Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Not at all. I'm simply trying to make the point that your anecdotal example is not entirely representative of the products available on the market today and your situation is unique to you. I appreciate that you brought your scenario up. By by my asking questions and making counterpoints, I think important additional information was brought out.

While I investigate the best path forward for DW and I, I'm Chateau-sur-Mer. I do tend to stick with the classic definition that those particularly needing LTCI as those who have too much for Medicaid but not enough to comfortably self-insure. Also, understanding how your spouse will be protected from impoverishment is key.

If you can comfortably self-insure, then LTCI is just a financial bet on your future health.
I appreciate your specific interest in the topic and hope that you ultimately receive what your are seeking. I'll add that nowhere did the thread state that contributors were not permitted to share past experience, that no LTC policy could be referenced in the thread which was purchased more than a week ago, or mentioned if they were no longer available for the same cost, with same structure and components, today.

To the contrary, the OP asked specifically for responders who have purchased LTC insurance as part of a retirement plan to provide 'experiences' and at which age the policy was purchased. This is the exactly the feedback I supplied.

It seems you have more specific LTC insurance discussion requirements and interests than the OP requested. Keep in mind that members replying to the OP are going to be supplying anecdotal responses which you indicate aren't of interest to you personally, as this is precisely the type of insight the OP requested.

I agree with your final comment.
syd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^

syd03, how did you get the term "Chateau-sur-Mer " into your quote of my post? (First line of the second paragraph.) I didn't say that. It isn't in my post. Did you add it?

Mods, any clue as to how this happened?
Old 09-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
^^^^^

syd03, how did you get the term "Chateau-sur-Mer " into your quote of my post? (First line of the second paragraph.) I didn't say that. It isn't in my post. Did you add it?

Mods, any clue as to how this happened?
Mods, that was me. Had Chateau-sur-Mer in a previous browsing session and when I hit edit undo on a prior post response, it popped in. Not sure how. My apologies
syd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd03 View Post
Mods, that was me. Had Chateau-sur-Mer in a previous browsing session and when I hit edit undo on a prior post response, it popped in. Not sure how. My apologies
Would you mind deleting it, please?
Old 09-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Would you mind sharing your ages, what the premium was and what the LI and LTC benefits are?
If you want to gauge the LTC market, why not go to an agent with your own specifics. And get some knowledge 0f what LTC policy features are available currently, what the pricing is for your own situation.

Someone else in this thread posted so-called outdated info from a few years ago for features that may no longer be available, and they were chided for so doing.

Yet here you are asking for just such? You could get 100% accurate info for you by going to an agent and getting some quotes.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #86

That is the thing for sure. almost to a fault, everyone has posted about their policy that is no longer offered
Old 09-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
That is the thing for sure. almost to a fault, everyone has posted about their policy that is no longer offered
Actually I believe my husband's hybrid policy still exists. He has Lincoln MoneyGuard II. You just need to check it out.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #88

Thanks I am now.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mom and Dad had a policy.
Mom passed a year and a half ago.
Dad is closing in on 86 yo.
He decided to let it lapse.

Seems like a good idea to me at that age.

I have no plan to buy one.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Actually I believe my husband's hybrid policy still exists. He has Lincoln MoneyGuard II. You just need to check it out.

Since you were in the senior care industry, as was I, and you seem very financially comfortable, Iím curious what your primary motivation was to buy LTCI. Is it to preserve assets for your son? To make sure the spouse who is trying to provide care for the sicker one doesnít feel they have to provide care at home without tapping into assets too much? Or Ö ?

Iíve seen that most LTCI policies seem to make it pretty difficult to collect on claims, so unless someone has a strong advocate to help them get the most out of the policy, they may not get the benefits hoped for. Also depending on how well the insurer pays, the desired LTC provider may not accept the policy.

It seems to me that if someone can afford to self-insure, much of the risk goes away. Self-insuring provides ultimate choice of providers and services to be purchased. And if one has sufficient assets, such as a rental property, equities, or something else that can be easily sold to fund the care because itís not being used as a source of funds for current living expenses, it seems that would be the preferred route.

What am I missing?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
If you want to gauge the LTC market, why not go to an agent with your own specifics. And get some knowledge 0f what LTC policy features are available currently, what the pricing is for your own situation.

Someone else in this thread posted so-called outdated info from a few years ago for features that may no longer be available, and they were chided for so doing.

Yet here you are asking for just such? You could get 100% accurate info for you by going to an agent and getting some quotes.
No, I was not asking for ďjust such.Ē And I wasnít asking you. Although I certainly honor your right to respond for others here on the forum.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Since you were in the senior care industry, as was I, and you seem very financially comfortable, Iím curious what your primary motivation was to buy LTCI. Is it to preserve assets for your son? To make sure the spouse who is trying to provide care for the sicker one doesnít feel they have to provide care at home without tapping into assets too much? Or Ö ?

Iíve seen that most LTCI policies seem to make it pretty difficult to collect on claims, so unless someone has a strong advocate to help them get the most out of the policy, they may not get the benefits hoped for. Also depending on how well the insurer pays, the desired LTC provider may not accept the policy.

It seems to me that if someone can afford to self-insure, much of the risk goes away. Self-insuring provides ultimate choice of providers and services to be purchased. And if one has sufficient assets, such as a rental property, equities, or something else that can be easily sold to fund the care because itís not being used as a source of funds for current living expenses, it seems that would be the preferred route.

What am I missing?
I think I have explained in prior posts.

1. People who have LTCI are more likely to accept care because they have paid into the insurance. Many wealthy people are reluctant to spend their money to pay for care even though they can well afford. In our observation of human behavior and psychology, we do not want to fall into the same trappings of not wanting to spend on getting care when we need as we age. We want better quality of life and also not make family our caregivers.

2. Claiming was never an issue as long as 2 ADLs were needed. We ran our business and had always succeeded in facilitating approvals and payments from LTC companies. We billed directly if our clients assigned benefits to us. What we observed was that sometimes, it was the clients' children who initiated the claim request instead of the clients and their parents really need not want care. When a RN was sent out to evaluate their ADL needs, they would tell the RN that they did not need help.

3. Most people, I would say 95% of the public have no idea how costly long term care can be. Many think they will self insure and the cost maybe just a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It maybe enough in most cases but it is insufficient for dragged out health conditions like dementia or a debilitating stroke but not enough to kill them fast.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

1. People who have LTCI are more likely to accept care because they have paid into the insurance. Many wealthy people are reluctant to spend their money to pay for care even though they can well afford. In our observation of human behavior and psychology, we do not want to fall into the same trappings of not wanting to spend on getting care when we need as we age. We want better quality of life and also not make family our caregivers.

2. Claiming was never an issue as long as 2 ADLs were needed. We ran our business and had always succeeded in facilitating approvals and payments from LTC companies. We billed directly if our clients assigned benefits to us. What we observed was that sometimes, it was the clients' children who initiated the claim request instead of the clients and their parents really need not want care. When a RN was sent out to evaluate their ADL needs, they would tell the RN that they did not need help.

3. Most people, I would say 95% of the public have no idea how costly long term care can be. Many think they will self insure and the cost maybe just a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It maybe enough in most cases but it is insufficient for dragged out health conditions like dementia or a debilitating stroke but not enough to kill them fast.
Based on your other posts, I would have never placed you personally in category #1 or #3.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:40 PM   #94

Given a lot of comments and perhaps worries on whether LTCi will pay claims when it comes time, this brief article from 2017 addresses the common hangups and how to avoid them for claims processing: https://ltcconsumer.com/four-tips-fi...surance-claim/

That site also has a lot of LTCi information otherwise.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:53 PM   #95

And there is also this LTCI article on overcoming/avoiding claims problems from Kiplingers:
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/re...ce%20companies.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:29 AM   #96

Self insured.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:15 AM   #97

How many own LTC insurance?

Quote:

Thank you for summarizing your rationale. I do not think DH or I would fall into categories 1 or 3. Assigning the benefits of LTCI over to the facility makes sense and likely gives people the best chance of recovering funds as long as the facility accepts the LTCI coverage. The operator I worked for did not accept many LTCI policies because of the low reimbursement rates.

I am confident that we will accept and pay for care if needed, just as we now pay for a housekeeper and other service providers that make our lives easier. And we certainly appreciate the potential cost, but Iím thinking that $1M+ net proceeds from selling our rental property should be far in excess of potential LTC expense, and likely more than any LTC policy would pay out. We value choice above all and it seems to me that if one can afford to self-insure, choice is maximized because there is no insurance company gatekeeper in the way.

Obviously YMMV. Certainly people with heirs likely feel very differently. DH and I agree that neither of us wants to be warehoused in a memory care facility for the last decade of our lives. We can only hope that by then there is legal euthanasia for these circumstances or if not, that we will have the courage to help carry out each otherís wishes despite any legal challenges.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #98

We are self insuring.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Thank you for summarizing your rationale. I do not think DH or I would fall into categories 1 or 3. Assigning the benefits of LTCI over to the facility makes sense and likely gives people the best chance of recovering funds as long as the facility accepts the LTCI coverage. The operator I worked for did not accept many LTCI policies because of the low reimbursement rates.
The reimbursement rate is the daily or monthly amount payable per the bought policy. It goes back to my point that even policy holders have no clue how expensive LTC can be. The facilities can balance bill the patients for the shortfall. However, many people cannot afford to pay the balance.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

As others have said, I decided not to get LTCi, due to cost and also some horror stories I read here about not being able to collect when you need it. Since I don't have children, I would have a hard time navigating making a claim if I end up with Alzheimers or dementia. I'm planning to go into a really nice CCRC with memory care as soon as my DH dies (he's 10 years older than me), or maybe go together, if he lives a long time. I realize some people *hate* the idea of losing their independence and leaving their home, but I am not like that. I love a package deal and don't mind following rules.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote