Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I'm also not sure about the water in gasoline problems that are routinely discussed with sitting vehicles for long periods. For example, with ethanol now present in most gasolines, getting a separate water phase in your gas tank seems very unlikely. The fact that HEET (an alcohol) is still available and sold when the gasoline already has 10% ethanol within it simply amazes me.
You reminded me, how I used to use HEET, then being cheap I bought a gallon of methanol and would refill my HEET bottles to carry in the trunk.

Last year I threw out a couple of HEET bottles I found in the garage.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

It's easy for me to get numbers from Quicken.

2020 gasoline cost YTD: $198 or $25/month

2019: $719, including gas for a 6-week auto trip around Spain

2018: $4016, including gas for a 10,000-mile RV trip to Alaska
Old 08-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Averaging about $110/month since March. Was about $200/month before March.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #44

USAA just notified me of another special dividend on my auto insurance, the third one since April. Adding them all up comes to just over 14% of my six-month premium, so fairly significant. I think that says everything about how people have been driving much less this year.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Averaging $18 a month since March. But that including putting gas in March in our second car (Ford Explorer that we rarely drive. We bought gas for it only 1 time last year. Since we drive it so little we actually sold it and went to 1 car (Volvo XC60) a few weeks ago. The Explorer had almost a full tank when we sold it.

Even though we are both retired in 2019 we still average $76 a month. Now, we just rarely go out except when we need something or just an occasional drive since we don't go anywhere.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #46

~$125 a month. Gas is one thing I don't worry about spending money on. I Know the day will come when I can't go and do the things I do now, so I go and blow money on gas.

There was a time I didn't spend much on fuel but now I really don't care what it costs I buy gas.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
~$125 a month. Gas is one thing I don't worry about spending money on. I Know the day will come when I can't go and do the things I do now, so I go and blow money on gas.

There was a time I didn't spend much on fuel but now I really don't care what it costs I buy gas.

The theme of the thread is how little people spend on gasoline these days due to Covid. Indeed, I have no place to go, while my original plan for this summer was to spend many $K for a long RV trip to the Great Lakes region.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

2019 spent $75.19 per month.
2020 averaging $73.66 per month.

2020 average would be much lower except that we were gone traveling in February which brings this years average up. In fact I haven't bought any gas yet this month.
Oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
USAA just notified me of another special dividend on my auto insurance, the third one since April. Adding them all up comes to just over 14% of my six-month premium, so fairly significant. I think that says everything about how people have been driving much less this year.
I finally got the dividend on my State Farm auto insurance policy. They had announced it months ago, just after I paid my last premium. But in addition to that, my regular premium dropped 14%. Taken together, my next 6-month premium dropped by 25%.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:49 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
For what?
Uh.., Covid 19. We've had a sudden increase following opening up.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:07 AM   #51

Today's gasoline can indeed separate it's alcohol content from the rest of the formula when sitting around and exposed to the air. I prove it every time to folks by putting a bit of gas into a clear glass and letting it sit for 30 minutes, after which, I hold the glass up and look at the bottom. There will be several beads of raw alcohol rolling around the bottom of the glass. Just the little moisture in the air, 25% humidity, has combined with the alcohol and precipitated it out of solution. Add a couple drops of water to a gallon of gas and the whole 10% of alcohol in today's fuel will pull out and sit down there at the bottom of the container.

The good thing is that all cars today are required for their fuel systems to be air tight. You might notice when opening the cap, that there's a hiss as pressure is released. Excess pressure is routed from the tank to the engine for burning through a charcoal canister as part of the emissions system. SMOG checks test the cap for it's ability to still hold it's seal and so is the tank. At least here in California they are. Fuel stabilizer additives help emulsify fuel so the gas and alcohol won't separate.

As for the reason there's alcohol in gas to begin with, it isn't a hydro carbon so it doesn't produce the pollution fossil fuels do. One way to 'cheat' a smog test is to run the fuel down very low, last 2 or 3 gallons, then pour in some HEET from the auto parts store. Yellow label, the red label isn't the same stuff, maybe 3 or 4 bottles worth. The emissions will read much lower during test than straight up gasoline. Not that I"VE ever done that, but older cars having trouble to pass SMOG have figured this out. Maybe that's why HEET is still sold; there's a market for it.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #52

We spent about $500 from Aug. 1 to 15 or so. One of our vehicles is an RV getting 10mpg, and we're traveling. Still, we've shifted our travel style specifically due to this number being *way* out of hand.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #53

Very little a tank seems to last me forever. I am guessing at least a month.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
EVs. No gas. No Oil. I think I filled the can for the lawn mower in the spring if that counts. And our solar array has covered 100% of the electric for both cars (average 130 miles per weekday since march).
You need a Ryobi lawnmower. Mine works great for a quarter acre lot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

$40 last month, a bit less than half of what we usually spend. We're going out less, but still have errands and try to plan day trips to outdoor spots like parks, lakes and gardens, plus we've had some get togethers with social distancing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=wrigley;2476624]Just throwing out my 2 cents. Leaving partially full tanks of gas sit in your car for long periods of time can potentially cause problems down the road. Moisture can build up in your gas tank and cause serious fuel system issues. It's best you research a fuel additive/stabilizer to add to your fuel tank and use it.

We citizens here in the Midwestern United States were taught that from a very early age.
Great tip!
Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Our main auto is a Kia Niro Hybrid. We filled it on April 13, and we have just under a half tank left. Gas was low in April, so we probably filled it for $30.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #58
gone traveling

Since selling my 2004 Mustang GT with 4.10 gears (15-17 mpg), and buying a 2013 V6 Mustang (26-28 mpg), I have cut my costs down to about $20 a week. My wife does engineering site work for a new home builder. She has been busier than a one armed paper hanger in a storm traveling mega miles in Jeep, but she has a company gas card, new housing starts are going wild (even with a huge lumber surcharges).
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #59

In July we spent about $35. We travel to parks daily to get our hiking in. Didnít track expenses the last part of August. We took off in the camper and our truck has a 36 gallon capacity; so Iíd estimate about $200 in August, without checking our credit card statement. Didnít travel too far. Now that the seasonal campers are done for the year, weíll do more camping and travelling. Easy enough to social distance, and do curbside pickups from Walmart for food and needs.
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

A ton didn't on fuel, we took a 2500 mile road trip to Colorado hauling an offroad ATV at maybe 13 MPG. Then we rode it for several days out there. I took a 1000 mile road trip to the gulf to fish pulling a boat. Multiple fishing trips locally again trailering our boat. Tennis matches all over the state almost every week. Business trips across the state. I'd say just like normal.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote