Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2007, 07:13 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm only down 1% over all.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe Harbour View Post
How do you all know this already? For many/most mutual funds you won't know until tomorrow...
I have a listing of my mutual funds in Yahoo. It updates in the early evening so if I'm inclined to know how my funds performed for the day, I just plug the amounts in my spreadsheet and I know my paper gains or losses within seconds.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #43

Yahoo! Finance

LOL. Now the market is back up...
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Down $144k today - REIT heavy at the moment, always 100% individual stocks. Looks like
I am winning so far, but no sweat. GE raised dividend 11% as expected, no change to
fundamentals. I have had a lot of $30k - $80k daily swings in the last few months, mostly
cancelling each other out. Since I live on the dividends, I see today as a non-event. Now
if GE / JNJ / PG / KIM / GGP / VNO / WRE start cutting dividends (or show signs of
doing so), then I will be concerned.
You da man, Cycling!! I think you were the winner. I look forward to the day I have six-figure swings on a regular basis.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
... I look forward to the day I have six-figure swings on a regular basis.

A glutton for punishment??!

I'm down about 1.1% for the day, but as pointed out by another poster, it's all on paper now and since I'm not drawing down yet, it's just a number. Now, if it keeps going down until 2011 (when I plan to start my withdrawals) I may be singing another song!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
And I dont even look when I know the market is down...some of you really enjoy being punished....
Well since I manage money for a living, it comes as a job requirement.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Also down about $140K. Back up a bunch today though.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #48

I don't know. I only look when I make money.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well since I manage money for a living, it comes as a job requirement.............
I don't manage money - but I do value portfolios of derivatives. In my world there's no such thing as a 'paper' loss.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, I was down tens of thousands of dollars which doesn't bother me at all. In a strange twist, I am most happy about the few hundred dollars I made by buying on the dip within 15 minutes of the market close yesterday and selling this morning on the dead-cat bounce.

In other words, a short-term gain of $300 is worth much more to me than a $60,000 loss. I must be insane.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I don't manage money - but I do value portfolios of derivatives. In my world there's no such thing as a 'paper' loss.
True enough. Still, I think that for calm people who invest in reasonably valued securities with no outdates, todays market price should be given some weight but usually a lot less than 100% weight. Otherwise, there is no way to invest in securities with market quotations other than momentum trading.

On this board we have seen posts which recognize the tension in this, and so the posters preferred unquoted securities such as private REITs to similar but publically traded issues.

As long as you are not borrowing against a position, there is no rational reason for preferring less liquidity and price transparency to more, other than self management of emotions. Liquidity can't subtract value.

ha
Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe Harbour View Post
How do you all know this already? For many/most mutual funds you won't know until tomorrow. Not that it matters - you just rode rode up 600 pts in S&P in the last 3 days - now you're back to only up 300 pts? If you could tell me where we'll be in a month I'd be interested. Today.....
I think all online quotes accessible by online or web-aware for mutual funds are ready by 7 pm eastern time. If you have a portfolio of ETFs, then you don't ever have to wait, the quotes are available instantly.
Some tools to use: Vanguard web site, TRowePrice web site (use the free Morningstar portfolio tracker there), Quicken, MSMoney, and the stock_quote plugin for Excel.

Bottom line: There is no need to wait until tomorrow, when you can know now.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Yesterday, I was down tens of thousands of dollars which doesn't bother me at all. In a strange twist, I am most happy about the few hundred dollars I made by buying on the dip within 15 minutes of the market close yesterday and selling this morning on the dead-cat bounce.

In other words, a short-term gain of $300 is worth much more to me than a $60,000 loss. I must be insane.
That is definitely a reversal of what logic and experients have led us to assume.

Ha
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is definitely a reversal of what logic and experients have led us to assume.
Definitely a utility maximizer.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
And I dont even look when I know the market is down...some of you really enjoy being punished....
The reason I "punish" myself by checking out my portfolio on big down days, is because I am trying to learn to get immune to market swings. I guess I see it as part of my apprenticeship as an investor. I am learning to keep cool and not panic when markets come down sharply. In the long run I believe that it will prevent me from making big mistakes, like liquidating my portfolio at the worst possible time. It also allows me to test the volatility inherent to my specific portfolio and to see how my portfolio handles in down markets. All valuable insights.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The reason I "punish" myself by checking out my portfolio on big down days, is because I am trying to learn to get immune to market swings. I guess I see it as part of my apprenticeship as an investor. I am learning to keep cool and not panic when markets come down sharply.
Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, and falls dead to the right]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.
Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
In the long run I believe that it will prevent me from making big mistakes, like liquidating my portfolio at the worst possible time. It also allows me to test the volatility inherent to my specific portfolio and to see how my portfolio handles in down markets. All valuable insights.
I've been thinking for a while (Danger, Will Robinson!) that looking at one's portfolio too often may result in a more conservative allocation than is necessary. After all, which of the following looks scarier:

or

So it seems like looking daily is "scarier" or "more volatile" than looking monthly over time. I'm not sure how folks typically measure volatility; I know in my MBA finance class we calculated a volatility measure -- covariance, maybe -- by comparing a stock's weekly close against the S&P. Anyway, the thought is that if you look less often, it looks less scary, so you could handle a portfolio allocated more heavily to stocks than you would if you looked daily. Since I doubt any of us are rebalancing or changing our FIRE date by that much on a daily basis,there's really no need to look daily and possibly some harm in doing so.

As for the OP's question, I was down about 2.5% yesterday, since that's what the S&P did. In dollar figures I don't know because I chose not to look. I went Christmas shopping instead.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I much prefer the more volatile plot because I see buying opportunities on every dip!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I much prefer the more volatile plot because I see buying opportunities on every dip!
Then you must LOVE 2007..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Then you must LOVE 2007..........
Yes I do. I have made some lucky market timing unbelievable rebalancing trades this year with a significant fraction of my net worth.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes I do. I have made some lucky market timing unbelievable rebalancing trades this year with a significant fraction of my net worth.
This isn't rebalancing, this is market timing. But if you are good at it, no reason not to indulge.

Ha