Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, that is the expense ratio, but just to be clear, that has no impact on the 1.72% yield.

I think he was offering an alternative to FZDXX.
That is a nice alternative.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #82

Quote:
Yes, that is the expense ratio, but just to be clear, that has no impact on the 1.72% yield.

I think he was offering an alternative to FZDXX.
I compare the net yield to me on these choices.

Vanguard's various money market funds have much lower expense ratios. The index fund expenses across the more competitive brokers have dropped to Vanguard's level as the result of market pressure. It's time to apply the same market pressure to money market and settlement accounts.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

Vanguard's various money market funds have much lower expense ratios. The index fund expenses across the more competitive brokers have dropped to Vanguard's level as the result of market pressure. It's time to apply the same market pressure to money market and settlement accounts.
Net what? The quoted yield is already net of expenses.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not sure the expense matters much with MM funds.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Our paychecks (and soon my pension check) go into a non-interest checking account. What is not designated for the monthly bills and any other planned expenses for the month gets transferred to our savings accounts at online banks, which pay pretty good interest as MM interest goes these days. On average 1-2% of our cash is in the non-interest checking account at any time.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

$3952 per month in Chase very low interest checking. This account is for day to day bill paying. All other cash accounts are high interest bearing (Ally, etc).
Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
$3952 per month in Chase very low interest checking. This account is for day to day bill paying. All other cash accounts are high interest bearing (Ally, etc).

This was probably answered earlier. But I just saw this thread and have not read through it’s entirety. Why keep the Chase low interest account at all? Why not just pay the day to day bills out of Ally? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
This was probably answered earlier. But I just saw this thread and have not read through it’s entirety. Why keep the Chase low interest account at all? Why not just pay the day to day bills out of Ally? Thanks.
We have had the account for 25 years. Free premium checking because I am a military vet. DW has a debit card and we have three brick and mortar locations within a 3 mile radius. Plus, with the account is a free SD box.

The cash is a result of direct deposit SS payments and DW likes the convenience of the ATMs and having a check to write on occasion.

Plus, the cash goes out pretty quick each month. If it wasn't free then I would consider the move to Ally.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ally interest checking is still very low (0.1%) unless you keep $15K in it, and then you only get 0.6%. Better to keep excess in high yield savings.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #90

how much do you keep in no interest checking?

Ok. Thanks aja and Audrey. I’m in the process of switching my checking and savings to Ally. My plan is to ditch the current low/no interest CU I’ve used for years and just use Ally for all functions like bill pay and ATM.
Glad to hear there’s nothing you know of about Ally that might make this a bad idea.

Muir
Old 06-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #91

$25k in 1.5-2% accounts.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #92

Quote:
Net what? The quoted yield is already net of expenses.
Yes, and that's what I compare.

My complaint is about the high MM expense ratios at Fidelity. On the Federal Treasury Money Market Fund, the ER is 0.42 percent. The total yield is 1.39 percent plus 0.42 percent, or 1.81 percent. So 22 percent of the income goes to management. Similar numbers apply to the default settlement fund, SPAXX, which is a government money market fund, and FDRXX, government cash reserves at 0.37 percent ER.

Vanguard's VMFXX, their federal money market fund, charges 0.11 percent. Compound yield is 1.73 percent. Add in the 0.11 percent ER, and Vanguard is charging you 6 percent of the gross income.

A LOT of cash is held in these MM funds. Fidelity's funds are a very expensive way to hold cash. I have diverted most of the cash out of Fidelity's MM accounts into treasuries and CD's to avoid the ER and earn a better return.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok. Thanks aja and Audrey. I’m in the process of switching my checking and savings to Ally. My plan is to ditch the current low/no interest CU I’ve used for years and just use Ally for all functions like bill pay and ATM.
Glad to hear there’s nothing you know of about Ally that might make this a bad idea.

Muir
It's fine.

I don't mind no interest checking, because it's used for funds that are spent within a month, and otherwise balances are at a minimum.

And I'm not willing to jump through the debit card hoops some of the higher interest checking accounts require.

It's so quick and easy to transfer from high-yield savingsthat I don't worry about what the money in checking is earning

The catch is the 6 debits per statement cycle limit, but I tend to only have 2 at most, so lots of leeway for an extra transfer or two if needed.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I'm about ready to dip my toe in with purchasing t-bills as I just pulled funds from a matured CD. Going to try 13-week and 26 week and implement the auto roll feature at Fidelity.

Auction is tomorrow as far as I can tell, and Fidelity is allowing me to use a transfer that hasn't completed yet (they say it will complete Monday), because the issue date is actually Thursday.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #95

Quote:
I'm about ready to dip my toe in with purchasing t-bills as I just pulled funds from a matured CD. Going to try 13-month and 26 month and implement the auto roll feature at Fidelity.

Auction is tomorrow as far as I can tell, and Fidelity is allowing me to use a transfer that hasn't completed yet (they say it will complete Monday), because the issue date is actually Thursday.
I think you mean weeks, not months. I have some money in on both offerings at Fido. Interestingly, they are both reopened issues. I guess that means they did not sell enough initially.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you mean weeks, not months. I have some money in on both offerings at Fido. Interestingly, they are both reopened issues. I guess that means they did not sell enough initially.
Yes - was even thinking weeks. Not sure how months happened.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
about 35K in checking.
We keep 2 months expenses on average. Anything less requires too much tracking. I suppose that means we are rich by the standards here?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, same here. Typically 1-2 months expenses in low interest checking.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see what you mean now that I have discovered the Auction Query stuff and the announcements over at Treasury Direct. https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...20180531_2.pdf

I didn't know they would do that.

Well - it seems that it's offering additional securities. So not sure what to think.
Quote:
Treasury Reopenings
In a security reopening, the U.S. Treasury issues additional amounts of a previously issued security. The reopened security has the same maturity date and coupon interest rate or spread as the original security, but with a different issue date and usually a different purchase price.
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...reopenings.htm

OK - I see the 26 week is a reopened 52 week, and that the 13 week is a reopened 26 week. Don't know if that has any significance.