Join Early Retirement Today

How much do you pay for uninsured/underinsured drivers ?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much do you pay for uninsured/underinsured drivers ?

I live in Minnesota, which is one of around 12 states that has no fault auto insurance laws. I cleaned out my insurance folder a couple weeks ago.

In 1996, I paid $4.80 for uninsured & $4.20 ($9.00) for underinsured drivers every 6 months.

In 2019, it’s $14.10 & $23.60 ($37.70) every 6 months, a hike of 318.89%
If it's relevant, I'm 57, owned a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE in 1996, & currently, a 2012 Ford Escape limited.

Related: One of the 2 political parties in Minnesota is currently trying to enact a law that would allow non-US citizens to obtain drivers licenses.
They claim that group makes up a large percentage of the 15.00% or so who drive without insurance. If they’re successful, I'm almost certain the amount I have to pay every 6 months will drop significantly. LOL!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our Car insurance for a new 2018 BMW is $349 every 6 Months with $250k /$500k (for Umbrella) with a very low deductible of $250 for Comp. and Collision, Actual Cash Value.

Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured at $250k / $500k is $64.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Related: One of the 2 political parties in Minnesota is currently trying to enact a law that would allow non-US citizens to obtain drivers licenses.
They claim that group makes up a large percentage of the 15.00% or so who drive without insurance. If they’re successful, I'm almost certain the amount I have to pay every 6 months will drop significantly. LOL!
Here in IL , non-US citizens can obtain drivers license.

So now the uninsured who used to drive without a license, have a license.

They are still uninsured but can't have the car impounded if they are stopped by a cop, since they are licensed
Old 04-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

For uninsured/underinsured we pay a total of $164/year for a 2003 GMC 4WD pickup truck and a 2014 Honda Accord.

When we moved to WV we were told that this state is one of the leaders in the numbers of uninsured drivers since so many sign up for monthly insurance payments, get their certificate of insurance needed to register the car, and then fail to pay any more premiums. Rinse, lather, repeat the next year.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

While Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UMBI) works the same way in all states, Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UIMBI) does not. In some states, it is broader than in others. If the state has No-Fault, that will also affect UMBI and UIMBI.

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage (UMPD) also varies some from state to state, if it is even available in your state. Underinsured Motorists Property Damage (UIMPD) also varies and is less common than UMPD.

Where you live, sometimes within a state, and the limits you buy, also determine what you pay. If your car is the sole car on the policy versus one on a multi-car policy makes a difference. For UMPD, sometimes the type of car you own is a rating factor; sometimes there is a deductible which also matters. One thing which doesn't matter is how good a driver you are, because these coverages apply only if the other driver is at fault.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
While Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UMBI) works the same way in all states, Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UIMBI) does not. In some states, it is broader than in others. If the state has No-Fault, that will also affect UMBI and UIMBI.

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage (UMPD) also varies some from state to state, if it is even available in your state. Underinsured Motorists Property Damage (UIMPD) also varies and is less common than UMPD.

Where you live, sometimes within a state, and the limits you buy, also determine what you pay. If your car is the sole car on the policy versus one on a multi-car policy makes a difference. For UMPD, sometimes the type of car you own is a rating factor; sometimes there is a deductible which also matters. One thing which doesn't matter is how good a driver you are, because these coverages apply only if the other driver is at fault.
All fine and dandy, but you did not answer the OP's question.... Just Sayin'
Old 04-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
All fine and dandy, but you did not answer the OP's question.... Just Sayin'
My point is that trying to compare the price of UM and UIM coverages (especially UIM) is like comparing the cost of apples and ice cream.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They are still uninsured but can't have the car impounded if they are stopped by a cop, since they are licensed
It must be varied by state law. In MD, where I was a patrol officer for 18 years I impounded lots of cars for no insurance, it seemed about one or two a year. I took the license plate off the car and had it impounded on the spot. (The tags went back to MVA the same or next day.) To get the car back, the owner (not the driver) had to show up at the impoundment lot with a valid registration and plates, and to get that they had to show proof of insurance. And no, you couldn't have your buddy who owned a tow truck tow it to your house to get out of the storage fees so you could steal a license plate and drive it some more.

A lot of them whined "But I can't afford insurance!" to which my response was "Then you can't afford a car."
Old 04-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

In 2018, my uninsured motor vehicle coverage cost $194 for a 2018 Audi A4 (the same as for my previous 2007 BMW 328i). And my coverage is much less than for ShokWaveRider. Maybe it is time to review my car insurance coverage. I use State Farm which I realize is more expensive than most other insurance companies.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #10

If you have an umbrella will it cover you for Underinsured Motorists?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:

I have a nephew by marriage who is an ICE agent in NY.(no snarky comments)
He says Illinois plates on a car in NY are a prime reason to be pulled over for an immigration check.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I live in Minnesota, which is one of around 12 states that has no fault auto insurance laws. I cleaned out my insurance folder a couple weeks ago.

In 1996, I paid $4.80 for uninsured & $4.20 ($9.00) for underinsured drivers every 6 months.

In 2019, it’s $14.10 & $23.60 ($37.70) every 6 months, a hike of 318.89%
If it's relevant, I'm 57, owned a 1992 Nissan Maxima SE in 1996, & currently, a 2012 Ford Escape limited.

You might need to correct the highlighted part a tad. Seemed confusing to me so I did a little googling.

Legal non-citizens can get a drivers license or at least be legal to drive with insurance requirements. Its illegal immigrants cannot get the DL at present.
Apparently has been an issue since around 2010, based upon the dates of the articles I saw.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Uninsured 500K/person and occurrence= 7.50 yr
Underinsured 500k/person and occurrence= 27.00 yr

mandatory coverage that takes over after the 500K is reached and can provide lifetime income from accident is $194 per year.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 AM   #14
gone traveling

Much needed insurance especially in FL. A number of billboards marketing from lawyers advertising how much 6 figure $$ they got for their clients for their injuries.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suspect that is true in most states. Or are we avoiding using that non PC term - 'Illegal alien'.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:

Another way one can contribute their hard earned $$ into our growing economy. Driving around town spending their paycheck.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I was not a US Citizen for 20 years before I become one and I had a DL all that time... Just Sayin'
Old 04-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I suspect that is true in most states. Or are we avoiding using that non PC term - 'Illegal alien'.
No state in the US restricts DL's to citizens only. OP, and others, might be surprised to learn that lack of US citizenship doesn't mean one is here illegally. "Non-citizen" includes a wide group of people, including legal/documented immigrants, green card holders, workers and students on visa's, tax-payers, forum members, and vacationers.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

California resident here. Uninsured motorist coverage annual $389 for two vehicles. Yes, that's just for UM coverage.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
You might need to correct the highlighted part a tad. Seemed confusing to me so I did a little googling.
Done:
One of the 2 political parties in Minnesota is currently trying to enact a law that would allow illegal aliens to obtain drivers licenses.