Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I get my pension and SS I can see myself reducing the amount of cash I hold to pay daily bills and as a buffer against market down turns. But until that happens I want to have enough cash to live for 2 or 3 years so that I'm not forced to sell and at a bad time.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
When I get my pension and SS I can see myself reducing the amount of cash I hold to pay daily bills and as a buffer against market down turns. But until that happens I want to have enough cash to live for 2 or 3 years so that I'm not forced to sell and at a bad time.
Makes sense. Would you reduce your cash holdings once you get within 2/3 years of pension/SS receipt?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Makes sense. Would you reduce your cash holdings once you get within 2/3 years of pension/SS receipt?
I suppose so. I'm still working and I have 2 months living expenses in the bank and another 2 months in a MM and I'm happy with that as I know there's a pay check coming in. If I ER I'll want that 2 to 3 year cash cushion, but once SS and the pension start and I have a regular check coming in I can see myself reducing the amount of cash I hold.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have about 14 year's worth of living expenses in cash/cd/bonds.

I have a large equity allocation (50%) to one stock, and I use the cash as security if the market stays depressed for that stock for a long period of time, keeping me from selling some to fund expenses/replenish cash.

Rental real estate provides about 35% of my living expenses.

SWR is 2% if rentals are at 90% occupancy.

Not the typical portfolio, obviously.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I have about 14 year's worth of living expenses in cash/cd/bonds.

I have a large equity allocation (50%) to one stock, and I use the cash as security if the market stays depressed for that stock for a long period of time, keeping me from selling some to fund expenses/replenish cash.

Rental real estate provides about 35% of my living expenses.

SWR is 2% if rentals are at 90% occupancy.

Not the typical portfolio, obviously.
I have rental property that will cover half my expenses after the mortgage is paid off, so that reduces the actual amount of cash I need to cover 2 or 3 years of expenses. I'm 50/50 allocated and the bond terms are around 5 to 7 years. Once I ER I'll probably do 1 year of cash in a bank account, one year in a MM and one year in a short duration bond and top up the bank account with rent, distributions, interest and capital gains from after tax accounts. Right now I have no plans to use CDs and the returns aren't worth locking up money for 5 years....but if interest rates go up they might become an option.