Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2023, 01:20 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycling View Post
After reading through these replies, I need to do sit down and rethink what I’m doing. I keep way too much cash in my checking, HYSA and in my ‘wallet’. Thank you all for sharing and enlightening me. I know I shouldn’t ‘hoard’ cash just in case.
Remember, it's only "too much" if YOU think it's too much. I have "too much" in checking - and I like it that way, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2023, 01:35 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Keep about $1000 in the house for pocket money
Keep about $25K in checking, saving accounts for operating capital
Keep about $35K in MM accounts for non-routine discretionary purchases/emergencies
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:16 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep about 12 months in cash at all times.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:48 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

The thread serves as a reminder how many different interpretations of “liquid cash” we have among the members here.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:45 PM   #85

Thanks for the comments, certainly a wide range of answers. For me, I have a pension that we easily live off so I was just wondering how much cash made sense to have easily available for emergencies. Sort of lending towards $10k at this point.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:57 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Just got $400 in cash today from the bank because my pocket cash was getting low. I don't like to carry less than about $500. No particular reason, but I always want some cash with me. A habit from my youth when I finally had enough money to have some cash on hand.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:17 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About $5k poker money at home, $20k in safe deposit for Vegas working capital.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:42 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just got $400 in cash today from the bank because my pocket cash was getting low. I don't like to carry less than about $500. No particular reason, but I always want some cash with me. A habit from my youth when I finally had enough money to have some cash on hand.
Funny how this differs with people. I would never have $500 in cash on me. I would feel uncomfortable. The most I ever have on me is $20 - $50, and it's usually only just a few $5 bills for tips. CC for everything I need to purchase.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:25 AM   #89

After a scan of this thread, I find no reports of lumpy mattress's!
Or even a small pillow.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:30 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

I have about $130k in mm funds. I delve into it whenever my annuity and ss don't cover my bills. My idea was to use cash so that I didn't have to withdraw from equities, especially in a down market. Or to use for a new property down payment.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:33 AM   #91

We used to keep about 2k in bug out bag but used that on a vacation and have yet to replenish most of it. Probably due that slowly in March. Except for barber and hairdresser about only cash we use is for dancing and soft drinks there of maybe $100-200 a month in pocket money. Most of those optional dancing expenses are prepaid annually. Pretty much everything else is on a credit card.

Had way too much in redundant emergency funds at brokers paying squat for interest.
Moved almost all of that to CD ladders. Now payouts every month for next 3 years and basically quarterly out longer than most here might consider prudent.

In terms of basic recurring expenses like phone, electricity, HOA (home owner association assessment) I assume you have grace periods before any shut downs or evictions occur. And if we can't touch savings, investments, from any of various institutions, I know a whole lot of people are also defaulting.

That would sort of be like what happened in US when the south lost the civil war I suspect. Scarlett O'Hara and Brett Buttler might have to be our guides. Well fiddle e dee! : )
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:35 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Pillows and mattress are not included.

In the local bank, for bill baying, we keep the amount of one month's average bills and add 50%. If our monthly is $5,000, then I'd be worried if I saw anything less than $8,000 or so.

In practical terms, when the balance stays at 2X what we need monthly, then I move money to Discover or Schwab.

Our income consists of SSA checks and a pension going into the checking account. So that should be considered in the analysis.

CD's and such are not included for short-term analysis, in our book.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:41 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The thread serves as a reminder how many different interpretations of “liquid cash” we have among the members here.
Yes, I've noticed that. I use different terminolgy in my head.

There's cash in the house and carried in my wallet. That is a very low number (I think. Lol). That earns 0%.

There's cash at the local bank. That earns .5%

There's cash in money market. That earns 3-5%.

And so on.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:46 AM   #94

We keep a month's expenses @ home. Been laddering CD's & I-bonds / treasuries for a year or so... Probably too much, but about 2-3 years' expenses. Probably $10k for monthly payments and life... CC for emergencies with a 30 day float that allows for moving funds around.

Getting 4.7% on 2 yr ladders & 4.75% on 5 yr CDs (callable).
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:01 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Credit cards have little utility when internet and cellular connections are down due to natural (or man-made) disaster. Surprised as a Floridian you wouldn't keep a little cash on hand.
We lived in New Orleans during Katrina and now in Florida. Our hurricane prep checklist includes filling up gas tank and going to ATM. We have a week to panic and prepare!
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:56 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Funny how this differs with people. I would never have $500 in cash on me. I would feel uncomfortable. The most I ever have on me is $20 - $50, and it's usually only just a few $5 bills for tips. CC for everything I need to purchase.
But at the same time most people think nothing of having a $1,000. iPhone sticking out of their back pocket!
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 09:59 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^
Or wearing a 6 to 8k+ Rolex on their wrist. Mine is usually in the safe but I'm always uncomfortable when I do wear it.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
But at the same time most people think nothing of having a $1,000. iPhone sticking out of their back pocket!
I am happy to report I have never owned an iPhone. Especially a 1000 one. Most I have spent on a phone is 300 or 400.

Rolex...pfft. Nothing to prove here. Although I do own quite a few cheaper watches that if added all together are around $1000. I got sick of changing the batteries so most of them are sitting in a watch case dead.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

My present phone cost $149.

I don't even wear a watch now that I'm retired! If the youngsters can go without one, then so can I.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:45 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I am happy to report I have never owned an iPhone. Especially a 1000 one. Most I have spent on a phone is 300 or 400.

Rolex...pfft. Nothing to prove here. Although I do own quite a few cheaper watches that if added all together are around $1000. I got sick of changing the batteries so most of them are sitting in a watch case dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My present phone cost $149.

I don't even wear a watch now that I'm retired! If the youngsters can go without one, then so can I.
Heh, heh, my "smart phone" IS my watch and cost $89. We are all so different in what we value. Vive la différence.