Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weĺl be long on cash, but the reasoning is this:
The time for BTD travel is when we are younger. I want to have that money ready to go.
We are also looking hard at a new home/relocating at retirement. It will probably be a self build, and financing raw land is often difficult.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #22

Any cash I have is just part of my 50/50 AA. My 401k holds a large majority of my fixed income allocation in the form of a stable value fund paying 2.2%. Our Roth accounts are 100% equity. So I use my taxable account to maintain the 50/50 AA. I have a giant severance package coming, so I will invest that in my taxable account to maintain the 50/50 AA. That will leave me with about $300k in cash that I can invest in bonds or just leave as cash. It's about 3 years of expenses, so I'll probably just leave it as cash.

I think it's important to decide if your cash is part of your overall AA. I think it is.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

The definition of cash makes answers different. Many people would consider fixed income as a part of asset allocation.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If it's extra cash that you set aside to spend in the first few years of retirement, then it's not part of your long term retirement investments. You aren't going to rebalance it as you would an AA, or withdraw X% a year from it. It's there to spend right away.

If it's an extra cash buffer that you are going to leave in place indefinitely, then it makes sense to consider it part of your AA as it will figure into your rebalancing and annual withdrawal.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #25

In 2020, I went on one last vacation, and was ready to ER when we returned in March. I had three year's cash equivalent, but the remainder of our investments had just lost 30%, making the purchase of a new home unachievable. Now that we've bought our new place, deferred ER about 10 months, and the markets have recovered, we once again have about 3 years of living expenses in money market and bond funds. Helps me sleep at night, and helps me have the confidence to give notice, and actually RE, in 5 days. Without this year's spending equivalent in cash, I'd be hesitant to pull the plug, given the relatively high valuations, and recent volatility.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:22 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I just retired 1-Feb-21

We have 2 years of Cash sat in the Bank and Gun Safe for FAT FIRE expenses and can easy go to 3 years if need be.

The "Sleep Good At Night Factor" is real.

gamboolman...
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't have any excess cash. What I had was over $150k worth of stock in a brokerage account that I would sell as needed. I also had over $70k in a 401k retirement account that I could access early using the "rule of 55". I prefer to keep my money working for me as much as possible so I don't keep much cash. I did recently set up monthly withdrawals from my 401k so I don't have to sell the individual stock because I'm getting a better rate of return on it. I was comfortable with that. I could live over 15 years on those 2 accounts alone. The rest of my accounts will pretty much grow untouched for many years, barring any unforeseen circumstances of course.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not retired yet, and I wrestle with how much cash to have when I walk away in 2 yrs.
When people say they have x # of years of cash, do you calculate that as necessary living expenses, not including planned discretionary spending or total planned spending? To me cash would be cash and not part of my AA nor invested win anything other than money market , otherwise it's part of your AA. I have a large cash value life insurance amount that I can always tap for needed expenses , but is that cash? I personally don't love the lack of growth concept and since I am an income investor it bothers me to not have that money working and creating income. Argghhh ...driving myself crazy again.
Flyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:54 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
I just retired 1-Feb-21

We have 2 years of Cash sat in the Bank and Gun Safe for FAT FIRE expenses and can easy go to 3 years if need be.

The "Sleep Good At Night Factor" is real.

gamboolman...
BTW - Congrats on your FAT FIRE!
Flyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:07 AM   #30

Looking back over the last 5 years it looks like we keep about 100k in cash outside of retirement accounts. I keep 2 sets of books. One for total assets and one for core retirement. The core retirement includes tIRA's, Roth's and one of our HSA's for long term growth. DW manages (spends) out of the first category and I manage (cling to) the core retirement accounts.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #31

I don’t understand why people do not consider cash as part of their asset allocation.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #32

We had 5 or 6 years of expenses in short term bonds and cash. I believe SORR should be considered and mitigated where possible.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The whole nine yards... (less physical assets) No equities, no bonds... To be fair, several million was tied up in IRA's and 401'ks but that too was in cash or fixed income.

From my POV, I probably would not have retired when I did if I had to keep money in the market to meet my retirement numbers.... These days I do play the market but not with any money I need to maintain my retirement lifestyle.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #34

We have enough in stable value and CDís to last until SS and pensions arrive in our mid sixties. Our invested portfolio is 100% stocks and is purely discretionary/blow the dough money.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:04 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have about 5 years worth of annual expenses in cash to make up for an otherwise stock heavy portfolio.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
Without this year's spending equivalent in cash, I'd be hesitant to pull the plug, given the relatively high valuations, and recent volatility.
I feel like 12 months of spending in cash is the bare minimum I'd be comfortable with entering retirement. Those first few months adjusting to no paycheck for the first time ever I'd want a nice pile of cash to draw from just in case other pieces of the plan don't play out exactly as anticipated.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I donít understand why people do not consider cash as part of their asset allocation.

Neither do I. The only exclusion for me is current yr expenses.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We originally had about $200K in cash (2 years worth of expected expenses in retirement (~$100K per year)) when we initially retired in 2017.
As time has worn on however I have reduced that to a floating value between $50K to $100K, depending upon what we have going on etc. and haven't had any issues occur.
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I donít understand why people do not consider cash as part of their asset allocation.
Me neither. If you have a substantial amount in cash (not just a little emergency stash), it is part of your AA. You can't really say you're 80/20 or 60/40 when 5 or 10% of your money is actually in cash.

Right now, we're about 67/23/10.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have always maintained a lot of cash equivalents as part of my AA, because I own very little bonds. These include stable value funds, I bonds, and very short-term T bills.

At the start of my retirement, the 25% cash AA could last me 10 years. With the portfolio growth, my current 30% cash AA can sustain my current WR for 30 years (ignoring inflation). And I still have SS to claim at the age of 70.

PS. Much of the cash above is in before-tax accounts, so I cannot withdraw to buy another home on a whim without serious tax liabilities. However, I have enough after-tax cash to last quite a few years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote