Join Early Retirement Today

how many friends do you have?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

how many friends do you have?

I guess I consider myself as one of the luck one because I am fortunately enough to have friends. Last weekend, someone pointed out to me that there is a huge different between friend and buddy. Buddies are the one that you can have fun with, share good memories, and will most likely to show up when there is a party with unlimited of beers at my house. Friends are someone that you can share deep thoughts, some personal information and even talk about finance with. Now that I think about it, I have a ton of acquaintances not friends. Heck an average folks can have up to 100 buddies in his Facebook. Just ask Hillary Clinton how many friends she has when she needed them the most.

how many friends do you have? Is it the internet, texting and online chat parts of the blame? I always thought the number of people that I sent Christmas card to are friends. Will see how many shows up at my funeral.. .heheeh.e…. Mom said I can always count on family.
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always had 1-3 friends at any given time. They usually slip back to acquaintance when they / I move away and we don't hang out as much. This number has been pretty constant my whole life.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that unlimited beer part certainly put a lot of folks in the buddy category.
Hmmm....I guess I have one friend I can really truly count on to always be there, and that is DH.

But my close circle of friends that may or may not be buddies, depending on how much beer is involved, probably runs to 6-8. Those are the folks we see every week.

Lots of distant friends, like the ones with kids and such--maybe 20-30 in that category, that we don't see all that often.

I might judge my friends more by proximity than your beer-drinking criteria--how often we either get together or stay in touch.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Just 1. The rest are acquaintances.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
gone traveling

DEFINING FRIENDS:

1. Friends will help you move.
2. Close friends will help you move twice.
3. Best friends will help you move a body.

Hope this helps.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
DEFINING FRIENDS:

1. Friends will help you move.
2. Close friends will help you move twice.
3. Best friends will help you move a body.
4) The BEST friends of ALL WON'T ASK whose body it is......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

How many bodies have you two moved?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have 2 best friends. Unfortunately, two of my best friends already died, one of suicide and one of a heart attack.

I have a LOT of acquaintances, including friends from my fraternity at college, etc.

I think a friend is someone you MAKE TIME for, regardless of how crazy life is, and an acquaintance is someone you can pick up the phone and catch up with kinda anytime you want.

Mem have more acquaintances than friends my a large number, I would say women have fewer folks overall, but the ones they have are more friends than acquaintances........

Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
How many bodies have you two moved?
I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you........

Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Like the help move the body post - true best friends would help drink your - less than your best batch of home brew beer without flinching.

But that was back in the old days in New Orleans.

Have maybe 1-3 up here that I might test someday from the doughnut shop.

But I've given up on home brew and I don't have any body's to move at this time.

heh heh heh - in New Orleans - he was a she.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

At my lowest point 2, currently about 5.
dshibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Friends are someone that you can share deep thoughts, some personal information and even talk about finance with.
Apparently I have thousands of friends!! Everyone on the ER Forum fits this definition of a friend.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Will see how many shows up at my funeral..
I used to think about this a lot, then I thought, "Don't think it will make much difference, I'll be ."

So when I take my last breath, just throw me under the front porch and lime me.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

5) Would dig the hole on his land, help you move the body, and toss a cow on top of the body so they just think there’s a cow in that hole.

I have 3 true friends. My wife, my father in law, and a farmer down the road.

At 5:23 am I had 446 best friends today. Once I finished tossing out of date bread out of the back of my truck they all just looked at me and went back to being my acquaintances by me standing in there field. My cattle…

But I think there are a few types…
-Life long friend. You might not talk to them for months at a time but can get on the phone and know everything that’s going in 30 min but would be ready to drop everything there doing to help you out.
-Best friend. Talk at least once a week and hang out a lot. They know more about you then you know of your self.
-Acquaintance by chance. The people that you work with that the only reason you know them is because you work there. When you leave work you will not see or talk to them until you see them at work the next day.
-Acquaintance by need. They know, have, or can get something you need.
-Acquaintance by choice. You go out of your way to see run into someone.
farmerbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #15

bbbamI writes (in another thread):

"Nice photos Dex. I wouldn't mind scraping a little ice off my appendages in order to experience such a stunning view. "

I'm sure Dex would be your friend if you scraped a little ice off of his appendage (and, I don't even know much about Dex except that he has high hopes for his high yield bond fund and that he follows foreign currencies and that he's well-read and that he hikes up mountains).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
bbbamI writes (in another thread):

"Nice photos Dex. I wouldn't mind scraping a little ice off my appendages in order to experience such a stunning view. "

I'm sure Dex would be your friend if you scraped a little ice off of his appendage (and, I don't even know much about Dex except that he has high hopes for his high yield bond fund and that he follows foreign currencies and that he's well-read and that he hikes up mountains).
Why scrape? ... just takes a little body heat to thaw things out...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I have 2 best friends. Unfortunately, two of my best friends already died, one of suicide and one of a heart attack.

I have a LOT of acquaintances, including friends from my fraternity at college, etc.

I think a friend is someone you MAKE TIME for, regardless of how crazy life is, and an acquaintance is someone you can pick up the phone and catch up with kinda anytime you want.

Mem have more acquaintances than friends my a large number, I would say women have fewer folks overall, but the ones they have are more friends than acquaintances........

Hey FinanceDude. Some friend you are. You killed them all.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I think friends will be more important to me after I retire. Not just golf buddies, but the more "brother-like" friendships mentioned above.

One of my life "imbalances" is that I don't have more time to cultivate the friendships I have and which I value.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #19

I have one "real" friend, and that's my DW.

I have other buddies that I share some common interests with, but I don't consider those to be deep relationships. My wife and I are not particularly social, so we don't really crave additional friendships.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #20

I sleep with one of my friend.