldn't have the desired effect. OTOH, maybe it would shrink assets as it does bags under the eyes.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Oh dang! anything i say should be taken as being my opinion only, subject to being riddled with error and omission, and not necessarily being fact based. That being said, i'm guessing that Botox doesn't really lift assets so much as it smooths out variations - maybe more an anti-cellulite effect. Which makes me wonder if hemorrhoid creme wouldn't have the desired effect. OTOH, maybe it would shrink assets as it does bags under the eyes.
i think wall st needs some hemorrhoid creme, and fast.