How much CASH or liquid do you have?

If your referring to med's, no. :)
Speaking of liquid meds...we have more this afternoon than we did this morning. Took a trip to the liquor store to replenish whiskey, tequila and rum. Had to buy a bottle of Bailey's while there. It's liquid but a bit on the thick side...

As far as the financial side goes, we retired on Total Net Funds only (which are obviously liquid) with no debt. Total Net Worth is a different story...just makes me grin to look at it. :)

To quote unclemick...heh heh heh

Cash - enough for roughly 5 years , total liquid investments that I could sell on any given day- probably/maybe more than I'll need.
Not to brag but on top of that I have 11 cans of Miller Lite in the fridge.

Bad day - I'm down to 9 cans

Probably 1/2 year's living expenses in cash. Maybe less - We have been going through a lot of house and rental repairs of late.
Liquid: Mr. A's 100-bottle wine collection, which we consider a "liquid investment" - let me explain: His upper limit is $10.00 per bottle and has been for years - he researches the "best buys" in wine magazines, articles, etc.
As soon as we consume 15% of it, he replenishes. We just finished off the 2006 reds. There is a significant quality bump when inexpensive wine is kept in the dark for 6 years...thus, a "liquid investment" :LOL:

Amethyst

Six months cash. Only about a week's worth of liquid (beer).

The 'bond component' of our AA is in 'cash equivalents' rather than bonds. When our bonds matured we didn't buy more. At today's rates, I'd rather use CDs. Anyway, it's about 10 years of expenses.

Hmm... Aging inexpensive wine to improve its quality... Sounds like a worthwhile and rewarding pastime for a retiree.

Lemme see... I usually drink 2 bottles per week. To age them 6 years, that's 52*2*6 = 624 bottles. I can keep them up in the boonies home, where it's cooler.

Heh heh heh... So many things to do... Heh heh heh...

As far as cash/near cash is concerned about 8 years of living expenses ( I consider my short term bond fund as being near cash). As for liquid assets, my well is only 25 gpm which seems to be ample for our needs but my neighbors well is 100 gpm so I guess he is the wealthier one by far (although he's still working :confused:?).

We drink ~ 1 bottle per week (use box wine for sangria, etc.). Somehow it has evened out to 100 bottles of various vintages at any given time; naturally, we drink the oldest first, and are into our 2007's now. Some weeks we drink newer whites instead, so the reds "pile up" so to speak.

If the boonies house doesn't get too hot in summer, or has a root cellar, you've got a great stash spot...just make sure nothing shows where tramps, etc. might discover it. You will go into your carefully preserved "wine cellar" and find only empties! :eek:

Amethyst

Hmm... Aging inexpensive wine to improve its quality... Sounds like a worthwhile and rewarding pastime for a retiree.

Lemme see... I usually drink 2 bottles per week. To age them 6 years, that's 52*2*6 = 624 bottles. I can keep them up in the boonies home, where it's cooler.

Heh heh heh... So many things to do... Heh heh heh...

Boonies home is up at 7,000 ft. Cool in summer, and cold in winter. Even the closet under the stairs stays cool year-round. But 50 cases of wine take a bit of room. Imagine if my wife also drinks (she's a teetotaler). Maybe hide them in the basement, which is not too easily accessible through a trap door.

About tramps discovering the stash, oh man! I have been very discreet about my hideout place "up in the mountain", and will have to be more secretive, now that the whole world knows about the booze deal.

We intend to keep at least two years worth of living expenses in cash/near cash at all times once we retire. Currently, we have about three years.

As far as serious liquidity is concerned, I have built up a small collection of Bordeaux, Burgandy and Rhone wines kept in a bonded warehouse in the UK. I keep telling DW that they are an investment [-]in future drinking[/-] and help to diversify the portfolio.:angel:

Lake Austin flows by my land. So endless supply of H2O.

DW always wanted to keep at least 2.5 years of living expense in cash, and I always laughed at it. But seeing how much everybody here has readily on tap, I may agree on that.

Not sure about Lake Austin, but the LCRA has started enforcing permits on Lake Travis for drawing water from the lake. When all is said and done, it's no longer less expensive to utilize lake water for irrigation purposes. I have a bit of a problem with that, because I've given LCRA an easement to store water on my property (thus "lakefront") but I can't sip a little thru a straw for my lawn?

Sorry to stray off topic........

LakeTravis said:
Not sure about Lake Austin, but the LCRA has started enforcing permits on Lake Travis for drawing water from the lake. When all is said and done, it's no longer less expensive to utilize lake water for irrigation purposes. I have a bit of a problem with that, because I've given LCRA an easement to store water on my property (thus "lakefront") but I can't sip a little thru a straw for my lawn?

Sorry to stray off topic........

There'a a topic?

I've thought about starting a small wine "cellar", but would need a wine fridge. No basements around here.

I've thought about starting a small wine "cellar", but would need a wine fridge. No basements around here.

I store my wine in the hallway's coat closet, but with temperature oscillating between 70F and 75F most days, it is far from ideal for long term storage. A wine fridge would be nice, if I had room for it. For now I will have to drink it as fast as I can buy it.:)

FIREd said:
I store my wine in the hallway's coat closet, but with temperature oscillating between 70F and 75F most days, it is far from ideal for long term storage. A wine fridge would be nice, if I had room for it. For now I will have to drink it as fast as I can buy it.:)

Problem solved! I do have room for a small fridge, though.

I know that my boonies home basement temperature stays between 50F to 60F, with occasional excursions down to 45F and up as high as 65F. Not ideal, but better than what else I have. Is that good enough? How can I afford a wine fridge big enough for 50 cases?

I am having 2nd thought about this wine aging thing. My palate is not that fine, and I am no oenophile. In order to enjoy it and pat myself on the back for the effort, I must sample some of the wine now, and taste the rest of a batch later after 6 years to see if it improves. My memory is not that good. How will I be able to tell anything?

No, I think I will just continue to buy them and quaff them down.

Last edited:
I know that my boonies home basement temperature stays between 50F to 60F, with occasional excursions down to 45F and up as high as 65F. Not ideal, but better than what else I have. Is that good enough?
Good enough, IMO, and most US (red) wines aren't designed to age for more than 10 years anyway. Best to drink within 5 and at most 10 years after buying them.

About 130 bottles of wine here. Only half of it fits in my wine fridge :(.

A couple of cases of beer two - Um, that's a year's supply for us, LOL!

Our water comes from the Rio Grande River - about 1.5 miles away.

folks, sorry for the confusion. I was just talking about cash "liquid" and locke-up net worth not so much H2O and wine. :)

Eh, booze is just as important as cash, you know? Look how popular your thread has become.

Hey Audrey, you are not supposed to "age" beer as long as a year, are you? Better drink it up.

Last edited:
OK, so let's talk about the other liquid, H2O.

So, I do not have a well with 2,500 gal tank, and only about 40 gal of fresh water. Oh wait, darn it, I already drain the tank of my motorhome. So, only a few gallons of drinking water.

Can I count my 25,000-gal pool in the back? It's loaded with chlorine and a bit salty, but still, if in a bind one cannot be choosy, right?

And then, and then, do I get to count my 50 wine bottles? OK, OK, most are under $10/each, but they quench my thirst fine.

And the stronger stuff that is 80-proof? And how about the beers my loving wife stacks for me in the utility room?

Man, I feel pretty smug.

Does the 400 acre lake in front of my house count? :D

I haven't started the fall brewing season yet, so I think there is only about 20 gallons of beer in the house. Have been running down the wine, so maybe a half a case on hand. Given the ample amounts of chokecherries, mint, etc. I have had handy, I have made several homemade liqueurs as well.

Pretty much all my net worth is liquid (tradeable). That said, I keep about 2 years worth of living expenses in CDs, I bonds and the like. I also have buit up a 10+% portfolio position in cash as I have sold out of some stuff that got excessively valued. It will be redeployed as I see opportunities (like the slug of OLN I bought last week).

Back
Top Bottom