How to figure out when Roth conversions are worth it?

I think the marginal rate is calculated as the tax on the next dollar of income, when one adds the NIIT, IRMAA etc...
Or (change in tax)/(change in income) as the BH wiki suggests.

I am UNABLE to calculate accurately our future marginal tax rate, but...IF ANYTHING our future income will be more, so our marginal Tax Rate will be MORE than what it is today.
In my way of thinking/calculating, I need to be comfortable with the present MFJ 24% tax bracket & KEEP ROTH CONVERSIONS going every year as our future marginal taxes will not be less & will probably be more.

Not even talking about paying jumbo taxes for the survivor.
Seems a reasonable way of thinking. One qualifier might be "don't deplete the traditional account so much that the RMDs are as large as you assumed when deciding to make large Roth conversions."

Thanks Exchme for your insightful post,

Yes the large health care expense of > 7.5% of AGI in a year could be taken as tax deduction as well as upto $100k/yr QCD after age of 70 towards charity.

We do have a Donor Advised Fund funded we use for donations presently.

I did buy Pralana Gold, but the initial work with Excel got me down so I dropped it & am waiting for their online version.

I use the what if form of the Turbo Tax to approximate the Roth conversions I can do without stepping over the various lines, but did underestimate the conversions this year.

I am planning to stop conversions & keep a IRA balance of 3-400k for above future purposes.

Thanks

I do regular Roth conversions while the tax bracket is below 20%. Above that I just feel is too much.

Wouldn't you execute the conversion by just transferring assets from a tIRA to the Roth so there is no restarting all? That's what I do when I do a Roth conversion. No gains are lost.

Thanks, we plan conversions in 2024 - 2029. I want to make sure we can keep the interest rates on the CDs and treasuries.

I'm finally getting around to looking at Roth conversions and I'm struggling to deal with all of the factors. Rough situation:

1. DW and I are 60. We will take SS at 67. We will have a combined amount of ~$60k.
2. We have way more in after-tax than pre-tax. Our pre-tax IRA's are around $1.5M. We produce about $100k of after-tax income, of which about 40% is capital gains with qualified dividends.
3. Only a tiny pension of $2500 per year that never rises. We will stop earning any money from consulting,etc starting next year.
4. We would probably start RMD's at age 75. Until then, we'd probably live off after tax accounts. I can't find the table that shows how much to withdraw starting at age 75. All of the tables start at 72 or 73.
5. We might need Obamacare for 3 years starting in 2 years.
6. I'm pretty sure we will end up in the 22% tax bracket typically, until the RMD's hit. For now, I'm assuming 22% bracket. Theoretically I could get after-tax income down into the 12% bracket if I tried hard enough.
7. My health is such that I would be surprised to make it past 81. My wife might.
8. I haven't yet started looking at Medicare IRMAA. Does that get recalculated constantly? Don't understand anything yet about that calculation.

Should we be doing Roth conversions? I guess once the RMD's hit at age 75+, it would bump us into the 24% or maybe even 32% bracket? So many moving parts.

I'm finally getting around to looking at Roth conversions and I'm struggling to deal with all of the factors. Rough situation:

1. DW and I are 60. We will take SS at 67. We will have a combined amount of ~$60k.
2. We have way more in after-tax than pre-tax. Our pre-tax IRA's are around $1.5M. We produce about $100k of after-tax income, of which about 40% is capital gains with qualified dividends.
3. Only a tiny pension of $2500 per year that never rises. We will stop earning any money from consulting,etc starting next year.
4. We would probably start RMD's at age 75. Until then, we'd probably live off after tax accounts. I can't find the table that shows how much to withdraw starting at age 75. All of the tables start at 72 or 73.
5. We might need Obamacare for 3 years starting in 2 years.
6. I'm pretty sure we will end up in the 22% tax bracket typically, until the RMD's hit. For now, I'm assuming 22% bracket. Theoretically I could get after-tax income down into the 12% bracket if I tried hard enough.
7. My health is such that I would be surprised to make it past 81. My wife might.
8. I haven't yet started looking at Medicare IRMAA. Does that get recalculated constantly? Don't understand anything yet about that calculation.

Should we be doing Roth conversions? I guess once the RMD's hit at age 75+, it would bump us into the 24% or maybe even 32% bracket? So many moving parts.

I'm far from claiming even the barest level of expertise on this topic, so take anything I say with that in mind. That said, have been following all the Roth conversion threads in an attempt at understanding.

Seems to me that the biggest reason for you to consider conversion is that your wife may be plunged into a higher tax bracket sooner than typical given your shorter life expectancy. But, the impact is gonna depend on your taxable income at that point in time.

One thing I've taken away from the whole Roth conversion discussion is that there is usually no right answer unless you are able to convert at very low rates, like 0%-12%. Beyond that, its a roll of the dice on pay now vs pay later.

Personally, I like the idea of doing some conversions. I have about $2M of pre-tax t-IRA/401K dollars, and that's projected to grow to nearly $5M by the time I reach age 75 (assuming untouched) and start kicking off ~$200K of RMD, escalating rapidly from there. If I convert $500M of that to Roth, I can lower the pre-tax dollars to $4M by age 75, RMD of $160K. But, in converting, I will have pre-paid a mess of taxes.

So, in the end, would it be worth it. Actually, in my case, it's hard to get the math to work unless I kick off really early, like in my early 70's, and even then the benefit too DW is fairly small. I suspect this is because I'll always be in a relatively high tax bracket, at/near 22% and above. Not much juice to squeeze at that level. Nonetheless, I like the idea of having a bucket of tax-free money for potential lumpy expenses, so I don't get thrust into an even higher tax bracket in a big BTD year.

P.S. Meant to note that we're close in age, retirement income, and level of pre-tax assets, so thought might be helpful to share my thinking on the topic. Also, similarly we have somewhat more taxable than pre-tax, so don't expect to ever need to touch the pre-tax stuff, absent RMD's.

P.S. Thinking about it further, summarizing my reasons for planning some amount of conversions (in spite of fact that models are telling me it doesn't much matter in my case):
(1) Income and tax smoothing - avoid getting pushed into higher tax brackets in lumpy expense years (difficult to model)
(2) Hedge against higher tax bracket if one of us becomes a single filer
(3) Hedge against future legislative tax increases which I view as very real risk (state and fed)
(4) Depending on how I go about liquidating r.e. investments, might have a bucket of after-tax cash to use to strategically lower tax bracket for a few years and facilitate some conversions below the 22% bracket. TBD

Last edited:
I
4. You are looking at the correct RMD table. The value at 75 is correct whether you started taking RMDs at 72, or 73, or in your case at 75.
8. You should read Harry Sit's article 2024 2025 2026 Medicare Part B IRMAA Premium MAGI Brackets. He updates this article monthly after the new inflation numbers are available mid month.

OP: We are in a somewhat similar situation in my household. I am retired but my wife is still working. We have a considerable amount in our tax deferred accounts - over $3.5M. However, we can't start Roth conversions until my wife (eventually) decides to retire as we are currently in a high tax bracket on just her income alone. My only solution is to wait until my wife retires and enjoy my retirement in the meanwhile :)

So, I've spent the last two days digging around and man is this topic complicated. Between Obamacare, IRMAA, one spouse living much longer, living long vs not, government action on taxes, government action on social security, the challenges of record keeping if you do conversions, uncertainty over returns over the next 10-20 years, etc. it is really difficult to understand the value of conversions.

I have a subcription to New Retirement and they have a tool/module for Roth conversions that show you can increase your net worth by hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not $1M plus, by doing conversions, but it's so hard to fork out big dollars over the next several years, to maybe get this "back-end" benefit that you might die before getting to enjoy it.

And if you did die in your early to mid-70's, well then your heirs are just having to pay taxes over 10 years at their income tax rate, which is going to be a lot lower than a retiree with a large savings and big RMD's.

And if you did die in your early to mid-70's, well then your heirs are just having to pay taxes over 10 years at their income tax rate, which is going to be a lot lower than a retiree with a large savings and big RMD's.

Your heirs will have the big RMD's added to their salary - not likely they will have a lower tax rate.

The saving grace is that even if we end up paying 22% on RMDs or if my heirs end up paying 22% is that it is still lower than the 33% (28% federal and 5% state) that I avoided paying when I deferred that income. No state anymore since we moved. So at least 11% savings.

The saving grace is that even if we end up paying 22% on RMDs or if my heirs end up paying 22% is that it is still lower than the 33% (28% federal and 5% state) that I avoided paying when I deferred that income. No state anymore since we moved. So at least 11% savings.

Yes, good reminder. I've spent the last 20 years either at the highest income tax bracket or the next to highest bracket, so irrespective of any actions we might take on conversions, we'll come out ahead. The next question is one of optimization, or better yet IMO, risk management. Similar to the question of SS timing, I view Roth conversion in the light of hedging/insuring against potential future outcomes, a luxury of choice I'm happy to have.

So, I've spent the last two days digging around and man is this topic complicated. Between Obamacare, IRMAA, one spouse living much longer, living long vs not, government action on taxes, government action on social security, the challenges of record keeping if you do conversions, uncertainty over returns over the next 10-20 years, etc. it is really difficult to understand the value of conversions.

I have a subcription to New Retirement and they have a tool/module for Roth conversions that show you can increase your net worth by hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not $1M plus, by doing conversions, but it's so hard to fork out big dollars over the next several years, to maybe get this "back-end" benefit that you might die before getting to enjoy it.

It might be nice to leave your heirs some Roth IRA money, which will be tax free for them.

Now retired, I have exactly the same thoughts on my mind, as I enter this next chapter in my finance 101 class. Why is this so difficult to follow?
I know others will say, oh it is a good problem to have!! :angel:

Good points on the heirs likely paying at higher tax rates due to the additive nature of the RMDs on top of their salaries. Also, the comment about hedging against future uncertainty also rings true for me. One of the reasons I have larger after-tax holdings than pretax is that I’ve never trusted the government on tax policy. I’ve thought about doing some conversions but not a lot to hedge the decision itself, but somewhere in this site I had read that approach is potentially the worst strategy to pursue. Not sure why.

Heh, in my case we intend to stay in CA, so as far as I can tell, no savings to be had. Ah well, like I said, seems to be a good problem to be having, not a bad one.

Now retired, I have exactly the same thoughts on my mind, as I enter this next chapter in my finance 101 class. Why is this so difficult to follow?
I know others will say, oh it is a good problem to have!! :angel:

Heh, yeah, I wish the analysis were simpler. At least I feel more assured that I'm correct for my particular circumstances that it isn't hugely beneficial to do Roth conversions.

it's so hard to fork out big dollars over the next several years, to maybe get this "back-end" benefit that you might die before getting to enjoy it.

You're looking at this wrong. If you don't convert or withdraw your tIRA money, you canNOT enjoy (spend) it. If you convert, all you have to do is a tax-free withdrawal from a Roth to enjoy the money. With conversions over the years it's a handy source of funds for a large purchase without seeing a large tax hit at a higher rate from a tIRA for the purchase. It's true that you have to fork over some dollars now to make a conversions, but you make available a lot more money for you to enjoy. Don't think of Roth IRA money as sacred money that you can't spend until you've exhausted the rest of your money.

Heh, in my case we intend to stay in CA, so as far as I can tell, no savings to be had. Ah well, like I said, seems to be a good problem to be having, not a bad one.

If you end up paying the same or more in taxes in retirement than you did when you were working and deferred that income then you obviously were much more financially successful than you expected to be because otherwise you would not have deferred that income, so congratulations! Good going!

If you end up paying the same or more in taxes in retirement than you did when you were working and deferred that income then you obviously were much more financially successful than you expected to be because otherwise you would not have deferred that income, so congratulations! Good going!

I agree with you pb, but my financial successful happened, because I did without and flew below the radar while loading up in tax deferred accounts?

I do regular Roth conversions while the tax bracket is below 20%. Above that I just feel is too much.

Same.

In Retirement if I am so lucky to last this long, I will pay tax on...

Dividend Income
Pension Income
Inherited IRA RMD
RMD
Social Security Income

I did a $110,000 roth conversion this year. IF I do $20,000 conversions from the time I retire until RMD is due, I will have 4% of my portfolio subject to RMD. Right now 66% of our portfolio is in Roth or Broker. The rest is in taxable IRA. It sure does feel good knowing I will basically minimize my own RMD to almost nothing.

IF I can do MORE conversions below the 22% bracket, I will convert up to that bracket. I can probably do a very large conversion next year since I will have significant business losses this year.

Since my profits and losses pass through from my business to personal income tax return, it allows lots of room for roth conversions.

Owning businesses is a great reward.

We did a similar strategy with DF. I believe the conversion strategy will account for close to $500,000 in tax savings and investment opportunities gained by moving all that money early before it compounds with the returns.

Back
Top Bottom