How many years do you work before retire???

Should I include my paper route years? :confused:

If so, 40.
I wouldn't think so. I said 40, but that was starting with my first full time job in my vocation. But I didn't count lots of earlier stuff, that I don't even recall very clearly. Parking lot attendant, bridge painting, road tarring, department store clerk, yard driver of truck chassis, inventory control clerk, bus boy, driver, research assistant, apple picker, teaching assistant, administrative assistant.

29 years worked so far. ER somewhere between May 2012 (earliest) and May 2015 (latest). So, it will end up being 30 to 33 years worked, retiring between 53 and 56.

Should I include my paper route years? :confused:

If so, 40.
How about the time spent pulling a toof and receiving money from the toof fairy?
smiley-sick011.gif

I started working at 7 picking green beans. Did that until I was 16 plus babysitting after 12. I worked in a factory for 6 months at 18 and did little things like 3 days as a waitress, housekeeping for motels, managing apartments off and on until I was in my 20s. But I married at 19 and he didn't want me to work so mostly I didn't unless we really needed the money. At 22 I wanted to go to college and so I got a 2 year degree in accounting and he agreed I could get a job to get experience in case I ever needed to work. Once I landed my first accounting job I didn't ever want to quit working so I started in 1974 and other than unemployed times have worked since. I got a 4 year degree in 1991 and became a CPA but didn't want to work as one. I did accounting software support for 11 years, public accounting for 17 years and private accounting for 9 so about 37 years so far.

I saved enough to retire but I like my job. My boss knows I saved enough to retire so seems to treat me even better. I just got a nice raise, he tells people to do whatever I tell them and gave a raise to another worker because I said she deserved one. They seem to think if I am not happy nobody is happy.

I might wait until 65 to retire, it is less than 2 years. It lets me see what my investments do and work longer if they go bad or if they go up I could be wealthy.

Lets' see, if I count the paper routes starting at age 11, working at a restaurant washing dishes and a paper routes from age 12 thru 15, working as a bag boy and in the produce department at Jewel Foods from age 16 thru 17, driving a cab during the summers/holidays from age 18 thru 19, CTA conducter on L trains during the summers from age 20 thru 21 and driving a CTA bus when I was 22, then it has been 44 years of work.

Golfnut

here are the results

it's good to hear that no one in this forum have to work up to 53 years til retirement. Correct if I miss anyone but according to all the post the estimate here is what we got

shortest 13 years
longest 46 years
median 32 years

with that said and if life is beautiful. I am shooting for 28 years.

enuff

PS. Wheeze, this forum is bad for the working morale. :mad:

Only counting post-college employment, DH will retire after 31 years at age 55 (in 2012). All of the years were at the same company, so he will be receiving a pension. We could do it on his 401k/other savings alone, but our lifestyle (basically the retirement home that we purchased) would have been A LOT different.

I will go at age 56 in 2014 with around 33 years. I am a member of the Fed Golden Handcuffs Plan. I am financially and mentally ready, now...

I'll be at 29 years of teaching when I retire next year. I began when I was 22. Of course, I had some odd jobs during high school and college.

Hi,

I'm new here and living in the UK. You all seem to be living in the US. I guess the principle is the same on both sides of the pond. I started full time work at age 17, did lots of part time jobs in my teens. I will be 50 years old in 8 months time. I have a company pension that I could use from age 50 but it would be reduced because I would be taking it so early. I have invested in various bonds and things and could live the same quality of life as I do now if I left full time employment at 50. I'll probably leave at 52. I have no kids but I am married and my wife does not earn very much, I own my property. I cannot wait to retire or at least give up the full time daily grind in London. I have people around me who cannot believe that I would leave work at 52 they tell me that I should stick at it until 60. I would feel slightly embarrassed at retiring early but I shouldn't as I will have worked hard for 35 years. I just worry about declining health in the future which is why I want to get out at 52 and enjoy myself for my remaining years. As everyone says 'you only live once' I feel that I have done my time at the coal face and deserve some 'me' time before it is too late.

Thanks

Peter.

Last edited:
Welcome, Evergreen. There are indeed a fair number of Brits on the board, but, as you note, our experiences are similar. It seems you are well on your way to retired bliss. Congratulations.

If you would like, you could post your introduction under the "Hi I am" subforum and more people will see that you have joined us.

Guess I hold the record. I started working part time, odd jobs at 11. Had my first paycheck with deductions at 14, started working full time at 17. Even in college had to work more then 40 hours a week. I retired after 30 years at one megacorp and doing so 3-31-2012 from another after 14 years. Counting from my first part time work, have been working for 55 years. But I never had any interest in not working. Even now I have some doubts about stopping. I have always loved work. Got to travel all over the world, meet people from all cultures speaking different languages and accomplishing amazing things. It's never been about financials. I could have afforded to retire at 52 when I left my first megacorp. I just enjoy working more then playing. And I play hard when I do. I ski, ride motorcycles, golf, travel, and do all sorts of fun stuff. I joined this forum to help me make the transition as I decided a year ago I really needed to stop working. So we will see how it all plays out starting April fools day.

I'm not retired yet, hope to hang it up in about 3-5 years.

Since college, I've reached FI or very close to it in 22 years (but this includes being a part time landlord). I had various part time jobs in high school and college.

So, I'm thinking 25 - 27 years total, then maybe back to part time fun work in the future.

Last edited:
Not counting the paper routes, lawn jobs, summer jobs....8 years at company #1, 20 years at company #2. Fortunately both companies had pensions and 401k's with matches that I took full advantage.

My aim is to get out of the full time rat race, I'll probably do some sort of on/off part time work when I leave. I've actually got used to some sort of work in my life. The money that I earn from this will fund travelling etc.

I began work at company "X" on August 31, 1979. I fired on August 31, 2009. Exactly 30 years. I thought it had a nice symmetry.

31 years, but during about a dozen of those years I was working full time and going to university. And then for a couple of years I worked two jobs.* So, it felt like more.... :)

I am SO happy to be retired! :dance: Life is good, and it was all worth it.

*An antiquated practice known as "moonlighting" back in the Dark Ages, that isn't practiced any more in the civilized world, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
31 years.Also seemed longer to me because of all the OT I worked.From 10 to 17years old I had a paper route.This may sound crazy but seriously,it was may favorite job.Or maybe I"m just daydreaming of my youthful days.Anyway it was what it was,and yep, it was worth it.

....From 10 to 17years old I had a paper route.This may sound crazy but seriously,it was may favorite job....

+1 I feel the same about my clerk/stocking job during the 3rd shift in high school and college. Boy do I miss those days.

From 10 to 17years old I had a paper route.This may sound crazy but seriously,it was may favorite job.Or maybe I"m just daydreaming of my youthful days.Anyway it was what it was,and yep, it was worth it.
+1 I feel the same about my clerk/stocking job during the 3rd shift in high school and college. Boy do I miss those days.
I wonder if many of us remember our early jobs with pleasure. I had a lot of fun as a rent-a-car girl at the International Market Place in Waikiki. I worked at an outside stand where I could see and talk to all the passersby, and enjoy the lovely weather and breezes. I got to wear a muu-muu and sandals to work, and my boss brought me a pretty lei every day to wear. I was encouraged to tan, wear flowers in my hair, and especially to flirt with the guys and try to get them to rent a car. At barely 18, with raging hormones I didn't need much encouragement to flirt! And when things were slow, I could read or study and nobody minded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom