Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I adjusted the target age when I was in my early 30’s. When I hit the age, it was all smiles. The goal of 100% salary replacement was met sooner. When I hit the age, the money picture had been upgraded from a “print to a painting.” The posts weren’t NFL for me, I’m into NHL and the goal posts could be knocked off and put back on.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wanted to retire at 50 when I would get not only my pension but also health care for life. I moved it back 2 years to 52 so that I could pay off my house before I retired. Then I walked out. After a few months I went back to work but for myself. I worked for myself for a few years until I was bought out. Then I worked for someone else for two years until I had enough. By enough I do not mean enough money, I mean I was really tired of the hostile work environment there. So I guess you can say I move the goalposts three times.

Initially:. Partial DBP + HC
1st: Paid off primary residence
2nd: Bought out
3rd: Fed up
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm targeting retiring before I hit 50 in 2020. Let's see if that happens. I don't have a specific number and any previously target number I likely would have hit already.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I started a career late in life and set a goal to retire at 60.
Delayed that to 62 because of a very large stock option vesting at that time.
Like others who retired in 2010, the increase in net worth has been unexpected but welcome.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Shortly after 2010, I set it at the summer of 2023. I don't think I will move my target, as it is not tied to any financial goal. It is when my younger kid goes to college.

I have a 10k day thread here to track my target.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
This sort of begs the questions which I didn't really pick up on the replies... did your projected RE budget/income go up/down/match your final expense/income years? From your earlier plans for FI, how much did your FI number change (i.e. 20 years ago you thought $1M was the number and now its $3M or projected desired income was $50K, but now it's $150K)? How much do you contribute to the creep vs just missing the mark?
I set a goal to retire at 50 when I graduated from college. I had no idea how much money I would need. When I was 40 I looked to see if I was "on track" but it was a disorganized attempt. When I was 45 I started to do real calculations. I was "on track" given the little education on ER that I had at the time. When I was 48 I started reading and realized I was very close to meeting my goal. I then set a withdrawal rate goal and got VERY serious about looking at what my potential budget should be. The budget moved ALOT over the next 2 years (upward - I was getting more conservative and overestimating lots of expenses in an attempt to develop "belts and suspenders"). At 50 I moved the post when I set a 3% initial withdrawal rate goal (down from 3.5%). I retired at 52. Not far off a goal that I set 30+ years ago !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote