Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
$3M, costs a little over $500/year.

In my humble opinion $1M is not enough. Much too easy for the insurance company to not try hard enough when their cost is 'only' $1M and then end up with a judgement well in excess of that. I want them to be willing to invest a lot of time and effort in beating the claim.

Not even sure $3M is enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
We pay $951 for $2M in FL; we have four cars including our 22 yr old on our policy. We also have a rental. Ours seems higher than many.
Last month I read an article about umbrella policies and called Amica to bump up to 3M from 1M. I found out I'd been paying too much for the past year because when DD became independent with her own car and own insurance, they only addressed the auto and not umbrella. I'm disappointed in the otherwise excellent customer service that I've come to expect from Amica. But they did credit me with the lower rate for one year when DD was on her own.

One thing not mentioned in the article was retirement assets and primary residence being protected. If I'd known that, and if I learned that was the case in NC, I'm not sure I would have upped the coverage. I think it's around the $500 mark. I'll revisit next renewal, I suppose.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have a $1M policy with Amica.
2Muchfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigfoot View Post

Do you maintain a policy and if not, why? .
Yes
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
We pay $951 for $2M in FL; we have four cars including our 22 yr old on our policy. We also have a rental. Ours seems higher than many.
Yes, the above is one reason I decided our kid will not have a vehicle when they head off to university in FL this fall.

IIRC, nearly 90% of the umbrella premium is to cover excess auto liability.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes...was $1M and we just upped it to $2M a few months ago. It was reasonable priced
under $400. No way I'm risking everything we've worked for
jjflyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

$5mm - $435/yr
523HRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

1M in mi for $250. I'll revisit this in sept as our policy renews.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
How Many Here Have Umbrella Liability Coverage?
Old 07-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #88

How Many Here Have Umbrella Liability Coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
$3M, costs a little over $500/year.

In my humble opinion $1M is not enough. Much too easy for the insurance company to not try hard enough when their cost is 'only' $1M and then end up with a judgement well in excess of that. I want them to be willing to invest a lot of time and effort in beating the claim.

Not even sure $3M is enough...

Having recently obtained coverage, I found an industry website that said typically the first $1MM tier runs from $150-$300. The second $1MM tier usually runs about $75 and each $1MM tier after that runs about $50. My insurance agent confirmed those figures. As I also found out there is also a factor for the number of drivers on your auto policy. As cheap as the additional tiers are it seems like a no-brainer to have the additional coverage...
Old 07-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
As cheap as the additional tiers are it seems like a no-brainer to have the additional coverage...
The only wrinkle is that I have heard from several people that once you get above $2MM it becomes considerably more expensive and more of a hassle to get. No idea if that's a general situation or peculiar to them.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #90
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The only wrinkle is that I have heard from several people that once you get above $2MM it becomes considerably more expensive and more of a hassle to get. No idea if that's a general situation or peculiar to them.
When I had umbrella liability from State Farm, they said up to $2M was automatically available, and for any additional coverage the underwriters would need to interview me and a different questionnaire was needed. I changed insurers a few years back and currently I can get up to $5M, but the price after $2M jumps considerably.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$257 for $3 mil in Colorado. 2-50 somethings household.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #92

Yes, we have $1M policy
Old 07-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #93

Nope!

85% of assets are in uncollectable retirement plans.

My philosophy on insurance, as a BH shareholder, is that similar to Buffett, I would rather sell insurance rather than buy insurance if I can sustain the loss.

Auto insurance is rather pricey in my state, and I have multiple "older" vehicles.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, $2 million. Helps me sleep at night because it covers the legal costs, and the umbrella coverage is broader than the underlying (auto, home, rental) for exposures that I hadn’t thought of. Peace of mind.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #95

Back in 2015 I researched liability judgement and jury awards in our county in a high cost of living state. Out of a total of 150 cases, the average award was 750K (inflated due to a 33M award against a gangster for wrongful death and few 5-7M medical malpractice awards). The median award was only 15K. So for most people the probability of getting hit with a judgement in the millions of dollars is very small and if these were not rare the insurance companies would have jacked up their premiums considerably. That's why a 2M policy cost $300 to $400 but for that price why not have it for a peace of mind.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #96

$2 million coverage for $257, in a HCOL area, with State Farm.

I upped it from $1 million after DH died because the inherited spousal IRA is not protected like other retirement accounts, until I assume it/roll it over, and I'm not planning to do that until much closer to 59.5.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #97

Yes, we have it @ $115 a year. We've actually used it. Those lawyers are bulldogs and the case was dismissed with prejudice. I'll be a State Farm customer for life, because they really technically could have denied coverage on this particular incident.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, of course. The correct amount to insure in my judgment is the sum of one’s non-exempt assets. So if you own a house titled correctly with your spouse and your financial assets are all in 401Ks and IRAs, then you might not need this insurance. All others should look into it IMHO.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #99

$5million for $904 per year. Peace of mind!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal umbrella policies tend to be a very profitable line of business for insurance companies. In my 35 years of working for insurance companies, I only recall paying a few umbrella claims in my territory and few were for policy limits. The few I recall were just additional amounts over the top of the underlying coverage but not policy limits of the umbrella. I did see a claim where my employer declined to write an umbrella policy for customers that wanted higher limits than we cared to provide. That insured ended up with a major claim. Their grandchild drowned in their swimming pool and their adult children sued them for big $$. I don't believe the grandparents were even home, but cases like that are tough in front of a jury.

Insurance companies make money on umbrella policies by carefully underwriting them. They shy away from bad drivers, high-powered boats and other toys that are more likely to cause large lawsuits. Kids on ATV's going under barbed wire fences, falling off of golf carts, jet skis, etc. are always suspect as are trampolines and swimming pools.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote