Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About $48/month. Reasons:

(a) Both SUVs gets mediocre gas mileage.
(b) Distance to stores isn't exactly close here in Central Texas.
(c) I've had several trips to feed someone's cats while they were on travel - I may be doing that again this weekend.
statsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #22

3 cars, four drivers in the house. Older son goes to work daily. Younger son visits girlfriend about half the days (she comes to our house the other days.) I drive to the beach to walk the dog on weekdays. We are spending about $80/month

Before they reopened the beach for walking, and older son wasn't working, and we still had a full ban on in person visits between younger son and girlfriend we went 2 months with NO fillups.

Before someone lectures about younger son and girlfriend we have protocols in place. She (and we) wear masks when she is in the same room. We have the whole house fan on when she's here. Same deal at her house. (Son and girlfriend can be mask free in the same room... they are virtual household members to each other. Her family is as diligent about masks, social distance, etc. We did keep them physically separated for 2 months at the beginning of the shutdowns.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, we (Hawaii) just locked down, again, at 12:01 this morning. So the $20 I spent on gas since February will probably last through Christmas! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #24

Used to spend about $70/mo and now it's about $15/mo. A huge difference.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #25

I spent $100 last week on gasoline.

And that was just for my pontoon boat and Waverunner.

The 12 year old grandson and I stayed at the lake 3 nights, and he just wants to ride, ride, ride.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an older minivan and a new hybrid SUV for 2 drivers. I love to drive the hybrid SUV whenever I need to drive somewhere. Other than one weekend trip out of town, we average less than $10 per month, driving mostly to community swimming pool, Costco or Kroger.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

DW & I spent $101/mo on gasoline in 2019. Apr-Jul 2020 we've average $53/mo. Sounds like we go out more than many here, though we wear masks, maintain distance, etc.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #28

With 3 cars, year to date we are down 26% compared to he same period last year. Spending this year has averaged $98/month. The biggest factor is my golfing. The course I have joined and play at least 3 times/week is a 40 mile round trip drive.

During the 3 "high lockdown" months of March-May in our area, our gas spending was down by 2/3 compared to 2019, to $48/month.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #29

Man! Either gas is a WHOLE lot cheaper than where I am in California, or many here need to question the need to own their own car. I have a new Subaru Ascent bought in November with payments of $750 a month (zero interest 48 months) and insurance about $120 a month. If I only spent $10 to $30 a month, that would be roughly 3 to 10 gallons a month at current local prices. 23mpg, I'd be driving 70 to 230 miles a month. Total cost to drive per mile would be between $3.82 and $12.57 per mile.

I actually drive about 2,000 miles a month. Price per mile works out to be about 56 cents a mile.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
EVs. No gas. No Oil. I think I filled the can for the lawn mower in the spring if that counts. And our solar array has covered 100% of the electric for both cars (average 130 miles per weekday since march).
I've spent zero on a solar array or EV's & my gas is around $30/mo.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Well, we (Hawaii) just locked down, again, at 12:01 this morning.
For what?
Old 08-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Man! Either gas is a WHOLE lot cheaper than where I am in California,
I'm pretty sure it is a lot cheaper, ex HI.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Man! Either gas is a WHOLE lot cheaper than where I am in California, or many here need to question the need to own their own car. I have a new Subaru Ascent bought in November with payments of $750 a month (zero interest 48 months) and insurance about $120 a month. If I only spent $10 to $30 a month, that would be roughly 3 to 10 gallons a month at current local prices. 23mpg, I'd be driving 70 to 230 miles a month. Total cost to drive per mile would be between $3.82 and $12.57 per mile.

I actually drive about 2,000 miles a month. Price per mile works out to be about 56 cents a mile.

I am a Costco member and that is where I fill up. The last time I went to the local Costco the cost was $2.05 a gallon. The lowest price during our lockdown was $1.59/gallon. Our cars get, respectively, 27 (SUV), 31 (Sedan), and 33 (compact) miles per gallon. Very little stop and go/heavy traffic in our area.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Right now our Costco is $2.16/gal for Regular. Other gas stations near me are $2.29 -> $2.39

Gas used to be below $2 a couple of months ago.

I barely drive these days as nowhere to go.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:42 AM   #35

We spent $750 in 2019 from April through August on gas. This year over the same period we have spent $250, so two thirds less.

In fact all of our spending is way down. We've decided to spend some of the savings on a whole house standby generator which should come in around $10K.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:01 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
In theory perhaps but not in my experience. My mom's 2007 CR-V sits in a garage for 6 months or more each winter and starts and runs fine each spring without any additive/stabilizer at all. I've been doing that for 15 years and never a problem.

All I do is to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery in the fall and reconnect it in the spring. Starts right up. Let it idle for 20 minutes or so to charge up the battery while I'm topping off the air in the tires with my little 12v air compressor.

Ditto for my truck that now sits in the garage for 6 months.
+1
I believe much of these historic gasoline problems are long gone now due to the usage of much cleaner gasoline. In the old days, "Regular" gasoline had lots of reactive sulfides and dienes present which have now been mostly removed. However, I'm not sure if the old "Conventional Gasoline" is still allowed in non-metro areas like Grand Junction, so I still use "Premium" for the mowers and weed whip, etc which will have gasoline sitting in them throughout the winter months.

I'm also not sure about the water in gasoline problems that are routinely discussed with sitting vehicles for long periods. For example, with ethanol now present in most gasolines, getting a separate water phase in your gas tank seems very unlikely. The fact that HEET (an alcohol) is still available and sold when the gasoline already has 10% ethanol within it simply amazes me.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #37

I cannot believe how low Petrol prices are in NE FLA. I paid $1.82 (Reg.) yesterday to top up my tank in anticipation of Laura damaging refineries and giving the oil industry an excuse to put prices up.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I don't track it but with monthly trips to my beach condo(185 miles 1 way) it's more than many here. I paid $1.69/gl yesterday.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

With retirement, the 2nd car is hardly used at all. Will probably sell it next year. So gas for that jalopy died off to almost zilch. The other car is driven about 10 miles each day.

Spending on auto fuel is down about 75% deom a year ago.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My gasoline bills are down a lot from pre Covid but I'm still spending about $300 a month. It breaks down to ~$50 on diesel, ~$150 on regular gas and ~$100 on premium. I hope to get back to normal travel later this year which should bump me up to $500+ a month at current prices.