Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How much cash do you carry ?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
gone traveling

How much cash do you carry ?

I have noticed that many of my office co-workers barely have 2 nickles to rub together (so-to-speak), and have to borrow money for anything out of a vending machine, or sometimes lunch. I just can't believe that so many folks are running around completely dependent on their credit/debit card, or the kindness of others.

I am in an office Super-Lotto pool (auxiliary retirement plan) that is $2 a week, so every 2-3 months, I give the organizer a $20 bill, and forget it. She has to keep reminding other participants to dredge their $2 out of the old wallet every week, and some are behind.

It is a rare day that I don't have a $20 bill, a $10 bill, a few $5 bills, and a few $1 bills...usually about $50 in cash. This helps immensely if you have unforeseen car trouble, or any other unplanned need. How about you folks ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I try to carry $100. I'm also trying to get more "up to date" on other payment methods. Just got ApplePay working. BUT, went to a breakfast place on Saturday and guess what? No CC, no Venmo, no PayPal, no ApplePay. Just cold hard cash. I had it in my pocket, breakfast for 3 successful!
PJHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Anywhere between $0 and $20. I used to go on week long business trips with $3 in my wallet and return with $2. Cash is so 1980's these days.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
...a $20 bill, a $10 bill, a few $5 bills, and a few $1 bills...usually about $50 in cash.
me too
Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have not used money for regular things in at least 10 or 12 years. I always use my debit card except in strange or "one-off" places. Then I use a credit card. However, I never go anyplace without at least a couple of $20's or some 5's & 10's in my pocket for that "Ya never know/just in case" situation I can't even think of an example of.

At Christmastime I go around with a wad of $1's for the bell ringers and other charity nodes I run into. I consider that "Special Purpose" money.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

40-60. I also carry 1’s at Xmas for the bell ringers.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Like most others...not a lot....we charge (pretty much) everything, for the 'points'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #8

max ATM limit is $300, so thats how much I pull at a time...
I use CC's at large corps but pay cash at small businesses to save them the CC fees.
If it weren't for CC cash back I'd use cash most everywhere except the gas pump.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I dislike carrying coins and that's what I usually get when using cash. So, I almost always use a credit card or Apple pay. I carry one or two $20s for cash emergencies.

DW carries small bills for tipping, and we are almost always together.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep two $100 bills folded and stashed at all times just in case my credit card fails for whatever reason (I just carry the one unless we're traveling). That and usually anywhere from $20 - $100 just because. We rarely use cash but I've usually have that much on me. We hit a couple of restaurants and food trucks that don't take credit cards. That and the occasional seedy bar we'll stop at.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

$300 to $500 in cash. I use credit cards with most businesses. However, I find it convenient to have the cash for the few times each year when I would otherwise have to find a checkbook or go to the bank.
MikeTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #12

I usually carry between $100-$200, sometimes more.

It bugs the DW*, but I don't feel comfortable unless I have that much in my wallet. I tell myself it's for emergencies, but I grew up somewhat impoverished and suspect there's some psychological "need" at the root of it.

(* It can't bug her too much, because whenever she needs cash, she knows she can get it from me instead of stopping at an ATM. )
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

usually a few hundred
Old 07-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like I'm out of touch with the mainstream. I generally keep $2,000 between my wallet and my work computer tote bag as well as $100 hidden in each of the cars for emergencies or "I forgot my wallet" situations. Those seem to happen more frequently when we're in Florida and not wearing many clothes.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

100 to 300. 200 at the atm when the wallet gets down to 100
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I always have a few hundred $ cash with me just in case but use credit cards to pay. No excuses really from others not to pay their share nowadays with Venmo, PayPal, vendors happily splitting tabs.
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #17

I have $6 in my wallet right now which is maybe slightly less than normal. Hardly a need for cash as just about everyone accepts credit cards and family and friends exchange via Venmo or Apple Pay.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I keep $100 in wallet in a just in case compartment, plus whatever feels right in the regular compartment. The regular compartment can vary from about $60 to $200.

But my preference of spending is credit card (gotta get them cash back points ).
Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #19

I usually withdraw $200 in $20 bills from an ATM about once every 2 weeks or so and slowly spend down the cash until the next withdrawal. Of course I use my credit card for most things, but I ocassionally use cash for small purchases under $10 (I don't like to clutter up my credit card statement with too many small purchases) and for those situations where credit cards are not accepted. When I run out of cash I sometimes go for a few days before replenishing, so to answer your question, anywhere from $0 to $200 depending on the day. Right now I have $80.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I typically less that $5 in my wallet. Currently $0
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote