Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Low to the Revolution?
S&P 500 at 600 8 26.67%
S&P 500 at 400 5 16.67%
S&P 500 at 300 4 13.33%
S&P 500 at 200 1 3.33%
S&P 500 at 100 or less 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
We the People don't have the guts or the will to revolt. In fact, Americans are more likely to blame themselves rather than the guilty.

Maybe we'll line ourselves up and deliver an auto coup de grâce.
I think I'll stand on the sidelines and enjoy my life...to each their own....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Maybe we'll line ourselves up and deliver an auto coup de grâce.
Yep, if things get bad enough I might consider taking one of those jobs delivering French cars...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess the question is: is there any integrity left any where in the world? With out any integrity anywhere from the top to the bottom I'm afraid we are in for a long hard spiral down. Sure hope I'm wrong on this.
Sevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, if things get bad enough I might consider taking one of those jobs delivering French cars...
I love it when you talk International.....(tipping my hat)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We won't know because "the revolution will not be televised" - Gil Scott-Heron
Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

A popular revolution in the U.S. is virtually impossible. The people are too well trained and submissive, and the Police and Army, etc., are too strong and disciplined. When the Police, etc., have not been paid in 18 months and have splintered into gangs shaking down travelers on the road and raiding homes for food and money, maybe. We're a long, long, long way from that! ... I hope.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

"What if there was a war and nobody came?"
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I do not think there would be a revolution. But there could be unrest... large protests and riots if things get bad enough.

Our version of a revolution would be to expel all current politicians in the next set of elections and make dramatic changes. The culprits of the crisis would be punish severely. They would be sent to jail for long periods... to a real penitentiary.

If we have a depression... there could be some unrest.... but more likely it will result in a huge increases in property crime. If we have a complete collapse of the financial system (hyper inflation and property being seized for taxes).. there probably will be massive protests, civil unrest (riots) and a large increase in crime... including organized crime. If things really go down hill black markets emerge.

Look at Russia. It is a good example of systemic government failure.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
We're a long, long, long way from that! ... I hope.
None of us are more than about nine meals away from violence.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
A popular revolution in the U.S. is virtually impossible. The people are too well trained and submissive, and the Police and Army, etc., are too strong and disciplined.
While I agree with the first sentence, I disagree with the second. Contrary to most countries, the police and military in the US are much "closer" to the "people" than the government. This is what prevent the need for revolutions here. For example, if the wet dream of many right-wing nut-cases came true, and Barak Obama came out and admitted he was a Wahhabi Muslim and was imposing sharia law in the US, who do you think the military and police would follow? (BTW, Obama is not Muslim, this is a hypothetical.)

Or conversely, if the wet dream of many left-wing nut-cases came true and Bush said he was not going to turn over the presidency to Obama, and was declaring himself Emperor. Who do you think the military and police would follow? (BTW, Bush, while misguided, is a loyal American citizen trying to do the best he can within his mental limits, so this will not happen.)
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We have met the enemy, and he is us... Walt Kelly

And what's wrong with wasabi?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
None of us are more than about nine meals away from violence.
Is your DW's cooking really that bad?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Amazing that we've moved from debating paying off the mortgage to when the uprising will begin, in only a few months.... Are the tinfoil hats winning? Is it really different this time?
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

I thought wasabi was the basis of a "Wassup" Bud commercial??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Amazing that we've moved from debating paying off the mortgage to when the uprising will begin, in only a few months.... Are the tinfoil hats winning? Is it really different this time?
I haven't read too many posts lately, but I never thought I'd read a thread like this one. It seems that the sentiment on this forum has definitely shifted in favor of tinfoil hats.

BTW, it looks like the bailout for Freddie is going to us cost much more than what we were originally told. Where will this new money come from?

Freddie Mac Seeks Government Aid After $25.3B Loss - washingtonpost.com

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
I haven't read too many posts lately, but I never thought I'd read a thread like this one.
Yeah, I know my jokes are bad, but you gotta work with me here...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Culture is correct about the current situation. If the president simply went off the deep end, we'd have a "constitutional crisis", but we'd get through it.

I take the OP to be asking, "What would it take to break this down?". Is there some point where the economy is so bad that we get violent riots, general strikes, assasinated politicians (or CEO's?), etc?

Some people say that FDR "saved capitalism from the capitalists". He pre-empted the revolution by getting out in front of it.

I think that's "the American way". If things get bad, politicians find ways to ease the pain. We're already headed for some sort of mortgage forgiveness and extended unemployment benefits. I think we'd see all sorts of gov't programs before we get to 25% unemployment.

As long as the public thinks the gov't "feels our pain" and is "doing something", we're not going to see the revolution.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Wasabi is awesome!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Culture,

I commented on a "popular revolution," not a palace coup. In the latter case, the lower ranks of the police and military would be loyal to those immediately above them, who would be loyal to those working legally to correct the patently illegal actions of the president (in your examples).

Remember when Alexander Haig declared "I am in control here" after Regan was shot? This would have been illegal, and others in the room immediately objected. He certainly did not get that control. If I remember correctly, he resigned some time afterward, presumably partly under pressure over this misstatement.

The police and especially the military are dangerous systems in which order is strictly enforced. If the common man revolted, the police and military would likely be quite sympathetic, as you point out, but for them to disobey orders, throw down with the rioters and turn their guns on Washington simply would not happen in this country (at least prior to the utter collapse of life as we know it).
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
No doubt that there is plenty of blame to go around.

While I am definitely tongue-in-cheek in my poll, there is no doubt that the people can end up "against the wall" as a result of a severe financial crisis. the French Revolution, for example, started as a financial crisis.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb the "Black Swan" guy recently stated that his worst case for the financial mess would put us in a situation not seen since the American Revolution. So at least to him its possible.

But in reality, whats a guy who makes his living predicting "Black Swans" going to talk about.