Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
How about a car? How about utilities? Are they included?
All included.

Below are pretty much my expenses that I can think of.

Monthly costs including tax.
Internet 35.08
Flip phone 32.56

My electric bill has been $32 or under the last year, the year before was usually under $30. Heat and water are included in the rent.

I just paid my auto insurance for 6 months and it was $140 for 6 months. Registration is $61. I pay $100 a year for renters insurance only because it is required.

Directv changes depending on the time of year. Right now it is $60. During the fall its $100 give or take.

I dont drive much so I dont use much gas.

I shop every 2 weeks at Aldi. I would say my average there is $60 every 2 weeks. I eat all my meals at home. Every 6 weeks I pick up a few things at Walmart but not food(I do get Folgers crystals there).
Digger1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #262
Confused about dryer sheets

Jacob over at early retirement extreme has been doing $7k/yr for a while
rudolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

^ Is it April 1 already?

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
All included.

Internet 35.08
Flip phone 32.56

My electric bill has been $32 or under the last year, the year before was usually under $30. Heat and water are included in the rent.

I just paid my auto insurance for 6 months and it was $140 for 6 months. Registration is $61. I pay $100 a year for renters insurance only because it is required.

Directv changes depending on the time of year. Right now it is $60. During the fall its $100 give or take.

I shop every 2 weeks at Aldi. I would say my average there is $60 every 2 weeks. I eat all my meals at home. Every 6 weeks I pick up a few things at Walmart but not food(I do get Folgers crystals there).
I am just amazed at you. We are living on 22k a year. I thought that was great but you got us beat.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All included.

Internet 35.08
Flip phone 32.56

This guy is my hero. I think I lived like him when I was in college on the G.I. Bill between 1969 - 1973 ($222/month) and had a part time job. He must be single, though.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #266
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^ Is it April 1 already?

He's been blogging about it since 2007 and wrote a book about it. That makes for a long running April 1st. I've never met him, so decide on your own
rudolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #267

Quote:
Finally ran my 2020 spending numbers. My total spending in 2020 was $13,205.94. I retired 4 years ago at age 51. Taxes are of course included in total spending after you retire. My taxes are $0.

Some people pay more than that in health insurance alone.

When I was living on my boat it was pretty low.
Health insurance: $700/yr
No car, no house, no utilities (solar panels plus occasionally running a generator if I was anchored and not running the engine)
Boat expenses were around $3000/yr (sailboat, used 50-100 gallons of diesel), maintenance and occasionally stopped at a marina for laundry, water, etc.
Food $2500
Miscellaneous maybe $800

So about $7000 total but I only did it for a few years, and I was younger.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #268

Total expenses for Jacob was about $1,400. His wife pays half.
Letj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #269

After reviewing 2020 expenses - our minimum required annual expense cost was $28k and we chose to spend an all in amount of $60k.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #270

I think this whole thread is wrong thinking!
How much does it take to have a normal middle class lifestyle.
But I'll start my own thread.
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #271
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I think this whole thread is wrong thinking!
How much does it take to have a normal middle class lifestyle.
But I'll start my own thread.
I'll help. Define "Normal".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'll help. Define "Normal".
I think the definition will be "What Time2 spends"
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Old 02-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
These threads always are nuts.
People do what is important to them. To some, setting a record for cheap living is what makes them happy and fulfilled. I do not find it admirable because anyone obsessed with it can do it. For those who do it out of necessity that is totally different.
I don’t know if being obsessed with not spending is much better than the opposite.
Whatever makes one happy.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
I don’t know if being obsessed with not spending is much better than the opposite.
Whatever makes one happy.
Being a minimalist and/or otherwise trying to limit your environmental footprint and not buying too much into the consumasucka lifestyle doesn't make someone obsessed, but it's much better than the alternative.

I envy those that do it - not everyone can.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #276
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Being a minimalist and/or otherwise trying to limit your environmental footprint and not buying too much into the consumasucka lifestyle doesn't make someone obsessed, but it's much better than the alternative.

Different strokes....
We just try to keep to the yearly budget and all spending falls in place afterwards.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Different strokes....
We just try to keep to the yearly budget and all spending falls in place afterwards.

Yeah, I'm not a minimalist myself, I just don't buy a lot of crap and am not wasteful. I have a very high savings rate by keeping my expenses very low. Once I retire, I'll have a lot more free time to spend money, but maybe I can pick up a low cost hobby like pickleball.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #278
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

There is a big difference between being a minimalist and someone who just hates spending money and sacrifices time and energy for no financially needed reason. Like I said, whatever makes you happy.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
There is a big difference between being a minimalist and someone who just hates spending money and sacrifices time and energy for no financially needed reason. Like I said, whatever makes you happy.
Frugality, keeping a small environmental footprint, saving money - any way you slice it, that doesn't make someone "obsessive" as you had put it earlier. Maybe you are trying to rationalize unnecessary spending and being a big consumsucka, not sure. But I was just pointing out your misinterpretation of other people's values as being obsessive.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a minimalist myself, I just don't buy a lot of crap and am not wasteful. I have a very high savings rate by keeping my expenses very low. Once I retire, I'll have a lot more free time to spend money, but maybe I can pick up a low cost hobby like pickleball.
Pickleball - now you are talking.... give it a try.