How On Earth Do I Go About Finding a Fiduciary?

SoReadyToRetire

Recycles dryer sheets
I feel in desperate need of a straight-talking fiduciary financial advisor. I'd prefer someone local to me, so I can go in, sit down, and have a good chat, write notes, ask lots of questions, pose lots of what-ifs, etc.

How on earth do I go about finding one?

I just googled "fiduciary advisors near me" and was taken to OneDayInJuly.com. I've seen their commercials, and they look good on their website (of course), but--how do you know? Apparently most of their advisors have only been working for a couple of years--that's scary.

I live in VT, so it's not exactly a swarming metropolis filled with lots of choices.

Help? Any recommendations?

You could check for an hourly advisor who will have no reason to sell you products. Garret Financial Planning is one that I am aware of in my area. They are nationwide I believe.

I do not use them and am just giving you one idea.

VW

That 's the first question to ask. "Are you a fiduciary CFP?" The answer should be a single word.

I feel in desperate need of a straight-talking fiduciary financial advisor. I'd prefer someone local to me, so I can go in, sit down, and have a good chat, write notes, ask lots of questions, pose lots of what-ifs, etc.

How on earth do I go about finding one?

I just googled "fiduciary advisors near me" and was taken to OneDayInJuly.com. I've seen their commercials, and they look good on their website (of course), but--how do you know? Apparently most of their advisors have only been working for a couple of years--that's scary.

I live in VT, so it's not exactly a swarming metropolis filled with lots of choices.

I would have suggested OneDayinJuly.... they are local and while I don't know them, I like the approach that they take... I can't see that it would hurt to meet with them.

Another alternative is to just post your most critical questions and concerns here and do it yourself.

I also know of a fee only FA in the NEK and I'll PM his contact info to you.

Last edited:
I feel in desperate need of a straight-talking fiduciary financial advisor.

Would you really benefit from a fiduciary financial advisor at this point?

Probably all you need to do is to slow down, stay calm, read here, absorb it, and relax. I recall you starting threads recently, that I'd describe as "bouncing off the walls". Going all cash, then options trading, then a dividend portfolio (which is just another sector play), to advising your sister with a non-diversified portfolio not to sell because that stock will go up?

You are unlikely to time the market successfully, you are unlikely to pick a sector successfully, you are unlikely to predict a stock movement successfully.

Is there any reason that a 2 or 3 fund/ETF "couch potato" portfolio that would be set and forget would not work for you (like it has for so many others here)? What would an FA tell you that would be likely to be better? They don't have a crystal ball either.

-ERD50

....Is there any reason that a 2 or 3 fund/ETF "couch potato" portfolio that would be set and forget would not work for you (like it has for so many others here)? What would an FA tell you that would be likely to be better? They don't have a crystal ball either.

-ERD50

+1 OP has indicated that FIRECalc is 100% so a simple balanced fund or couch potato portfolio should work fine. It would be helpful to know what OP's concerns and questions are but I am also skeptical that a FA is needed other than perhaps for hand-holding.

+1 on What ERD and Ski said.

Remember, fiduciary or not, the first job of an FA is to make some of your money their money. That kind of "hand holding" can get expensive, particularly over time with an AUM arrangement. It's a lot cheaper to:

-read here
-read JL Collins blog
-read Wade Pfau
-read Bogleheads
etc.

You could try CFP.net for a certified planner.

Is there any reason that a 2 or 3 fund/ETF "couch potato" portfolio that would be set and forget would not work for you (like it has for so many others here)? What would an FA tell you that would be likely to be better? They don't have a crystal ball either.

-ERD50

This is the approach a significant majority of us take. Some always have, some after learning and reading here. Look at the "lazy portfolios" on bogle.

Back
Top Bottom