Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Vung tau
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
No insurance of any kind, I'd be dead before a lawsuit came to trial in my country!
Same here. Living in Asia there is a small chance of a lawsuit, it's just a totally different society. Plus I don't drive and have no properties so I can't see much of a risk.
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by VungTau View Post
Same here. Living in Asia there is a small chance of a lawsuit, it's just a totally different society. Plus I don't drive and have no properties so I can't see much of a risk.

Same here. Canada.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #163
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,375
Yes, at about 2/3 of NW. And I hope I never benefit from it. That would be awful.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crownsville
Posts: 3,096
I wanted to get an umbrella policy years ago, but ran into a complication. My Dad had bought a car, and put my name on the title, thinking it would make it easier to transfer to me when he passed away. I remember that being a sticking point...the insurance company was worried that, because my name was on Dad's car, it could theoretically get me into some trouble if he did something lawsuit-worthy with that car.


At first, they said they could just put it into the policy that they wouldn't cover anything resulting from that, but then, they simply refused. Well, Dad has passed away now. But, only problem is, I did it again. In 2012, I bought a new truck, and my uncle let me use his old one as a trade in. So, I put his name on the title, so he'd have my new truck if I died, with a minimum of fuss. At the time, Dad was still alive, so I wasn't thinking about umbrella policies.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets
Islandtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
I think I'm getting hosed. I pay $1,132 a year for 2 Mil. Wait until I see that greedy gecko.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 10,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtraveler View Post
I think I'm getting hosed. I pay $1,132 a year for 2 Mil. Wait until I see that greedy gecko.
Are you covering teenagers?
That is the highest I have heard for 2mm coverage though.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 14,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I wanted to get an umbrella policy years ago, but ran into a complication. My Dad had bought a car, and put my name on the title, thinking it would make it easier to transfer to me when he passed away. I remember that being a sticking point...the insurance company was worried that, because my name was on Dad's car, it could theoretically get me into some trouble if he did something lawsuit-worthy with that car.


At first, they said they could just put it into the policy that they wouldn't cover anything resulting from that, but then, they simply refused. Well, Dad has passed away now. But, only problem is, I did it again. In 2012, I bought a new truck, and my uncle let me use his old one as a trade in. So, I put his name on the title, so he'd have my new truck if I died, with a minimum of fuss. At the time, Dad was still alive, so I wasn't thinking about umbrella policies.
From the previous reasoning of Dad having car in your name.
This (Bold) won't stop Umbrella, because if you get into an accident, he will be sued, not you.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crownsville
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
From the previous reasoning of Dad having car in your name.
This (Bold) won't stop Umbrella, because if you get into an accident, he will be sued, not you.

but, if my Dad got into an accident that made for a big enough lawsuit, won't they possibly come after me as well, since I'm an owner of the vehicle? As in, if my Dad's insurance didn't wasn't enough to cover it, wouldn't they try to go "where the money is"?



As for my truck, that I put my uncle's name on, he does drive it every once in awhile. So the insurance company might still look at that as too much of a risk. I guess I could revisit them, and find out.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 3,954
Teenage drivers & way too many vehicles all push up my umbrella rate.

Owning rental home(s) can have an even bigger impact than the above.

I'll probably soon move the kids onto their own auto policies.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets
Islandtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Are you covering teenagers?
That is the highest I have heard for 2mm coverage though.
I have one 23 year old boy. He has had only one moving violation since he started driving. I think I will look into a separate policy for him. Saved a bundle on Health Insurance that way too.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #171
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Elyria, OH
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
From the previous reasoning of Dad having car in your name.
This (Bold) won't stop Umbrella, because if you get into an accident, he will be sued, not you.
This might depend on state law. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
but, if my Dad got into an accident that made for a big enough lawsuit, won't they possibly come after me as well, since I'm an owner of the vehicle? As in, if my Dad's insurance didn't wasn't enough to cover it, wouldn't they try to go "where the money is"?
Disclaimer: IANAL and state law on this may vary.

Possibly. In my state, there is something called owner's liability. The biggest risk is a single owner on the car title who lends their car to someone else, even between spouses. Both the driver and the owner of the car can be sued, even if the owner wasn't present in the car.

Example: a car is titled to only one spouse. The other spouse drives the car and gets into an at-fault accident. The spouse driver is sued and the spouse owner is sued for giving their spouse permission to drive the car. Joint assets are 100% at risk as well as individually owned assets, excluding exempt assets, of course.

The risk is somewhat mitigated when the car is jointly titled and the car is only driven by the joint owners, also because of state law. There is no owner's liability involved between joint owners, as both have permission to drive the car. In my state, joint owners are considered to own 50% of the property.

Example: a car is jointly titled to both spouses. One spouse gets into an at-fault accident. The spouse driver is sued. The other spouse can't be successfully sued as s/he couldn't deny or grant permission for the driving spouse to drive the car. Both have equal rights to drive the car. Only 50% of assets may be at risk in a lawsuit, because per my state law, each jointly owned account/property is considered 50% owned among 2 joint owners. The 50% deemed to belong to the non-driving joint owner is off-limits.

YMMV. If a state doesn't impose owner's liability in car accidents, it's a moot point. If a state considers joint owners to all own 100% of the assets, then it all could be up for grabs in a lawsuit.

It pays to know who you should own property/accounts with and why.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #172
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 14,823
^^^^ interesting, any chance there is a website that lists the States ?
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #173
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Elyria, OH
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
^^^^ interesting, any chance there is a website that lists the States ?
I researched my state law directly, so I don't know.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Umbrella Liability Policy RockyMtn FIRE and Money 48 10-19-2016 04:45 PM
To "umbrella" or not to "umbrella"... aza455 Other topics 107 05-19-2016 08:59 PM
Curious about umbrella liability policy experience H2ODude FIRE and Money 69 04-18-2012 05:55 PM
protecting assets- umbrella/liability insurance? nphx FIRE and Money 22 01-08-2009 10:00 PM
Personal Umbrella versus Personal Excess Liability policies ? Linney FIRE and Money 25 11-28-2006 08:06 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.