How long would you wait to contact the IRS in this scenario

How long should I wait to contact the IRS again?

• 60 days after sending in the latest info because that's what the web page said

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • 120 days after sending in the latest info because that's what the agent said

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Now to make sure they got my latest info

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Never, wait for the IRS to contact me / make the next move

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I like pancakes

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters
I didn't go back and look at all your details, so I don't know if this would have helped your specific case, but I did see on the TaxSlayer blog that the IRS has a new e-file reject code -- F8962-070: The efile database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing “ACA Explanation” must be present in the return.

It seems they have figured out that they already know who should have a 1095-A with non-zero values for the APTC column and they can just reject those returns if they don't include an 8962. Much easier for the taxpayer to fix it and resubmit an e-file instead of dealing with all the back-and-forth you're going through.

I didn't go back and look at all your details, so I don't know if this would have helped your specific case, but I did see on the TaxSlayer blog that the IRS has a new e-file reject code -- F8962-070: The efile database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing “ACA Explanation” must be present in the return.

It seems they have figured out that they already know who should have a 1095-A with non-zero values for the APTC column and they can just reject those returns if they don't include an 8962. Much easier for the taxpayer to fix it and resubmit an e-file instead of dealing with all the back-and-forth you're going through.

Nice to know, but wouldn't help in my specific case.

The one sentence version was that I included a catastrophic policy on my 8962 even though such policies don't qualify for ACA PTC. My bad, I apologized, IRS is still stuck for reasons that are unclear.

Saw an article about IRS sending out letters to an unknown number of people saying ‘we have no record of your 2020 return, please sign a new copy and send it to x address”.

They have since retracted that request for anyone receiving the letter because it was an automated process that couldn’t be altered before at least some of them got produced and mailed.

Per the article, as of 12/21 IRS had approximately 6.7m returns and 2.something m adjusted returns they haven’t processed.

In a related article, IRS has had their budget reduced by over 20% over the last several years. Add in Covid and it’s no surprise the place isn’t operating as we’d come to expect.

Edit: Just realized Cathy63 had already posted a link to the article in the other IRS thread. Sorry for the duplication.

Last edited:
Six weeks ago I chose to involve my Congressional representative's office. My understanding is they sent a note to the Taxpayer's Assistance Office saying, "Hey, we're Congresspeople, please help this person."

Today I discover in my mailbox correspondence from the IRS in the form of a 4800C letter saying, basically, "Hey, we're changing your refund amount", and they're changing it to...wait for it...the amount I originally corrected it to on June 17, 2021...17 days after they notified me of the error.

If I don't argue with them further, it sounds like they'll change my return (to the amounts I told them last June) and issue the rest of my refund...uh...sometime soon, I guess. In theory I think they will still pay me 3% interest on it, but we'll see what happens.

Glad it seems to be resolving for you.
DD still has an issue from 2018 she is waiting on, no recent letters in the past few months, so hopefully, her refund will arrive sometime!

Back
Top Bottom