Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire to nature View Post
I am checking zestimate and most of my rental is behind $150-200 range of $800-1500. for example, zestimate shows at $1045 but I am collecting $800. I was too crazily busy for my sister death and next year was pandemic so It hasn't been increased at all after move in. It is bothering me because it is too much gap. how much should I increase?
How much do you want to keep your tenants?

I suggest 3 to 5 percent every year until you get closer to market. You don't want to outstrip your tenants' increasing income and cause vacancies. Just be consistent until you are closer to market. Also, pay attention to how your properties compare to what's available at market rent. If you would have to do a substantial amount of work to bring them up to market standards, you may want to be a little more conservative.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire to nature View Post
I am checking zestimate and most of my rental is behind $150-200 range of $800-1500. for example, zestimate shows at $1045 but I am collecting $800. I was too crazily busy for my sister death and next year was pandemic so It hasn't been increased at all after move in. It is bothering me because it is too much gap. how much should I increase?

This year I had one tenant move-out I increased the rent by 25%, I did 4 others by 5% so most of them are about where they should be except 1 it's about $100-150 shy but they lady has been there 5 years she's a good tenant and she has paid me back all the money I have into the home. I will likely raise he rent on 1 other home next month and everyone else is in a lease.

To answer your question is you are $150-200 you need to evaluate how much you like the tenant, if they are good take 3 years to get them where they need to be if you don't like them increase $125 this year and make up the difference next year.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
This year I had one tenant move-out I increased the rent by 25%, I did 4 others by 5% so most of them are about where they should be except 1 it's about $100-150 shy but they lady has been there 5 years she's a good tenant and she has paid me back all the money I have into the home. I will likely raise he rent on 1 other home next month and everyone else is in a lease.

To answer your question is you are $150-200 you need to evaluate how much you like the tenant, if they are good take 3 years to get them where they need to be if you don't like them increase $125 this year and make up the difference next year.
I agree with you. So I am wondering if it is better to get new tenants for big jump like you did. My dilemma is I even don't know some of my inherited tenants. all are making on time payment. But I am not sure how much they are damaging my houses. On the other day, I visited one of house and I asked her move out because she is not managing house at all. Under kitchen sink was all wet because she put all plastic bags there, bleach was fell and all over, she didnt even noticed until I pointed. I knew because the wood got all twisted or bent, but she never turn on lights or open curtain. She stays in very dark all the time. she even dont know how dirty her house is. everywhere I see fungi etc. I think she had depression but pandemic got her worse.

Do you guys visit the property for inspection
retire to nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have four tenants and so far all have paid, although one always pays chronically late. I am interested in selling my units and getting out of the rental biz, but state/city laws make it very difficult and expensive. I did raise rent about 7% starting in June, but I haven't raised them in two years so they are getting off cheap. They are still paying less than many other places.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I always inspect the house, just an informal walk in , say hello type of thing each year.
Didn't get to do it last year due to Covid., this year is a question mark as well.

I think it's better to raise the rent consistently 3% per year is more comfortable for tenants and actually pulls in more rent due to compounding than 6% every two years and is less likely to push them to move out.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I always inspect the house, just an informal walk in , say hello type of thing each year.
Didn't get to do it last year due to Covid., this year is a question mark as well.

I think it's better to raise the rent consistently 3% per year is more comfortable for tenants and actually pulls in more rent due to compounding than 6% every two years and is less likely to push them to move out.
Good idea, I haven't thought of the compound way. and informal walk in every year too.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I just want to mention. I put 2bed and 1 bath single family house for rent. I can tell it is so competitive now. I get at least 3-4 times more inquiries than before covid. It is because very hot area to sell, but I can tell why price went up.

Like my original thread, I was getting from $900 from the house, now zillow says $1045.

I have similar house collection $800 for 2 years, now I asked $50 up, she is not happy, but I am sure she would renew. But I am not sure If it is good to 1 more year renew.

But my concern is if it is ok to go this low 3-5% increase even though market is much higher and afraid property tax etc.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi All,

I started the thread one year ago guessing if too much increase in rent, how to catch the market value.

I had the family loss and pandemic so skipped a couple of years of increase, so I was already behind at that point.

I did increase about $50 around $800-$1500/month range home. Now about $100-$350 behind which means 25%-40% of their rent lower than market.

Also, talking about all the inflation scares me making more behind.

From my rental business experience, I dont do too low amount, because all bums were coming into my home.

Most of them making on time, maintaining house ok, too. I am still wishy-washy selling all to top market time or keep it forever and sell as is later.

Recent stock market scares me that housing maket would go down that way too. All media says it will keep increase the value. So I am a lazy ass to sell for now. I became a retiree mind set, since selling is another hard work too.

How are you guys handling your rent increase in this crazy time of pandemic and high inflation future time? How other property management companies are doing?

thanks.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #29

We have great tenants that have been in place since 2014. They were paying market when they moved in. They are paying significantly below rent now because we haven't increased as much... but they maintain the place well and never miss a rent payment. We will do small increases each year going forward - but I suspect we won't get to market rate till they move out and we re-rent it. Good tenants are worth getting less than market rate.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #30

I never have really raised rates on existing tenants and I usually adjust when I turn over tenants. However this year I will be raising rents and I think they expect it. I will prepare a letter to let them know including that it is nothing to do with them but rather due to the increases I am having to pay in costs and current market conditions. I have one that may go but so be it. I appreciate him being there but I will find someone else if that happens.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

If we decide to raise the rent, I'll usually wait for a new tenant to do it. We tend to lag the market rates a year or two, so my raises are done to keep up with whatever is going on locally. My rents went up about 15% during COVID. My brother's San Diego rental went up over 30%! It's highly market dependent, but inflation has made increases inevitable everywhere. When the time comes, we depend on our property managers to advise us on how much to increase rent based on their local knowledge of the market [not Zillow]. We don't do it often, so it's been nice to give ourselves a raise this year.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #32

I usually increase rent when a unit turns over, but have occasionally raised rent while there is an existing tenant. I am/was at the upper end of what is tolerable for rent, so rarely have tenants that stick around for more than two years. We are trying to reduce that turn over and keep tenants longer in exchange for less turn over cost.

I use rentometer.com for setting rent prices. I often list it for a week or two and drop listed rent if there is not sufficient interest. We have not had more than a couple of weeks vacancy between tenants over the now 12 units and five plus years of renting. Having a 60 day termination notice helps with that also.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:07 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
I usually increase rent when a unit turns over, but have occasionally raised rent while there is an existing tenant. I am/was at the upper end of what is tolerable for rent, so rarely have tenants that stick around for more than two years. We are trying to reduce that turn over and keep tenants longer in exchange for less turn over cost.

I use rentometer.com for setting rent prices. I often list it for a week or two and drop listed rent if there is not sufficient interest. We have not had more than a couple of weeks vacancy between tenants over the now 12 units and five plus years of renting. Having a 60 day termination notice helps with that also.
Thanks for that mention, I hadn't heard of rentometer before, nor was I aware of any similar website.
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #34

I use Zillow, Realtor.com and Hotpads for listings of competitive rentals. I watch to see how quickly properties are leased, whether inventory is increasing or decreasing, and whether rents are increasing or decreasing. I have one going up this week and I am undercutting a model match two blocks away that has been listed for over 30 days by $75. Put the coming soon listing up last week and have a lot of interest, without pictures.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote