Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How should I invest my savings?
Old 07-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wab mentioned that the only good reason for holding
a TIPS fund is for liquidity. Otherwise, holding individual TIPS to maturity is better. My question is this:

What if you are in the withdrawal stage and need
4% withdrawal rate for living expenses? At current
real rates, it looks like you can't get there from
here, with 100% allocated to TIPS, unless you buy a ladder of TIPS and cash them as they mature. That
seems awkward at best to me, but doable.

Bob_Smith, you recently bought long term TIPS at 2.5%
and I believe you plan to hold them to maturity. Would
you share your withdrawal strategy with us?

Thanks and Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #62

Charlie, I've got a 10-year ladder that's a combination of CDs, TIPS, and other bonds. That takes care of about half of my income requirements for the next decade.

I also have longer term bonds, and like Bob_Smith I picked up a big chunk of 2.5% TIPS with maturities of 25+ years. The long-term bonds on the secondary market have high coupons (close to 4%), so you could directly live off of the coupon even though the effective yield is 2.5% (based on the price you'd pay for the bonds).
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:20 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Where is a good place to park money that you probably won't need for 1 to 3 years, but ya may ?
bobbee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Charlie, I've got a 10-year ladder that's a combination of CDs, TIPS, and other bonds. That takes care of about half of my income requirements for the next decade.
Wab,

What would you guess your ladder is besting a Short term bond index fund? In terms of a percent over the 10 years?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #65

Quote:
What would you guess your ladder is besting a Short term bond index fund? In terms of *a percent over the 10 years?
Excluding TIPS, my weighted average coupon is just over 7%. Vanguard's short-term bond index fund yields just over 3%.

I only exclude TIPS because I don't know their total yield until I know what inflation will do, but if you assume inflation will be in the 2-5% range, 10-year TIPS will yield between 4-7%, which doesn't look too bad compared to other bonds.

I also own a chunk of short-term corporate, which I use like a money market. While the quoted yield is over 3%, there have been capital losses this year due to rising interest rates, so the return has been about zero YTD, which is very close to money market rates.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What if you are in the withdrawal stage and need 4% withdrawal rate for living expenses? *At current real rates, it looks like you can't get there from here, with 100% allocated to TIPS, *unless you buy a ladder of TIPS and cash them as they mature. *That seems awkward at best to me, but doable. *

Bob_Smith, you *recently bought long term TIPS at 2.5% and I believe you plan to hold them to maturity. Would you share your withdrawal strategy with us?
Charlie, since LT TIPS on the secondary market have coupons close to 4% real, you could conceivably spend down your assets without liquidating as you go and without laddering. That's one of the advantages I see in the older LT TIPS. I do plan to hold until maturity and will spend the coupon. But I'm not 100% in TIPS and I don't plan to be.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dante,

Have you looked at what it is going to take to double your $1.0M? You can model your future contributions and use the "rule of 72" to get a rough idea of when your $1.0M turns into $2.0M. It may be easier to keep your existing house (and purchase health benefits) with $2.0M.

I have a goal to have $1.0M in investments and $500K in home equity by age 47. My plan is to turn the $1.0M into $2.0M/$2.5M by age 55 and retire. I will also have a pension at age 55 with Health Benefits.

You are an inspiration to us young dreamers.
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Where is a good place to park money that you probably won't need for 1 to 3 years, but ya may ?
Assuming you want to preserve capital, your choices are basically:

1) money market, and you can get up to 2.5% by using a corportate money market (Ford, GM, credit card companies, etc).

2) CDs, and you should be able to get something like 3% and an option to cash out early if you need to (hint: buy multiple CDs instead of one big one so you can cash out part of your funds if you need to).

3) i-bonds, currently paying over 3%, but limited to $60K a year per SSN
Old 07-11-2004, 10:21 PM   #69

Quote:
Dante, *

Have you looked at what it is going to take to double your $1.0M? *You can model your future contributions and use the "rule of 72" to get a rough idea of when your $1.0M turns into $2.0M. *It may be easier to keep your existing house (and purchase health benefits) with $2.0M. *

I have a goal to have $1.0M in investments and $500K in home equity by age 47. *My plan is to turn the $1.0M into $2.0M/$2.5M by age 55 and retire. *I will also have a pension at age 55 with Health Benefits. *

You are an inspiration to us young dreamers. *
Trace,

I have not actually thought about doubling the $1.0M in the next 8 years - I am assuming you mean through investment gains and savings - but now that you have mentioned it, I will.

If I continue to be employed the way I have been in the past, its probably possible to get to the $2.0M, but work-life balance would continue to suffer and I would not be able to free myself of this corporate bondage ever.

The other way to do it is to get a 9% annual return on my investments, and then in 8 years, I would be at $2M. To do this, I would have to get very aggressive with my asset allocation and I am not sure how to do that yet.

I never thought I would be an inspiration to the young dreamers but thanks.

What kind of steps are you considering to take to go from $1M to $2-2.5M?

Its terrific that you can get a pension and health benefits at 55. Is it a Fortune 500 company or a private firm that is still offering those kinds of benefits?

Dante

Old 07-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dante,

I have worked for the same Fortune 500 company since graduating from College. I feel very fortunate to have a pension plan in addition to an employer match on the 401K.

My plan at age 47 is to have a 53% / 47% asset allocation and adjust this once a year (using the 100 - age rule). 53% would be the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund. 47% Total Bond Market Index Fund (I would probably use the Short Term index fund instead at this point in time to lower the interest rate risk). I will probably make some minor tweaks to the asset allocation to gain some exposure to International and REIT.

I certainly understand that it may be more difficult to make this decision once you already have $1.0M in the bank :-)
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote