Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Reading this thread with interest because I am wanting to buy a new car. I contacted Costco about their program and none of the participating dealerships are close. I am one of the people who absolutely dreads car shopping. That is one of the reasons that I prefer to keep my cars for along time.
Costco is just one way to get (way) past MSRP and lesser deals. If all the participating dealers are too far to even drive to, then just move on to edmunds.com or any of the many internet dealmakers. Even then, it's just a place to start - you can do better from there. It's not hard, it just takes some discipline, and a willingness to wait them out for the best deal - only takes a few days.

I started this thread, and actually put it to work again here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2006255

Saved $4900 off MSRP, in less than 24 hours with a couple hours work all told...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you already know the vehicle you want here are some brokers from over on leasehackr:

https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/reviews
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #163

If anyone is in the market for a compact SUV the Toyota RAV4s are a good deal right now, seeing offers of 20% or more off of MSRP. New model is coming out later this year, salesman for a dealer here in the ATL is quoting $6500 off of list for 2018 LE's and XLE's.

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...5&postcount=32

If you can deal with domestic the Chevy Equinox is also heavily discounted, seen some going for almost $10k off of list (around $17k for a $27k model). Think you have to finance some portion with GM to get all the rebates here.

http://www.bomninchevrolet.com/Vehic...alePrice%7Casc

Please post deals like these if you see them, I'm in the market but not sure what to get at this point. If you're willing to fly in and drive out the whole country is available IMO, as long as you can get a solid deal confirmed upfront.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I was told that Toyota is doing a makeover on the 2019 RAV4. Could be why they want to reduce inventory.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #165

I live 60 mi from one major metro area and 100 mi from another, and the truecar and AAA services would not look at the second area but only the first, which proved to be a problem because dealers in the second area had more cars with the safety system than the dealers in the first. (blind spot detection, lane departure warning ....) Short of lying about the zip code I could not figure out how to tell the services to look at both areas. (When buying a car an additional drive of 80 total miles is nothing)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I was told that Toyota is doing a makeover on the 2019 RAV4. Could be why they want to reduce inventory.
+1. 2019 RAV4 Redesign

Old 06-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I live 60 mi from one major metro area and 100 mi from another, and the truecar and AAA services would not look at the second area but only the first, which proved to be a problem because dealers in the second area had more cars with the safety system than the dealers in the first. (blind spot detection, lane departure warning ....) Short of lying about the zip code I could not figure out how to tell the services to look at both areas. (When buying a car an additional drive of 80 total miles is nothing)

I'm in a similar situation as you, we have a few small local dealers but the two major cities are 80/200 miles away. I didn't have much luck using TrueCar, had better luck just working directly with the dealers Internet manager and playing the offers off among them. I prefer to buy local and have had good luck getting them to match any offers from the dealers in the two major cities, they seem use to it and even expect it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven’t decided on the make and model of vehicle that I want. My motivation for trading is the new safety systems. This will probably be a months long process.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Haven’t decided on the make and model of vehicle that I want. My motivation for trading is the new safety systems. This will probably be a months long process.
I can’t say I was motivated by the ‘new safety systems,’ but when I bought in Feb I chose a car that had every new safety system short of semi-autonomous driving assistance. It’s been fun to use them over the last four months - some features are very worthwhile, some are more gimmicks for our use, might be considered more valuable to others.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #170
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just curious...what features do find very worthwhile? I know I want a backup camera. I have even considered adding one to my current vehicle as an aftermarket add on.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #171

DW just bought a new Kia Soul , probably one of the hottest cars selling today . List price was 22880 .00 She got the car for 16600 .00 after everything was complete . For years I have not been able to buy a Ford or Chevrolet because they do not deal real good around here . For 2017 and 2018 Kia was ranked as the number one auto manufacturer. BUT Gullo Ford in Conroe has a few Base model 2018 Mustangs ,6cyl ,6spd manual for 18880.00 this to me Rocks !

Oh by the way the backup camera and lane sensors are std. with Kia. love to get a Stinger !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just curious...what features do find very worthwhile? I know I want a backup camera. I have even considered adding one to my current vehicle as an aftermarket add on.
My post from another thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2049823

Old 06-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #173

I know this sounds funny , a guy that is not up on things . In DW car she wanted backup camera , 17" chrome premium wheels , automatic headlights , automatic trans.
Bluetooth. 2litre engine. The car came with much more but this is all she wanted . Some features are overrated .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the information and link! VERY interesting and useful. After reading this, I also checked YouTube and there are several video reviews of the 2019 Rav4. I have been considering the Rav4 among the top 3 "contenders" when I buy my new SUV later this year (I am in no rush to buy, but will eventually).

It is possible that I might prefer the 2019 Rav4 to the present Rav4 because apparently it has more cargo space. Definitely one to think about, when I decide to buy my new SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
[…]In DW car she wanted […]. The car came with much more but this is all she wanted . Some features are overrated .
I agree! My list of what I want is,

(1) Two rows of seats instead of 3 rows
(2) remote entry
(3) push button ignition
(4) moderate to ample cargo space (not tiny/cramped),
(5) remote power tailgate operation (preferably using the key fob as with my Venza),
(6) excellent expected repair record, and
(6) Given the above, the least amount of excess electronics possible.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(6) Given the above, the least amount of excess electronics possible.
Not possible anymore.

The computers in the car control everything these days--even the interior lights. The darn thing even monitors the steering wheel and if you hold it completely steady for 30-60 seconds it thinks you have fallen asleep and makes a beep noise and flashes "STEERING REQUIRED" on the instrument panel.

If any enemy country explodes an EMP weapon over the United States, the only cars that will still work will be a '58 Chevy and the like.

--------------

The RAV4 really needed an update. We loved our 2010 RAV4, but when we decided to buy a new car last year the 2017 model was not much different than the 2010. The Honda CR-V beat it hands-down, in features.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
DW just bought a new Kia Soul , probably one of the hottest cars selling today . List price was 22880 .00 She got the car for 16600 .00 after everything was complete . For years I have not been able to buy a Ford or Chevrolet because they do not deal real good around here . For 2017 and 2018 Kia was ranked as the number one auto manufacturer. BUT Gullo Ford in Conroe has a few Base model 2018 Mustangs ,6cyl ,6spd manual for 18880.00 this to me Rocks !
We have bought two new Fords from Gullo over the years. Best deals in the greater north Houston area. When I was pricing new trucks, they were several thousand dollars under the Costco pricing (like $8 K).
Old 06-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
If anyone is in the market for a compact SUV the Toyota RAV4s are a good deal right now, seeing offers of 20% or more off of MSRP. New model is coming out later this year, salesman for a dealer here in the ATL is quoting $6500 off of list for 2018 LE's and XLE's.

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...5&postcount=32

If you can deal with domestic the Chevy Equinox is also heavily discounted, seen some going for almost $10k off of list (around $17k for a $27k model). Think you have to finance some portion with GM to get all the rebates here.

Miami Chevrolet Dealer - Bomnin Chevrolet Miami New & Used

Please post deals like these if you see them, I'm in the market but not sure what to get at this point. If you're willing to fly in and drive out the whole country is available IMO, as long as you can get a solid deal confirmed upfront.

Wow, Bomnin Chev has a $895 dealer/doc fee, not included in the advertised price. Still a good price, but ya gotta read the fine print.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Wow, Bomnin Chev has a $895 dealer/doc fee, not included in the advertised price. Still a good price, but ya gotta read the fine print.
Yup, always ask for an "out the door" price.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
As part of the negotiations I usually tell them that I'm not paying for them to do their paperwork... that is a cost of their doing business... (I don't add that I'm not going to pay them to sit through their stupid pitches for ripoff add-ons that I don't want)..... they typically have either reduced the purchase price or incresed the trade (where applicable) so on an out-the-door basis I'm not paying it... fine with me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
....If anyone has any advice on cell phone purchasing, please shed some light...I feel like I am financially assaulted every time my phone is upgraded.
I go with "Buy your own phone"... I have a Motorola/Lenovo Moto G4 Play that cost ~$150 from BestBuy about a year and a half ago IIRC and totally fits my modest needs... I have no need for a $500 or $800 phone when a $150 phone does the job well.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote