Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have never inherited anything. Am I the only one?
The only thing I inherited was a bad attitude.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
See post #69. Sometimes nothing is not a bad outcome.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still recall when my granddad passed, mom inherited (wait for it) almost $20K. That was ca 1963 so it was a decent chunk of change. We had lived in an old farm house that had been surrounded by new city. It was a bit better than a slum, but not by much. Because the family business was more or less next to the house, mom and dad didn't want to move very far, but they DID want to move. We moved 2 houses away to an existing but relatively new house. We must have been a site, carrying all our worldlies up the street each evening after school/w*rk.

Ironically, the old farm house is still there and I (plus DW) have lived in it, off-and-on for the past 50 years. We've fixed it up to make it quite livable over the years. It's the old home-stead which is still in the family - we rent it full time to have a mainland spot to land each year (clothes, furniture, TV, etc. etc ready to go when we arrive.) Inheritances CAN be a real blessing.

Our only inheritance was when DW's "rich" uncle died. He left every cousin $10K. That was 3 years ago, so not a fortune. In reality, we didn't need it for our life-style and couldn't seem to spend it for something "frivolous" like 1st class upgrade on our yearly travel. So, we donated it to our favorite charity. That brought us way more joy than new furniture or a cruise.

Since money is such a personal thing, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
See post #69. Sometimes nothing is not a bad outcome.
Yes DH would have been better off with inheriting "nothing." When DH's mother died she had no assets. DH and I paid for the funeral, the funeral cost much more than it should have because DH's 2 siblings talked him into it and told DH they would pay him back for their share of the funeral costs. That was over 10 years ago and DH has never received a penny toward the funeral from either sibling. So DH's inheritance was significantly less than nothing.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

No inheritances, no big gifts along the way. Many of my older relatives died after being in nursing homes for many years. When my great aunt's will was read she didn't have a penny but my mom pointed out all the "remembrances" she'd made in the will of what she had wanted to give everyone back when she wrote her will.

I had another aunt on my father's side who left my sister $30k back in the late '80's but because my sister was on SSDI she didn't get to keep any of it. My aunt didn't know that it should have gone into a trust for her, so money down the tubes. It sure would've been a helluva down payment on a house for me at that time.
reneeh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You are not alone. I haven't inherited anything, either.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #127
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
If the sum is large enough, then a irrevocable trust fund for the children can be set up. Unfortunately, irrevocable trust funds come with huge taxes. I would think that you can leave the money to the estate and hopefully by then they mature and not be stupid with the inheritance. If they continue to be stupid in years to come, you can change your trust/will to leave money to charity.
Thanks, they're already "mature adults" in most things ... just not finances. However, I still want to help them ... just NOT enable them!
Broland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

We put in Solar from an uncle's passing. Electric bill was under $40 this month! Some to the kids and the rest earning at Vanguard. I moved my retirement date up because of the gift.
ecowtent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowtent View Post
We put in Solar from an uncle's passing. Electric bill was under $40 this month! Some to the kids and the rest earning at Vanguard. I moved my retirement date up because of the gift.
Solar counts as cool in my book. The gift that keeps on giving. Here's to sunny days and low bills.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my mom inherited $30,000 she bought a 2 week timeshare 2 hours from my parent's home on the Long Island Sound in Connecticut since she always wanted a summer house on the water. They both had a lot of enjoyment with that purchase, as did we.

Similarly, my parents gave us a $30,000 upfront inheritance and I did the same thing, but in the mountains of Vermont which we had 22 fantastic years.

When my parents passed I inherited 1/2 their home (split with my brother), my mom's IRA and some other savings of theirs, as well as a small life insurance policy of my mother's. With the life insurance policy I bought a new car which I still have (Honda CRV 2013) and with the rest I opened a brokerage account and invested all the money.This was a game changer for our financial life and I am forever grateful.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I inherited 10k which added to my down payment on the house I was buying at the time so as to avoid PMI. Still have the house 20+ years later.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote