Join Early Retirement Today

How much do you budget for Medicare prems?
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How much do you budget for Medicare prems?

Working on my budget for the Medicare years and was wondering how much others budget for healthcare prems at age 65+. I just read a Motley Fool article from 2017 that showed average monthly Medicare premiums at $635. Does this seem about right? I realize there are other out of pocket costs but I'm interested in just premium costs for now.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are a lot of different options so it will vary. Part A is free. Part B has a low premium- $135 per month or something like that.Then there are actually Advantage plans that have $0 premiums. They basically "replace' traditional Medicare.

Then, instead if you choose, there are the Medigap ones that supplement Part A and B that can cost several hundred dollars per month depending on which one you choose. There are many options. Part G is a popular one. And don't forget Medicare Part D (for prescriptions) has to be factored in there with those.

I am not on it yet so I can't be more specific than this.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

I don't believe the average is $635 for one second. For most people, Medicare is about $135 with a pretty decent second insurance anywhere from $100 to $250. No way the average is $635.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

If your income is high, you will have to pay IRMAA adjustments on Parts B and D. Those adjustments can be quite large. Take a look at these tables.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0601101020

If you are not high income and don't have to pay IRMAA, premiums for supplemental policies do increase with age. Selecting a low cost provider helps, as the cost spread is high. I'm just starting out with Medicare, so I pay Part B, about $135, UHC Plan F, about $128, And the lowest cost Aetna Plan D, about $19. Total for premiums alone is $282.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I don't believe the average is $635 for one second. For most people, Medicare is about $135 with a pretty decent second insurance anywhere from $100 to $250. No way the average is $635.
+1

Maybe they are talking about coverage for a couple, rather than a single person. Otherwise I can't make any sense out of $635.

I am single and my Medicare Part B, plus federal retiree medical insurance (that supplements it), together add up to $380.68. But I have no deductible or co-pay; there are other choices with lower premiums that are available but ding you on the deductible and co-pay.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #6

Oops, my reading comprehension skills are not so good today. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for straightening me out. Now I'm feeling better about my 65+ budgeting numbers.

Below are the estimates from the article and the article is linked below:

ExpenseAverage Monthly Cost
Part B Premiums$109
Other Premiums$0
Inpatient Care$34
Outpatient Prescription Drugs$350
Dental Services$40
All Other Healthcare Services$102
Total Monthly Costs$635

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...care-bill.aspx
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From the linked article:

Quote:
... the average American with "original Medicare" (Parts A and B) can expect to pay a total of $7,620 out of pocket for healthcare expenses this year. However, that number doesn't tell the whole story. Some of this amount comes from Medicare premiums, and some includes various costs such as prescription medications.
So the $635 number includes other costs in addition to Medicare premiums.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #8

We have 3 years to Medicare. The monthly costs here differ. We have W2R who actually is on medicare (looks like a very nice plan), the ssa.gov website (should be believable) and Motley Fool. I've always wondered what the closest actual figures might be, but that could change considerably 3 years from now. Also depends on your income and medical needs, am I right?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Working on my budget for the Medicare years and was wondering how much others budget for healthcare prems at age 65+. I just read a Motley Fool article from 2017 that showed average monthly Medicare premiums at $635. Does this seem about right? I realize there are other out of pocket costs but I'm interested in just premium costs for now.

Whatever it takes. We go on Medicare in 2 1/2 years and whatever we pay will be substantially less than what we’re paying now!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #10

One more data point: my Medicare Part B ($135), Part D ($11), and Plan N Medigap policy ($88) totals $234/mo.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
Administrator

From other thread discussions on Medicare I have noticed some pretty big differences in MediGap premiums around the country. For example, REWahoo notes in his post the plan N premium is $88 where he lives in Texas. Here in Fl my MediGap G is $258. I looked at the N option but is was just a bit less expensive - $238 IIRC.

For that reason I would ignore “average” Medicare costs and look at costs for my zip code.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Us (each) per month: 10 years on
medicare

Part B - $134.00
Part D - $28 (me), $84 (DW)
Medigap (DW) Plan F (full) ~$200
Medigap (me) Plan G - $195

OOP Meds - ~$4,000 yearly for DW (she takes a lot of expensive drugs. Much of this added cost is for the donut hole.)

OOP Meds - $32 yearly for me (I am pretty healthy)

Other:

Dental/oter not covered by Medicare - Full OOP costs - If I told you how much we spent here in the last ten years, you would be shocked!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

For that reason I would ignore “average” Medicare costs and look at costs for my zip code.
^ What MichaelB said.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #14

Quote:
i'm 68, the wife is 67.

part b premium: ~$200
plan f supplement: ~$175
part d premium: ~$75

that's for each of us or ~$900 monthly total.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #15

I've been researching this since I go on Medicare this July.
Part B: $135
Medigap Plan G: $131
Plan D: Still researching, cheapest is $18 but can go up a lot from there.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i'm 68, the wife is 67.

part b premium: ~$200
plan f supplement: ~$175
part d premium: ~$75

that's for each of us or ~$900 monthly total.
That is outrageous for older people to have to pay, Just shameful in this country. Especially for people who really depend on their SS checks. A horror. Didn't we all pay into the system when we were working?
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
That is outrageous for older people to have to pay, Just shameful in this country. Especially for people who really depend on their SS checks. A horror. Didn't we all pay into the system when we were working?
It is a shame, but it would appear they are paying around ~$108 higher each month for Part B due to MAGI being over 170k.
So it goes back to the concept of should higher income "earners" in retirement pay more medicare taxes?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
Nothing is for free...........if older people don't pay, then the same folks will have to pay more while they are younger and working. Or ......pick another target to squeeze.........
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Nothing is for free...........if older people don't pay, then the same folks will have to pay more while they are younger and working. Or ......pick another target to squeeze.........

+1

Basically $139/mth to cover much of what you'll need between Part A&B. Huge menu of supplemental plans. I am less concerned about costs for senior versus the number of doctors declining to see new Medicare patients. There's a huge fight on levels of reimbursement levels. Many people have to search high and low to find another doctor if theirs retires or moves out of the area.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1

Maybe they are talking about coverage for a couple, rather than a single person. Otherwise I can't make any sense out of $635.

I am single and my Medicare Part B, plus federal retiree medical insurance (that supplements it), together add up to $380.68. But I have no deductible or co-pay; there are other choices with lower premiums that are available but ding you on the deductible and co-pay.
Quote:
Oops, my reading comprehension skills are not so good today. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for straightening me out. Now I'm feeling better about my 65+ budgeting numbers.

Below are the estimates from the article and the article is linked below:

ExpenseAverage Monthly Cost
Part B Premiums$109
Other Premiums$0
Inpatient Care$34
Outpatient Prescription Drugs$350
Dental Services$40
All Other Healthcare Services$102
Total Monthly Costs$635

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...care-bill.aspx
OK, if we are talking about ALL healthcare costs, then my average for the first five years of Medicare has been $755/month. A lot of that was due to dental implants, and would have been less had I chosen some other way to deal with those teeth. My implants are wonderful and well worth the money to me. But they are optional.

Also, AFAIK Medicare Part B premiums start at $135.50/month now, so perhaps the numbers in that article might be outdated.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote