Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan for 80 or having someone change my diapers. Whichever comes first. I'll be grateful to living healthy lift till I'm 75 or 76 and die in my sleep with money left to my kids and ex-wives because I planned for 80.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Now you just have to hope they don't go out of business before you need to pull the trigger on your policy...
And that he only has to pull the trigger once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Wow, you all seem to have good genes with relatives living up to or above 100.
Well, for us Methuselah wannabes the thought of "work until you die" makes ER especially compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
The 90 plus year old had not been out of bed for 5 plus years, and had not eaten solid food for 4 plus years, as she was too weak to eat, feeding being accomplished by way of a drip tube strung thru her nose. I know there is another thread going on about this topic, but while I would be happy to live to 95 or 100 if I was able to lead a relatively active, relatively self sufficient life, I certainly don't want my 70-75 year old son or daughter to have to care for me like that for so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Sorry, did not mean to imply "she" was miserable (or that someone else would be). What I meant is that "I" would be miserable if I was nearing 100 years of age AND I could not move, I was sustained by a tube thru the nose, and I soiled myself because I could not get out of bed to do otherwise. I would not want to endure that for an extended period. Sorry if I was less than clear about that. If I was still pretty mobile and able to take care most of the basics like eating etc it would be a very different discussion.
After reflecting more on this discussion, I think I'd have to defer to Stephen Hawking's example. He seems to have led a pretty productive life...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are planning on going to 100. Annual physicals, healthy(ier) eating, exercise when I can remember, no smoking, ... the (more than) occasional drink ... lottsa sleep (FIREd almost 4 years). At 60, we are in fairly good shape (knock on wood). So that's the plan.

An aside: I was talking to my SIL brother (a doctor) at dinner the other day and he said that the upcoming generation of kids look like they will not have longer longevity than their parents generation in America. This is because of the obesity epidemic that is going on here. ... I hadn't thought about that before, but this make sense. ... BE FOREWARNED!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And that he only has to pull the trigger once...

Well, for us Methuselah wannabes the thought of "work until you die" makes ER especially compelling.

After reflecting more on this discussion, I think I'd have to defer to Stephen Hawking's example. He seems to have led a pretty productive life...
If Dr Hawking wants to go on living, that's his prerogative. I have mine.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We planned to about 93, which my dad lived to see. Our other parents died from 63 to 89. I hope to live until my late 80's but then I have a chronic disease that could kick in at some time and affect my longevity. My husband's family has a history of cancer and earlier deaths in it, so he gets all his screenings each year. Forecasting your longevity feels too much like gambling.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

forever

Pick one - the first I think(memory?) were from older IRS/RMD/single beneficiary/?insurance type tables. The last assumes a 60/40 'policy portfolio' funded lifestyle.

Now that I quit(age63) smoking, chewing and bad homemade liquor.

Drink yucky stuff like water, exercise, eat nuts and twigs to keep my chloresterol and BP down.

except when I slip and party.

heh heh heh - people in my family didn't live really long - sometimes from coloring outside the line - so to speak. Since I was a Boy Scout - anything beyond 84 is lagniappe.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote