How many years do you work before retire???

Evergreen, I read your older post and this latest one. Congratulations. I imagine most of work done below the senior leadership level of organizations is just as awful on both sides of the pond. I suspect the main reason for worker disengagement everywhere is that working environments have changed, and not at all for the better.

I FIRE in 13 weeks 5 days 12 hours 26 minutes 23 seconds and counting (but I'm not really keeping track :)) and am not at all embarrassed to be finished with what passes for work these days. In fact, I tell everyone I meet!

What's great about this new adventure you've entered into is that you can make it any way you want. I can't imagine anything better. Have you thought about doing some reading regarding life after retirement? You could start by searching threads here.

Good luck with your FIRE, I won't be too far behind you!

14-17yrs old = part time 20-30 hrs week

17-18 yrs old = full time job + full time college student

18- 45 yrs old = averaged 100+ hrs wk

@ 26 yrs old thought I was going to die, didn't know my kids or wife.
not much choice as there were many waiting for a job like I had that would gladly work like they worked us, To get Sunday off they would make us stay all of Sat to get the work done which usually meant 24-26 hrs straight. They would have a "runner" that would drive us to and from the job because they knew we couldn't drive without killing ourselves or someone else.
Moved clear across the country for something better and it was but soon was back to 100+ hrs wk

NOW, I am glad how it turned out. Back then I was not!

Retired this year at age 57. Worked PT through high school starting at age 14. So 43 years total.....

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

"How many years do you work before you retire?"

I think the correct answer to this question is "all of them."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

30 yrs at my career and about 4 yrs of part-time work while in school. Retired at 51 when offered a voluntary layoff :D

40 years. Retired at 58.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

What have you been doing with your spare time 523HRR? I would imagine that the 1st year was great and probably quite hard to adjust to after full time work. I'm about to take the plunge in late 2015 (with luck).

What have you been doing with your spare time 523HRR? I would imagine that the 1st year was great and probably quite hard to adjust to after full time work. I'm about to take the plunge in late 2015 (with luck).

Evergreen, I've found ER to be good for the soul. Some volunteering, daily exercise / keeping fit, doing more routine things together with DW, attend all of my son's sports / school events, more connected with friends and family, lingering over meals, a little travel, regular rounds of golf, a widening social circle that did not seem possible while w*rking. Basically, every day is a Saturday. Good luck with the "plunge" next year!

so far 38, still working, expect to be out by 42 years working, maybe earlier depending on Mr. Market.

Started working at 13. Worked part-time during the school year and full-time+ during summer breaks until I finished my grad degree at 23. 20 years of continuous employment since with 3 different companies.

Expect to be FIRE-able in 7 years at 50. We'll see if I pull the pin or not.

So, I expect it to be 27 career years and 10 pre-career years.

34 years of full time, 30 with a mega corp. then 3 1/2 years part time working for a contractor I used to hire when working for said mega corp, who then became my customer. Retired from full time at 56. The part time gig was timed to somewhat meet the 59 1/2 age. It also allowed me the spare time to get moved, get a home built, and get moved into it. Now....I do what DW, DS, DD, DSIL ask....which is often going fishing...so I don't complain much.

First "real" j*b? Pumping gas, 1971. ($1.20/hr) Current FIRE plan is for 8/31/2015, so 44, give or take.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

31 yrs. plus 2 1/2 while in college. Done (thank God) at 55! :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom