Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Real Estate as an investment other than your home?
REITS baby! instant ability to liquidate, no toilet clogs. 49 28.00%
Vacation home that appreciates. 34 19.43%
DST or Opportunity Zone investor. 7 4.00%
Commercial/NNN investor. 14 8.00%
Bed and Breakfast/airbnb/VRBO owner. 10 5.71%
Live on the same lot as my rental. 4 2.29%
Own and rent out single family home(s). 57 32.57%
Own and rent out apartments. 28 16.00%
Own property as appreciating land or farmland. 13 7.43%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCOzqP9Dt9E 6 3.43%
No "investment" RE - just my home 37 21.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidensong View Post

I'm intrigued by HaveEnough's real estate loans. I assume these are single family homes. I wonder what would be involved in turning duplexes into townhouse type properties so each side could be sold individually...

Are there are laws restricting private lending? It's an interesting idea I'd like more info about for on down the road. Any good websites with info on this?

I lend on SFH, new construction and an occasional duplex, triplex or quad. Largest "complex" was 5 duplexes, although these were "cheap" duplexes in a small town. Total was about 300K. I'll lend for the property and rehab amounts. Rehab funds are escrowed and paid out as work is performed.

There are laws restricting, the largest issue is lending to individuals, there are various consumer protections. So, you must lend to a corporation, LLC, entity if you want to do this a lot. Do your research on it, I believe you are permitted to originate 4 loans a year to individuals, but you have to be careful of rates and usury laws. This can be risky, you have to know what you are looking for in property evaluation.

I had some good mentors, no websites that I used. I did become active in our local Real Estate Investors Association (TREIA) in the Triangle (RTP, Raleigh)
HaveEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I own two rental flats in Poland (where I grew up). Real estate market is completely different there (no property taxes for example) but the best part is being far removed from whatever cyclical mess US economy goes through. I charge slightly below the market but as a result I have solid tenants that pay on time and maintain those places in great shape. I'm looking at buying a property in Portugal and perhaps moving to Europe.
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
If you are a landlord, are all your tenants continuing to pay in full or have any of them stopped paying and essentially squatting on your dime at this time? Are you experiencing any cash flow issues as a result of tenants not paying and inability to evict them due to moratoriums in place?
We haven't had any problem collecting checks but did reduce one tenant's rent for the balance of the year to help her out (our choice).

She's a front-line worker holding two jobs to manage and did come down with COVID from one of her clients.
partition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:00 AM   #84
Dryer sheet aficionado

Out of 48 units. (41 residential 7 storefronts) One who has not paid in 4 months. (Antique Shop) no one needs antiques. One who still owes for this month. No mortgages, FT maintenance man. We stay on top of all maintenance. Our goal is to treat our tenants the way we would want to be treated. Feel very blessed.
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

We own a real estate ETF and a private REIT.
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archman View Post
We own a real estate ETF and a private REIT.
I hope none of them are invested in Shopping malls.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:04 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Own and rent out single family home(s)."

Just 1 condo - inherited it from my father and thought it would be a good chance to learn about real estate investing.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I hope none of them are invested in Shopping malls.
The ETF has a 2% stake, the REIT has O%
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

We have about 80% of our NW in REIs. Which is actually down from about 95% not too long ago. This is spread out over REITs, vacation rentals, single or small multi-family, and commercial. REI is how we are "FIRE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
If you are a landlord, are all your tenants continuing to pay in full or have any of them stopped paying and essentially squatting on your dime at this time? Are you experiencing any cash flow issues as a result of tenants not paying and inability to evict them due to moratoriums in place?
It's not pretty, although it certainly could be much worse. 1/2 of our commercial tenants are behind by multiple months or had multiple months waived already, our short term rentals were down by about 35% across the board for March-June. Our traditional rentals are mostly unaffected (had a couple late payments that have been caught up) but I do think some of our vacancies have been longer than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I hold two promissory notes on residential real estate. Does that count?
Yeah, notes should be an option as well!
projectmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I have a total of 4 rental condo's. So far all the tenants have been paying their rents in full.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote