Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your net worth does your home represent?
Less than 5%. 16 5.48%
Equal to or more than 5%, but less than 10%. 66 22.60%
Equal to or more than 10% but less than 20%. 104 35.62%
Equal to or more than 20% but less than 30%. 55 18.84%
Equal to or more than 30% but less than 40% 18 6.16%
Equal to or more than 40% but less than 50%. 9 3.08%
Equal to or more than 50%. 6 2.05%
"Other" - - I don't have a main home, I rent, or I just need an "other" category for whatever reasons. 18 6.16%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
So I'm guessing you'd rather live where you don't have to pay $1.8M for a former hoarder house?

Hoarder House In Palo Alto Is On the Market for $1.8 Million
Reminds me of a house for sale in Pasadena CA during the bubble that was made out of a water tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We used to live in Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) back in the mid-1980s. Loved the place (back then). Very crowded now that it's the home of Amgen.
We lived in Newbury Park back in the 80s. We really enjoyed it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Your story about buying land fascinates me. Would really like to hear more. As we live in a farming area, many of the residents of my community (CCRC) farmed right up to retirement... and now seem happy and secure, still owning and leasing their land. As an aside to this, over the years they tell me that they invested in more land, which left them relatively untouched through changes in the stock market.
I'm not sure what you want to know. I love dirt. We purchased the 94 acres in a remote location in Tennessee where dirt is relatively cheap - but not as productive as somewhere like Iowa. But I'd much rather live in Tennessee. Weather is nice, no state income tax and I love the rolling green hills. I plan to raise cattle so I think it will work out well. We are already talking about buying more land (attached to ours), but first we have to get the land we already own under control - also need to recover from building the house.

Most people talk about retiring and and traveling. I don't want to go anywhere. We spend most of our efforts trying to get people to visit us instead.

As far as the financial investment aspect of land - it does offer diversification to a portfolio of stocks and bonds. Most people invest in real estate with rental houses or apartments. I prefer dirt.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #143
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeowyn View Post
I'm not sure what you want to know. I love dirt. We purchased the 94 acres in a remote location in Tennessee where dirt is relatively cheap - but not as productive as somewhere like Iowa. But I'd much rather live in Tennessee. Weather is nice, no state income tax and I love the rolling green hills. I plan to raise cattle so I think it will work out well. We are already talking about buying more land (attached to ours), but first we have to get the land we already own under control - also need to recover from building the house.

Most people talk about retiring and and traveling. I don't want to go anywhere. We spend most of our efforts trying to get people to visit us instead.

As far as the financial investment aspect of land - it does offer diversification to a portfolio of stocks and bonds. Most people invest in real estate with rental houses or apartments. I prefer dirt.
Thank you... That's exactly what I was wondering about.
Now that we've had a chance to be with "farmers" for many years, I see a different part of life that I was never exposed to. Almost to a person, my current friends are more laid back and happy with their lives. Not only the retirees, but their children and their families. Overall, healthier, less stressed and more secure. Not that it's a simple life, or the stereotype "okie", because they are exceptionally well educated and culturally adept... just a little closer to the earth, and living in communities with a basic heritage of honesty and social responsibility. Something that's had to put a dollar value on.

wish you well and a healthy, happy retirement!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #144

I don't include SS in my asset calculation. I am curious. For those who include SS in their asset figure, how do you calculate it?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I don't include SS in my asset calculation. I am curious. For those who include SS in their asset figure, how do you calculate it?
Take the amount of years you estimate you have left to collect it. (now to last year of life)

Then multiply that number of years by the amount you are collecting (or going to collect). you can adjust the yearly amount by COLA, if you wish.

Then take the product of the numbers you multiplied and do a net present value of that figure.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Simple. It's the NPV of the pension cash flow between two dates - when you start and when you stop. All you need are the two dates and a discount rate.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have always considered making such a calculation an unnecessary exercise that tends to generate inaccurate assumptions.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thank you... That's exactly what I was wondering about.
Now that we've had a chance to be with "farmers" for many years, I see a different part of life that I was never exposed to. Almost to a person, my current friends are more laid back and happy with their lives. Not only the retirees, but their children and their families. Overall, healthier, less stressed and more secure. Not that it's a simple life, or the stereotype "okie", because they are exceptionally well educated and culturally adept... just a little closer to the earth, and living in communities with a basic heritage of honesty and social responsibility. Something that's had to put a dollar value on.

wish you well and a healthy, happy retirement!
It is funny you should mention "... living in communities with a basic heritage of honesty and social responsibility". We just had some friends visit us from the Chicago area. They just found and purchased their retirement property about 15 minutes away from where we live. They reminded me of a lot of "legal" type things you think about coming from the city that just aren't as relevant here. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is important to have things like an umbrella policy in place. But if some kid wanders on to my property and gets hurt, it is more likely that their parents will "take them to the wood shed" than sue me.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Plus the house came with new wife.
Damn.....that's one hell of a package deal!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
8 or 9% best guess. Plus the house came with new wife. My old house is up for sale - soon I hope.

heh heh heh -
Congrats on a house coming with the wife, unclemick!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #151

7.5%, no SS or pension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
How do you add Social Security to your net worth since NW is usually assets on hand minus liabilities? Do you take the SS amount and multiple by 25-30 (years)?
As MichaelB says, it's a net present value calculation. You can make a column of numbers in Excel and do an =NPV on it.

Yea, but none of those links have an online calculator, afaict. It would be an easy thing to write. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I looked the other day (I googled it myself without the smart alec-y lmgtfy), and didn't find a calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Simple. It's the NPV of the pension cash flow between two dates - when you start and when you stop. All you need are the two dates and a discount rate.
But we all would need to agree on the same discount rate and the same CPI inflation rate. Both of those are needed since some of us have a LONG time until 70.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Congrats on a house coming with the wife, unclemick!
Yep. Not only is she way better than I deserve her taste in housing (!922 Craftsman Airplane Bungalow) exceeds mine by a mile(1960 3 bedroom, 1 bath ranch).

heh heh heh - Speaking of Thousand Oaks thru my career every Aerospace engineer I met who spent time in CA either lived in or spent time in Thousand Oaks (1960's, 70's).
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote