How many totally manage their own nest egg?

Where's the fun in that?
Here is what I tell the students in my Adult-Ed investing class: "Investing is boring. If you're not bored, you're not doing it right."

I've always managed my own. Started in 1986, when I opened an IRA at Fidelity.
My mother has an account at Edward Jones. Went with her on her last visit sometime in 2019. They recommended & purchased Valero energy @ $80.00 & AT&T in the low 30s.

Valero is now $40.00 & T is around 28.
Nuff said

Yep, still managing our own. We do stop in to see a fee-only financial advisor every few years for a sanity check. DW and I just had one of our periodic "meetings" today in order to determine how we plan to rebalance the holdings.

I manage all our finances myself, but, importantly, I've also identified a FA my wife could work with after my death, should I die before her. This is a person I trust and who is familiar with my approach.

This!

Many (most?) here are here because they are on their own and prefer it that way. Many (most?) appear to be self made millionaires. Like others here, the only time I took advice as part of a free “try us for 3 months” offer, they chose stuff I wasn’t familiar with and were losers every time. I still remember one dinner thing I went to before I realized how awful they can be, where the speaker was emphatic about dividends, like they were magic and the beauty of them was it didn’t matter what the stock price was, only the dividend mattered. Never been to another one.

Last edited:
I manage my nest egg by myself. About 25 years ago, when I began investing, I thought I needed someone and used Edward Jones but then I soon realized that they weren't doing anything that I couldn't do. This coincided with the advent of the personal computer and internet age so, I began on my own. Plus, I had a particular interest in learning to invest in individual stocks and wanted to learn how to trade as well. As far as taxes go, I just bring my 1099 from my brokerage firm to the tax place and for less than $100, let them do all the filing for federal and state. I invest both passively and actively.

I manage our own finances. No advisor, no service.

I am a little behind on my reading but this may be relevant: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...a-money-manager-investors-are-getting-savvier

Now that the bear market is officially over, with the U.S. stock market having reclaimed its pre-coronavirus peak in August, it’s a good time to ask how well investors navigated the market’s breakneck plunge and recovery, the fastest round-trip on record. The answer may inform another question that is increasingly on the minds of individual investors: whether to hand their savings to a money manager or invest it themselves.

I have managed my own investments since my full service broker passed away in the mid ‘80s.

Staying the course has always worked for me. The recent dip was a good test of my AA and strategy since it was the first since I retired.

Nobody cares more about your money than you do. If that's not the case you either have too much or you don't care. From my DGM. I roughly follow that advice.

Although we still employ an FA for 10% of our portfolio as a safety net for my wife (1% fee), as the day approaches, I am thinking of putting it all in VBAL. Then she can hire him back when she gets the $800k from the insurance company. There is a good chance he will retire before she needs him anyway!

I manage ours. We do have an advisor through FIDO, but use him rarely. When I'm going to make a big move on something I consult him first...but we choose our own investments.

Back
Top Bottom