How many totally manage their own nest egg?

I agree that a poll would be more helpful. Otherwise, yes, I manage our finances and investments without any outside assistance.

Same here - have done it starting with my first dollar earned

I've been managing my own money since the first dollar. Dad gave zero advice, very close to the vest. Very first brokerage account with Raymond James (er... thieves) got me into cruelly priced closed end funds during rollover and reemployment. By the time I got some breathing room I had lost most of the 90's boom. Migrated to Schwab and never looked back. I am shifting toward their Robo account as my preferred account anchor.

I manage our accounts and always have. Just last year we moved to FIDO and got a CFP assigned to us...but he's just there to ask detailed questions to and I like to "run things by" him if I'm doing something major. We meet with him once a year and a few topics we've discussed the past two years are:

1) How do TIPS work?
2) Do you offer a deferred shared life annuity? Can you give me a quote?
3) Does FIDO have a way to automatically "rebuild" my CD ladder that I've set up?
4) Here are the CD ladders I'm going to buy...do you see any issues with this as far as exceeding the FDIC insurance limits?

Those are the kinds of things we use him for.

In full disclosure, I have an MBA in Finance and worked in Corporate Finance for a Fortune500 company for 24 years.

So hows that rate of return working out for you forum professionals. In it for the long-term right. Hows the draw off?

I am still fine. with 35% equities and 5-7 years of cash, this is not affecting my daily life. As I told DW, the main people it might impact are the ones we intend to leave money to. :) I do not need to maximize my returns, so my losses are relatively small compared to others.

While I hate seeing the market going down, I have always modeled what would happen with a 50-60% market selloff to my portfolio. If I was comfortable with the result, no worries.

I am not expecting a fast rebound, but whatever it takes I believe we will be fine.

I feel like I am "advised" by owning things like Wellington or Fidelity contrafund. Other then that I am YOYO. (you're on your own-phrase usually followed by profanity)

I totally manage my own nest egg. I have managed it since I started investing in the stock market in 1995.

Well, I don't remember what that post was about, but my long term rate of return will almost certainly be unchanged after the current excitement settles out. Right now our equities are probably down and our TIPS are probably up. I don't know because I haven't checked.

For those who are up or down lately it isn't at all about being smart or dumb; it's simply about being lucky or unlucky.

Of course you'd say that

Never heard that one before.

You've never been a professional trader

I don't think that is the word you were looking for....

Look it up

My heart is with the retirees that are humble and respect the markets with impunity.

Impunity: freedom from punishment or exempt from injurious consequences.

I’m confused too. Why are humble retirees who are exempt from injurious consequences deserving of your heart?

Originally Posted by allstock View Post
There's a saying in our industry that Bulls and Bears make money and pigs and sheep get slaughtered.
Never heard that one before.

You've never been a professional trader

Look it up

I'm with Gumby. I'm familiar with a version of that:

"Bulls make money, bears make money and hogs (or pigs) get slaughtered."

I googled, and couldn't find a reference that lumped sheep with pigs/hogs getting slaughtered.

This ref says " Sheep are passive and fearful followers of trends, tips and gurus. They sometimes put on bull horns or a bearskin and try to swagger. You recognize them by their pitiful bleating when the market becomes volatile."

"Bleating" is not "slaughtering".

Can you look it up, and provide a link? I'm curious now. Especially since you were so insistent and condescending.

-ERD50

I'm with Gumby. I'm familiar with a version of that:

"Bulls make money, bears make money and hogs (or pigs) get slaughtered."

I googled, and couldn't find a reference that lumped sheep with pigs/hogs getting slaughtered.

This ref says " Sheep are passive and fearful followers of trends, tips and gurus. They sometimes put on bull horns or a bearskin and try to swagger. You recognize them by their pitiful bleating when the market becomes volatile."

"Bleating" is not "slaughtering".

Can you look it up, and provide a link? I'm curious now. Especially since you were so insistent and condescending.

-ERD50

While not the poster you asked, here is only one such reference you asked for. Took me < 20 seconds to find.

https://www.northberkeleyinvestment.com/articles/bears-and-sheep.html

"Bulls make money. Bears make money. Pigs and sheep get slaughtered." - Anonymous

Last edited:
Yep, I manage my own money. If things go well, have myself to brag. If do poorly, no one to blame but myself. Wouldn't have things any other way :).

Nestegg? I'm looking to the future thinking our nestegg consists of I bonds, CD's and EE bonds.

OK, I did google it, and spent more than 20 seconds looking, it didn't come up in any of the long list on the first page that I saw.

2008? Sure seems to be rare, compared to the other's we know of.

-ERD50

Granted it is more rare with the sheep included. FYI, I searched "Pigs and sheep get slaughtered" in quotes. I got 82 hits with google. Only one or two referred to actual slaughter houses. Use quotes (") with the phrase it helps to weed out a lot

Granted it is more rare with the sheep included. FYI, I searched "Pigs and sheep get slaughtered" in quotes. I got 82 hits with google. Only one or two referred to actual slaughter houses. Use quotes (") with the phrase it helps to weed out a lot

I thought the saying was "Pigs get fed. Hogs get slaughtered" or ""Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered".

I have had a few short bouts with FA’s, but for the last several years run the show myself. I created an Excel spreadsheet of my entire portfolio which calculates my overall asset allocation and performance and I use it to rebalance every year at the same time.

I have never had an FA but that did not stop Fidelity and Vanguard from trying. Always DIY and learned a few financial lessons the hard way many years ago, but things have turned out OK. Retired last year and currently have most of my investments in index funds.

Back
Top Bottom