Join Early Retirement Today

How long will your savings last and does it account for Assisted Living?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How long will your savings last and does it account for Assisted Living?

Yet another humble request for fellow members to share their thoughts and experiences.

When using Firecalc, other on-line estimators or my own spreadsheet - I plug in different ages for 'end game' to see if I am going to fall short or have anything left to pass on as a legacy.

And - I've read about one approach to expenses in that they decrease with age (aka the Bernicke option in Firecalc).

But, I'm watching my own parents get older and at some point neither will be able to drive and will not be independent - maybe even needing to move to a 'retirement community'.

Looking at some rough estimates for this - it is darn expensive - which would increase annual expenses from the 'dip' many describe.

So - how have you estimated how long your savings will last? And do you account for any need for 'retirement community' or even 'assisted living' expenses?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No I have not accounted for assisted living...that is what the government is for.

Savings will last from age 45 to age 75.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
No I have not accounted for assisted living...that is what the government is for.

Savings will last from age 45 to age 75.

So if/when you require assisted living - that will be via Medicaid and what ever you get in SS?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a good pension with survivor benefits, including health insurance, and two social securities. We will have more from those than we have been living on in the past few years. For this reason, we probably won't need to get into our savings, except for my care needs. My husband had long term care insurance. So yes we took it into account after watching my parents needing care for Alzheimer's and cancer.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Administrator

Yes, we have allocated funds in a couple of IRA's for assisted living. They are "fire-walled off" and not counted in our retirement accounts for calculation of SWR.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If you are looking at a 30+ year retirement planning horizon, it is hard to estimate what the tail end will look like with any confidence. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
So if/when you require assisted living - that will be via Medicaid and what ever you get in SS?
Yes, pretty much. We paid an extra $63 this year to Medicaid on our income due to the new 0.8% adder so I am confident the program will be there for us if we need it.

edit: Oh I meant Medicare.

At our current saving rate and current high tax bracket/high cost of living area, we would need to work for 3 to 5 more years to be confident we would have enough to cover 3 to 5 years of assisted care living for the both of us. I would rather enjoy the 3 to 5 years in my 40s and just be miserable in my 80s when I probably will forget the next day how bad the previous day was.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How long will our savings last? FIRECalc indicates it will last to age 95 but I doubt either of us will be around to find out.

Does it account for assisted living? Partially, but we also have LTC policies covering three years of assisted care.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
So - how have you estimated how long your savings will last? And do you account for any need for 'retirement community' or even 'assisted living' expenses?
Yes, my savings are supposed to last sufficiently long at my present rate of spending, that I can afford to self-insure instead of (and beyond) buying an LTC policy, and to cover all of the expenses of growing old for a very long time.

I have already identified and priced a few good continual care communities. At present rates, plus some inflation, I can afford them.

Heaven knows what we are facing in the future once the baby boom generation floods these retirement places. Frank and I think we would prefer to care for one another for as long as we can at home, if that is possible, as a lifestyle choice more than as a financial choice. But honestly, that is so far away. Too many variables, too many unknowns, to make any decisions so soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #10

Income/savings designed to last until I am 96 and my DW turns 100 (32 additional years). No LTC for me, as I plan to die at home and No#1 Son (now 8) is being trained to take over planning,finances and care for my Wife when I am gone.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #11

Assisted living yes. Nursing home living no.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If you are looking at a 30+ year retirement planning horizon, it is hard to estimate what the tail end will look like with any confidence. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
+1

One of the reason I have such a high equity allocation is I want to have enough money so that can feel comfortable spending for a Cadillac Tesla level assisted living. No overworked, underpaid, poorly trained, with minimal English skills health care aid for me. No I want an LN or RN to empty my bed pans and give me sponge baths..

Especially one who looks like my very distant cousin a recent RN...
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #13

I don't include the value of my house in my retirement planning. I need it as a place to live, and I will not need it should I have to move into assisted living. My house is small and paid off, it costs me around $825 a month to cover all expenses of living in it; taxes, utilities etc. It would sell in the current market for about $175K. Assisted living is about $4K a month (this not only includes all your housing expenses but food as well). If I had to move into assisted living next month I figure my out of pocket beyond what I am paying now to live indoors and eat would be the $4K minus current expenses $825 and minus food $400, $2800 a month. Even without any interest the sale of my house (which should help offset inflation of cost of A/L) would fund about 5 years of assisted living. This does not take into account income from Social Security or from my portfolio above what used in this example for current home expenses and food. As it looks today I think I will be fine, I consider my home to be my LTC insurance should I need such a living arrangement.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Assisted living or a nursing home in the US will bankrupt us.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
Administrator

We have non-portfolio assets that can be converted to cash and enough budget flexibility to pay for assisted living if needed. After spending time in different facilities, with relatives and also volunteering, moving into one is not my preferred option, but we don't always get to choose.

Staying physically fit is probably the single best thing one can do to minimize the likelihood they will need to move into assisted living care.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Our plan for the later years is detailed in this thread, beginning at post #115.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...t-62251-2.html
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I did forget to mention the backup plan if we need assisted living:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.6 KB, 329 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #18

Boy! what do we do if we need assisted living!

Elder abuse is a challenge when heirs have to decide between a good life for their elder, usually, parents or do it on the "cheap" to create a larger inheritance. I'm lucky, I have great kids and my DW has great parents and all their kids would make sure they are well taken care of. My suggestion and my will and trusts address this issue since many have written about elder abuse. Most of us write about "early retirement"....this is an issue that really relates to "late" retirement. We looked into one assisted living home and the entry cost was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars with monthly charges in the thousands. Now, this home was absolutely 1st class but I was shocked at the prices. On the other hand, I'd probably prefer a little apartment with my kids visiting most days and driving me to the Doctor's office when needed. Whew! heavy issue.......I think I'll keep saving and quit worrying since I've got enough money and a great family.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Absolutely correct. We all want to calculate and control our future but the variables are infinite. Much as I would like an ironclad plan for 30+ years I realize it will require numerous adjustments as the situation changes.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #20

The latest research I saw says the average couple retiring at age 65 today will spend $240K in medical bills, not including nursing homes/LTC. We plan to retire at 57 and will have FEHB (fed bennies), but I added $400K in expenses, spread out from 57 to 95, as an estimate of our potential medical costs.

I figure if one of us passes before the other, and the survivor needs LTC, he/she can let Medicare/Medicaid pick it up if he/she runs out of money. That's what happened with my grandmother.