Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Low to the Revolution?
S&P 500 at 600 8 26.67%
S&P 500 at 400 5 16.67%
S&P 500 at 300 4 13.33%
S&P 500 at 200 1 3.33%
S&P 500 at 100 or less 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
Culture,

I commented on a "popular revolution," not a palace coup. In the latter case, the lower ranks of the police and military would be loyal to those immediately above them, who would be loyal to those working legally to correct the patently illegal actions of the president (in your examples).

Remember when Alexander Haig declared "I am in control here" after Regan was shot? This would have been illegal, and others in the room immediately objected. He certainly did not get that control. If I remember correctly, he resigned some time afterward, presumably partly under pressure over this misstatement.

The police and especially the military are dangerous systems in which order is strictly enforced. If the common man revolted, the police and military would likely be quite sympathetic, as you point out, but for them to disobey orders, throw down with the rioters and turn their guns on Washington simply would not happen in this country (at least prior to the utter collapse of life as we know it).
most cops are down to earth people, just like every soldier i knew. something like 65% of the military is married and have their own children. even the drill seargents are normal once they leave DS duty
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

As has happened before, in many cultures, the police and military will follow orders of those at the top. As long as cops are not required to shoot a brother officer, they will do what their told by their superiors.

Similarly, the military will follow their officers. They will be told it is for the good of the country and will obey.

Remember where the ultimate loyalty of that man or woman in uniform's loyalty ultimately lies. Historically, this has always been the case.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
As has happened before, in many cultures, the police and military will follow orders of those at the top. As long as cops are not required to shoot a brother officer, they will do what their told by their superiors.

Similarly, the military will follow their officers. They will be told it is for the good of the country and will obey.

Remember where the ultimate loyalty of that man or woman in uniform's loyalty ultimately lies. Historically, this has always been the case.
In the U.S. there is a military & law enforcement culture that a soldier/officer refuse to comply with a clearly unlawful order - no matter who gives the order.

Further our law enforcement tradition has evolved mostly into shooting only to prevent an imminent danger to life or GBI.

Frankly, having been both, I don't see that US soldiers or law enforcement would participate in any kind of mass extra-judcial detentions of citizens & executions just because some superior officer told them to.

I think & know better of our soldiers & law enforcement officers than that.

And I find this statement rather insulting personally:
"As long as cops are not required to shoot a brother officer, they will do what their told by their superiors."
Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #44

and most of the officers i've met were extremely patriotic, very religious or both. in many cases they didn't like the civilian leadership. in the last 10 years we've had a lot of senior officers retire simply because they didn't like the civilian leadership. i've also met officers who come from wealthy families where there is a tradition of military service going back to the 1860's and earlier. they don't go into the military for money.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Frankly, having been both, I don't see that US soldiers or law enforcement would participate in any kind of mass extra-judcial detentions of citizens & executions just because some superior officer told them to.

"As long as cops are not required to shoot a brother officer, they will do what their told by their superiors."
So I guess the plan is going to be ship the regular police to Sudan, as all the military is busy with other wars, and then ask Mexico to aid us in policing.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
In the U.S. there is a military & law enforcement culture that a soldier/officer refuse to comply with a clearly unlawful order - no matter who gives the order.

Further our law enforcement tradition has evolved mostly into shooting only to prevent an imminent danger to life or GBI.

Consider the source Those I know in both professions don't feel this way either .
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post

It's obvious you never served in the military - at least not in any of the US branches.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's obvious you never served in the military - at least not in any of the US branches.
You talking about privates arranging unscheduled transfers of a Lt.?

Keep it quiet, man.

Ha
Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You talking about privates arranging unscheduled transfers of a Lt.?

Keep it quiet, man.

Ha
I'm not a veteran, but I've heard that many Lt.s met their maker in this manner during the Viet Nam War.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
I'm not a veteran, but I've heard that many Lt.s met their maker in this manner during the Viet Nam War.
Thats more myth than reality.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yadda yadda yadda...how 'bout them Saints?

Where's a moderator when you need one? Sweep this into the sandbox, please?