Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Where's the fun in that?
Here is what I tell the students in my Adult-Ed investing class: "Investing is boring. If you're not bored, you're not doing it right."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #302
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a FA once, until he fired ME!
On my own since.
14thMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #303
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always managed my own. Started in 1986, when I opened an IRA at Fidelity.
My mother has an account at Edward Jones. Went with her on her last visit sometime in 2019. They recommended & purchased Valero energy @ $80.00 & AT&T in the low 30s.

Valero is now $40.00 & T is around 28.
Nuff said
Old 10-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #304
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
Had a FA once, until he fired ME!
On my own since.
You have to tell us how that happened.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #305

Yep, still managing our own. We do stop in to see a fee-only financial advisor every few years for a sanity check. DW and I just had one of our periodic "meetings" today in order to determine how we plan to rebalance the holdings.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #306
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
I manage all our finances myself, but, importantly, I've also identified a FA my wife could work with after my death, should I die before her. This is a person I trust and who is familiar with my approach.

This!
Old 10-07-2020, 01:07 AM   #307

Many (most?) here are here because they are on their own and prefer it that way. Many (most?) appear to be self made millionaires. Like others here, the only time I took advice as part of a free “try us for 3 months” offer, they chose stuff I wasn’t familiar with and were losers every time. I still remember one dinner thing I went to before I realized how awful they can be, where the speaker was emphatic about dividends, like they were magic and the beauty of them was it didn’t matter what the stock price was, only the dividend mattered. Never been to another one.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #308
Dryer sheet aficionado

I manage my nest egg by myself. About 25 years ago, when I began investing, I thought I needed someone and used Edward Jones but then I soon realized that they weren't doing anything that I couldn't do. This coincided with the advent of the personal computer and internet age so, I began on my own. Plus, I had a particular interest in learning to invest in individual stocks and wanted to learn how to trade as well. As far as taxes go, I just bring my 1099 from my brokerage firm to the tax place and for less than $100, let them do all the filing for federal and state. I invest both passively and actively.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #309
Dryer sheet wannabe

I manage our own finances. No advisor, no service.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #310
Give me a forum ...

I am a little behind on my reading but this may be relevant: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...etting-savvier

Quote:
Now that the bear market is officially over, with the U.S. stock market having reclaimed its pre-coronavirus peak in August, it’s a good time to ask how well investors navigated the market’s breakneck plunge and recovery, the fastest round-trip on record. The answer may inform another question that is increasingly on the minds of individual investors: whether to hand their savings to a money manager or invest it themselves.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #311
Recycles dryer sheets

I have managed my own investments since my full service broker passed away in the mid 80s.

Staying the course has always worked for me. The recent dip was a good test of my AA and strategy since it was the first since I retired.
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #312

Nobody cares more about your money than you do. If that's not the case you either have too much or you don't care. From my DGM. I roughly follow that advice.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Although we still employ an FA for 10% of our portfolio as a safety net for my wife (1% fee), as the day approaches, I am thinking of putting it all in VBAL. Then she can hire him back when she gets the $800k from the insurance company. There is a good chance he will retire before she needs him anyway!
Old 10-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #314

I manage ours. We do have an advisor through FIDO, but use him rarely. When I'm going to make a big move on something I consult him first...but we choose our own investments.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Nobody cares more about your money than you do. ....
+1