Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your retirement income comes from "guaranteed" sources?
0% to 25% 83 35.62%
26% to 50% 39 16.74%
51% to 75% 52 22.32%
76% to 100% 59 25.32%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

How much of your retirement income is "guaranteed"?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much of your retirement income is "guaranteed"?

As we get out of the accumulation phase and need to generate income from our retirement savings I was wondering how much of people's income comes from market returns (dividends, capital gains, sale of principal) and how much from "guaranteed" income streams not directly related to the stock or bond markets, like SS, pensions, SPIA, CD interest and perhaps even rent.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right now.... no guaranteed income. I have a DB pension that I can start at anytime, but the annual growth in benefit from 55-60 was pretty good so I deferred starting it but will probably do so next year. I also have a DC plan with an attractive annuitization option that I will likely take as a pension at some point... I have the DC money in a fairly aggressive equity fund so it will grow between now when I start it. Then we have SS.

Once all those come online our guaranteed income will be about 55% of the total. So we'll go from zero to roughly 26% in a couple years and then 55% in 10 years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Just SS for us. CD interest I would say is an FI choice and thus on a par with bonds as a choice. But we could debate that one.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #4

I am not yet retired yet, but here is my plan...

My income from 56 to 62 will be 100% rental income, plus any other extra money I can find. I should be able to save a bit from this income.

Start taking dividends at 62 from my investments and start selling rental properties. One property per year.

Add in a $15K annual pension at 65 from my mega corp employer.

Add in $3K per month from SS at 70.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is any retirement income truly guaranteed?

Kinda like there is no such thing as a free lunch.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post

Notice I used " " around guaranteed in my post

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not able to retire yet, but a military pension for a Lieutenant Colonel retiring at 20 years is about $4000 a month right now. Assuming that inflation and pay increases closely match for the next nine years, I hope to retire at 20 years of service with 100% of normal expenses + taxes paid out of that $48K (inflation adjusted). Rental income, investments, etc would pay for lifestyle upgrades on a case-by-case basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is any retirement income truly guaranteed?....
Did you note that the OP put guaranteed in quotes?

SS and most pensions are about as guaranteed as you can get.... as are annuities issued by a credit worthy insurer (which is most of them). It's all relative... relative to portfolio returns.... those sources are guaranteed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

Counting 100% of DH's SS and a percentage of our rental income, we're at 35% from "guaranteed" sources.

It will increase to 42% in a year when I "turn on" my two small pensions. (In my case, they are not cola'd and there is not a huge increase in waiting so I'm going to start drawing them.)

It will increase to 62% when I draw SS in 8 years.

And all that assumes our budget stays the same. I'm looking at a shrinking budget in 10 years or less as the kids get shoved out of the nest.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #10

Zip. Maybe in about 15 years when social security rolls in.

I never had any guaranteed income before why start now?
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:

About 40% of mine if from a local government pension ( Large CA city, not in the state Calpers system ) If they go BK and stop paying , I will start seizing city assets to sell or lease out. Part of this draconian plan would be to commandeer a group of parking meters in a busy area, and collect the quarters and nickels until my tiny pension $ is met for the mo.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The old FIRE vs SIRE question. Nothing wrong with asking again though, a distinction that probably isn't clarified here often enough. 100% SIRE is a different perspective than 0% SI when it comes to many questions posed on ER.org. Makes me cringe when I see a very high SI member answer a question posed by a newbie very low SI member without qualifying...

None yet, but we'll be about 20% SI when all is said and done (as my sig line shows)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

How much of a diversified stock portfolio is guaranteed? Same question for bonds.

My guess is one can count on 40% of the stocks in a really terrible market. Maybe 70% of the bonds. So for a 50/50 AA, maybe worst is 55% of the portfolio is going to be spendable. Assumes we go down and don't come back in one's lifetime. And no rebalancing.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #14
Administrator

Even when SS kicks in our guaranteed portion will be less than 10%, as I contributed little more than the minimum needed to qualify.

We have the option of purchasing an annuity, which would increase that number, but I don't think the benefit outweighs the cost.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My pension pays about 40% of my living expenses. I have another 5 years until SS which will cover just about everything else. Since I have 3 years left on my home mortgage, living expenses are a bit higher for now. For that reason, I have 3 years worth of needed money in a money market account in my 401k.
FedExCourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #16

Our 2 pensions cover 55% of expenses currently. One is non-COLA, so that % decreases over time. Rentals cover another 15%. With SS, we go well over 100%, but we'll probably sell the rentals before that, so it's right at 100%. The non-COLA pension eventually pulls it back down to 90%.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #17

Probably 91% this year and 97% next year depending on if expenses go back closer to average. Am loosening the purse strings after a lifetime of frugality to avoid being the richest ashes in the sea. Add in the muni interest which, while not "guaranteed" is pretty steady...
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

With mine and DW military pension, DW FERS Pension, VA Disabilities income; over 100% before SS kicks in.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our guaranteed retirement income is in the highest % bracket now, but that is because we are not drawing off retirement accounts and live off Social Security and taxable accounts dividends (no pensions or annuities). We both started SS @ 62 and are controlling taxable income stream due to the ACA subsidy. Will be a tricky income scenario as we age with manipulation of income before/after 70.5 RMD's (after 65 for medicare) will put us in the much lower to lowest range of guaranteed income bracket. Wife's SS is used for travel and extras to remind us that it will go away when one of us does. My SS and taxable account dividends are used to cover our living expenses.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

About 48% of my income originates from "guaranteed" sources, including
  • Social Security
  • tiny pension
  • equal monthly payments from the TSP G Fund.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote