Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I “totally” manage our nest egg but I get a ton of help from Fidelity, Vanguard, this forum, and the internet in general. These resources provide more data than I am capable of processing. Fortunately I have an organizational mindset that enables me to choose a strategy and shut off extraneous inputs. It’s so much different from the days of relying on the daily news and weekly/monthly periodicals for info.
What I can’t fathom is why anyone would pay anything like 1% AUM to an advisor to invest in mutual funds that have their own ER. Vanguard’s Advisory Service at 30 bp seems reasonable, though. I wonder if they offer guidance on non Vanguard accounts. I don’t have a good plan in place for DW if I am not capable.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

I manage all of our Fidelity investing. DW handles the banking, including rollover stacked CDs.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Yeah, ha .... I researched Kaufmann’s numbers and opened an account a long time ago.

Good performance. Just let it ride ...

I do offset the volatility with other holdings.
Back in the early '90s when small caps were hot, Kaufmann was flying high. They definitely had their day.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean56 View Post
I manage my own investments. I've never used a financial advisor, I can't see paying somebody for something I enjoy doing.
ditto
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

No broker, FA and kinda hands off in that went full auto Target Retirement since 2006 trusting those 'trusty' Vanguard computers to adjust asset mix and re balance.

As in every football season I'm tempted to buy a few good stocks with mad money. It's a male hormone thing.

heh heh heh - small amount of total world stock index ETF and a world bond fund from prior years.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #106

I have never had a FA and have developed all the investing and planning myself. However, I did meet with a Dave Ramsey advisor in mid 2005 to see what they thought of my retirement planning. It was free. After he took my investment information etc. and processed it to come up with an evaluation he said in our second meeting that he couldn't really improve on my plans. Although, he did make some suggestions on investment options which I gracefully declined.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Manage all of my investment accounts, including DW HSA and IRA.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I manage the investing side of finance, while my wife takes care of paying bills.

Can't trust anybody else, because I cannot be sure that they understand the "Nest Egg Principle".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #109
Confused about dryer sheets

Does anyone use TD Ameritrade when managing the retirement? All i have seen on this topic is Fedelity.
Razor Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Hog View Post
Does anyone use TD Ameritrade when managing the retirement? All i have seen on this topic is Fedelity.
TD has historically been focused on traders and you will find few traders here. Vanguard, Fido, and Schwab tend to be the most mentioned here. We're at Schwab and very happy.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Ourselves, always have. Mostly Fidelity.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

No FA or Service. Self Manage. Small portion managed by robo (schwab intelligent portfolio)
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I do 99% of the time. Every other year or so, I use a fee only financial planner who answers questions on asset allocation, tax planning, etc. She charges about what we'd spend on a domestic airline ticket. I like the critical eye, guidance and hand-holding. Our entire portfolio is at Vanguard.
Somewhat similar to the above.^ Strictly Vanguard funds plus some CDs and I-Bonds with me as the "CFP" employing Boglehead principles. Never used an AUM advisor. I recently had a well respected, high integrity investment advisor review my portfolio for about $500. He gave me an A-/B+ with a couple of minor recommendations for tweaking/simplification. Besides that benefit, it established a relationship so my wife has someone from whom to seek pay-by-the-hour investment advice if she ends up without her personal "CFP". I may get a sanity check from him every 5 years or so but otherwise strictly DIY.

Edited to add: forgot to mention that I enjoy this stuff as well so wouldn't want to pay someone else to take my fun away.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #114

I manage my own investments and I have never hired or paid for a financial advisor.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:56 AM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

I manage our investments and those of my mother (widow) also. Never talked to a planner but did have a young broker over the summer stop by the house several times once he figured out I was at home during all kinds of "normal working hours" for most. Finally had to send him on his way...I didn't get here using any of their services nor need them now.
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I have always managed my own finances. Nothing fancy - cash, mutual funds, a few stocks/ETFs. If I felt the need to hit home runs and beat the market (HA HA HA) with my investments I *might8 consider risking having someone else manage, but I am fine with hitting singles. There is so much free information and guidance out there to help you do that.

I also have this "weird" attitude - if I invest something and it does not work out, I am fine with blaming myself and being at peace and patient. If someone else took my money and invested it, and it did not work out, I would be very, very unhappy and impatient. So I manage my own finances to keep the peace.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

I also have this "weird" attitude - if I invest something and it does not work out, I am fine with blaming myself and being at peace and patient. If someone else took my money and invested it, and it did not work out, I would be very, very unhappy and impatient. So I manage my own finances to keep the peace.

That’s interesting. I compare notes with a colleague that uses EJ. He’s always asking about this and that but when I ask him why he doesn’t he ask his guy at EJ. he says they give advice but don’t discuss the reason for the advice. He uses them because if they run out of money he can tell his DW he hired a pro and won’t have to take responsibility if he self manages and runs out of money.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #118
gone traveling

Looks like there's somewhere around 110 on here that do. How many members are there?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #119
Gone but not forgotten

I manage the big stuff... Once a year, I check the status of our IBonds, while jeanie does the easy stuff... she pays the bills.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
That’s interesting. I compare notes with a colleague that uses EJ. He’s always asking about this and that but when I ask him why he doesn’t he ask his guy at EJ. he says they give advice but don’t discuss the reason for the advice. He uses them because if they run out of money he can tell his DW he hired a pro and won’t have to take responsibility if he self manages and runs out of money.
But isn't he responsible for hiring the guy that had them run out of money?

I just don't get this idea of abdicating responsibility, makes no sense to me. Another poster said he was turning his account over to an FA so that he doesn't get excited and sell at a low. Again, I don't understand choosing to hire someone to choose to do the opposite of what you would do? It's still a choice. It's still your choice. If you can choose someone to not sell low, why not just not sell low, and eliminate the middle-man?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote