View Poll Results: Savings the day you retired (non-home equity):
$3 million + 6 8.96%
$2-3 million 8 11.94%
$1-2 million 23 34.33%
$500K to 1 million 23 34.33%
$250 to 500K 7 10.45%
Under $250K 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

How much did you have on hand at FIRE time?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

How much did you have on hand at FIRE time?

POLL is closed. Try the NEW and IMPROVED poll: "Part 2: Whatcha worth?"

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=6578.0

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How much did you have on hand at FIRE time?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As y'all know, I am still in harness, but I am projecting a number. Won't be far off.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

300k his and hers, duplex putting out 6k/yr.

age 49, 1993. That was then, This is now.

I was a really really cheap bastard back then.

heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

One quirky thing with your poll is that a number here retired with pensions and a number did not. Those with good pensions of course would need less saved. Those without pensions and without retiree healthcare benefits need more savings.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not part of the FIRE group so could you unlock the poll so everyone can see the results? Also I think everyone should try to project an inflation adjusted amount - say 3% a year since you retired to give us today's dollars.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Martha and wildcat make very pertinent points! I'll add that not distinguishing whether the number represents the portfolio of a couple or a single makes the validity of the numbers even more questionable.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Maybe capitalize pensions at 25X for inflation adjusted, 20X for non adjusted?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
One quirky thing with your poll is that a number here retired with pensions and a number did not. Those with good pensions of course would need less saved. Those without pensions and without retiree healthcare benefits need more savings.
Right. I guess this won't tell us how well everyone's needs are being met, just their savings habit. I have a suspicion that those with pensions on this board are pretty good savers, too.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alas, I'm still a working stiff, but my goal is $1M or age 45, whichever comes first! Of course, if I hit 45 and know there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to cut it, I'll force myself to keep working. Or ho myself out.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Maybe capitalize pensions at 25X for inflation adjusted, 20X for non adjusted?
don't think I can change the poll answer since I've already voted, but that is my situation exactly--good pension, so don't need savings as large.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You stuck me from the get-go. My home equity was a major component of my asset allocation strategy and investment plan. I hold a paid for home as a sort of "bond holding" and inflation protection component.

Excluding it makes no sense in my case. Its like saying "except for cash and bonds, how much do you have?'
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The other minor problem is that this doesnt adjust for inflation. Some people may have ER'ed 10-20 years ago when a half mil or a mil was a pretty good stash, and it appreciated to 1-2mil today. Comparing someone who ER'ed 20 years ago with a half mil and someone today at 2mil might be financially a real money wash.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
The other minor problem is that this doesnt adjust for inflation. Some people may have ER'ed 10-20 years ago when a half mil or a mil was a pretty good stash, and it appreciated to 1-2mil today. Comparing someone who ER'ed 20 years ago with a half mil and someone today at 2mil might be financially a real money wash.
I went to a handy dandy inflation calcuator (CPI version of inflation) and saw that $500,000 in 1985 is equal to $887,330 today. http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I went to a handy dandy inflation calcuator (CPI version of inflation) and saw that $500,000 in 1985 is equal to $887,330 today.* http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
Maybe formally; but look at housing, medical care and oil. The figures will be quite different. Also look at prevailing interest rates- in '85 that $500,000 could generate a fair amount of money. And looking back at least (for those of us on this board who do not believe in valuation differences) it turned out to be a pretty good time to make long term bond or equity investments.

Not so sure about today.

Ha
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yep, there are a lot of 'state' problems. I'm presuming Rich is trying to learn what the 'go point' was for people.

Might be a better question to ask 'what multiple of your annual expenses were you at' or 'what was your initial withdrawal rate', that normalizes a lot of things. I think the reasonably well accepted numbers of 25x and 4% end up to be about the same. Anything over 25x or under 4% is gravy?

But then you still have other problems...a retiree who went in january of 2000 with 3mil probably felt a lot better about 'the go' than someone who retired in 2003 with 1.5M....
Old 03-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Might be a better question to ask 'what multiple of your annual expenses were you at' or 'what was your initial withdrawal rate', that normalizes a lot of things.* I think the reasonably well accepted numbers of 25x and 4% end up to be about the same.* Anything over 25x or under 4% is gravy?
I agree.
The issue for me is not somebody elses dollar amount but what percentage of income that amount will allow. My retirement spending plan is complex and has many adjustment points over the next 20 years so my $$ amount has to fund a higher initial income than 20 years from now. That affects my investment strategy and my tax strategy.

While a nice fat $$$ amount would allow me to sleep at night (as if :) it is not the right way for me to look at it. Sure $3-4 MM would be enough but that is not going to happen before I ER again. Sort of this kind of money, most of us will have to work on a different figure that more closely represents our SWR for the income level we anticipate considering our other income streams (pension or none, COLA or not, paid medical or none, or inheritance or none.) All these affect the "number" each of use needs to ER. Just stating a number is ineffective in gauging how it relates to an income stream.