Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny, I acquired selective-ignoring as a member of a family, and often apply it at work. Nothing like siblings who infuriate you one minute, and crack you up the next.

In almost 5 years, I have only ever put one forum member on "ignore." I did it so I would not be tempted to respond to their posts. So it was more about my weakness, than theirs.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Learning to ignore what some people say is a skill I acquired at work and often apply at family get-togethers.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
....I said donating time AND money is American. ....
Thanks for the clarification.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Learning to ignore what some people say is a skill I acquired at work and often apply at family get-togethers.

Come on, folks. Lets take a step back, a deep breath, and remember we're friends who can disagree but stay friends.
Can we infer this is a sign of wisdom?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In almost 5 years, I have only ever put one forum member on "ignore."
Amethyst
I hope it is not me.

I love the way this thread went through several topics and I just have to put a mark on it.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Learning to ignore what some people say is a skill I acquired at work
lol....+1!

Quote:
and often apply at family get-togethers.
+10!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #86

I hope no one has but me on a ignore list. I like you all.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Did someone post something?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not to be too cynical, but complex tax codes that legally allow deductions and "tax expenditures" to narrow groups is exactly what campaign contributions buy. That's why they're never addressed despite populist support, they just add new ones and increase complexity. Campaign finance is at the root of many of our policy issues...often making debates on issues irrelevant.
That's why overturning Buckley vs Valeo would be one of the best things that could happen for more responsive (to the people) US politics. But, alas, I seriously doubt it will ever happen. I'm not sure if it was the American thing to do or not, but my donations went to The National Voting Rights Institute (NVRI) for years to help them fight this battle. But the primary mover/shaker, John Bonifaz, finally moved on.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Funny, I acquired selective-ignoring as a member of a family, and often apply it at work. Nothing like siblings who infuriate you one minute, and crack you up the next.
Sis? Is that you?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did someone post something?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

What was this thread about?

Oh, I remember now. Actually I was proud to be able to structure my finances so that my federal income tax last year, my first full year of retirement, was zero! Probably the first time since I was a young teenager.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #92

I have only one name on my ignore list, I must say it is very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Try it, you will like it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yea, it is a feature that grows on you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I can't hear you.jpg (7.6 KB, 169 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
None for me, but there have been a few close calls over the years.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Years and years ago, in another life, I worked for the Canadian version of the IRS. I was in a group that conducted personal and business audits.

Computerization was used to scan returns for anomalies, but those that were got spit out were reviewed by our supervisors.

One type of return ALWAYS got marked for audit. It was the returns where the individual appeared to tithe at 10 percent. But when the donation and the income were matched, the numbers did not jive.

Invariably, on those returns that were selected for audit, the charitable donations were spot on.....while the income was understated by a considerable amount. They were the easiest audits for us as we had a goal of how much we should be recovering per hour of audit.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Years and years ago, in another life, I worked for the Canadian version of the IRS. I was in a group that conducted personal and business audits.

Computerization was used to scan returns for anomalies, but those that were got spit out were reviewed by our supervisors.

One type of return ALWAYS got marked for audit. It was the returns where the individual appeared to tithe at 10 percent. But when the donation and the income were matched, the numbers did not jive.

Invariably, on those returns that were selected for audit, the charitable donations were spot on.....while the income was understated by a considerable amount. They were the easiest audits for us as we had a goal of how much we should be recovering per hour of audit.
Well my heavens, how could this be Must be a solely Canadian thing, you think?

Ha
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm curious about this. I would think it would be rather tough to find understated income. Wouldn't that take some detective work?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

It is very easy...unless it is cash income or cheques deposited in an offshore account.

Tax authorities have access to bank accounts-whether or not the taxpayer is cooperative.

If you have the bank accounts, it is a fairly simple process to add up the deposits, then subtract all the non income items such as term deposits being redeemed, etc. You will then have a handle on income and can go back and tick off the items that are accounted for. I can recall a few of my audits where the charitable donations to churches were especially high compared to declared income. Once I had the bank statements it did not take long to find the unreported income.

And if it is a cash situation, a net worth can be done for each year and the income deduced. The latter is more difficult.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just curious - if the donation and income numbers didn't "jive" how would you know that the individual "appeared" to tithe at 10%? versus that their contributions were just lower than 10% of their reported income?

IOW, if all you know is the reported income and reported contributions number how could you have any insight as to whether a taxpayer tithed or not? (absent some sort of profiling based on surname or whatever).

Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just curious - if the donation and income numbers didn't "jive" how would you know that the individual "appeared" to tithe at 10%? versus that their contributions were just lower than 10% of their reported income?

IOW, if all you know is the reported income and reported contributions number how could you have any insight as to whether a taxpayer tithed or not? (absent some sort of profiling based on surname or whatever).
I think what he is saying is, if they see $50,000 reported income, and $5,000 reported donations, that it raised red flags.

They maybe reporting all their donations, but not reporting all their income. Based on his observation that actual 10% donations was rare.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote